Do you ever call AK on preflop?

L

Liru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I do, I like to mix it up and think many people can have the better ace but in reality I have the better kicker so out of 10 times I get AK I will raise about 6 or 7 times and call the other 3 or 4

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When UTG or UTG+1 open, unless they’re opening to often then I’d raise. Also I may under rep this hand to put it in my calling range but that would imply that I’d be playing against players who are aware of my ranges.

E

Edkowalski83

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK preflop

In my opinion AK preflop depends on the position I am at, the stage of the tournament we are at and the oponent style of play also if it suited it makes my odds better to re-raise.
Then on the other hand over playing it could cost u dearly.:eek:

luckyou

luckyou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to squezz a little bit with AK preflop but if UTG open consider calling on some tight players

K

kosorez1980

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have a small stack, call on everything

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
AK is a drawing hand, it can be beaten by a hand as low as 22.
In a multiple player pot AK loses value much the same way big pairs do.
Raise limpers with AK, fold it when there is any aggressive action, especially if the aggressive player(s) are usually passive .
If there is action you are only beating weaker hands, but usually players intent on building a large pot don't have weak hands.

Last edited:
Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not always calling AK preflop...Ak it is a "medium" hand....Is not a strong hand.....you can get bet by 14 pairs .....which is actually a lot........

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a drawing hand, it can be beaten by a hand as low as 22
This is a bad argument.

22 is a slight favorite preflop and in all-in pre situations, 22 does win slightly more often in the long run. But its still a virtual coin flip with no huge advantage for either hand.

Its different if a flop is seen with more betting behind as it turns 22 into a drawing hand more than AK is one. That's because there are more flops AK can comfortably cbet on, even if it misses, than there are 22 can cbet on. 22 needs to hit a set or better, or maybe a really strong draw for it to continue post flop. Otherwise AK takes the pot most of the time.

D

Dimmarik411

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
More often it happens that 22 beats AK. but it all depends on the situation and the players sitting at the table.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More often it happens that 22 beats AK. but it all depends on the situation and the players sitting at the table.
Is a virtual coinflip. That's like saying heads comes up more often than trails.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not always calling AK preflop...Ak it is a "medium" hand....Is not a strong hand.....you can get bet by 14 pairs .....which is actually a lot........
Look at AK vs ranges and not just pairs. There are more hands that are getting pre, not just pairs.

Vs a range of all pairs, all broadway, A10+, A2s-A5s, and 89s+, AK/s is a ~60% preflop.

zlajazlaja2

zlajazlaja2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there's not much to think about, it always has to be raised, and dont give opportunity other players with worse cards to enter hand :)

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,
When do you call AK on open-raise ?
AK does not allow me to always call on the preflop at the beginning. What kind of people play is not known! Even AA is not always a simple solution, because there have been 7 2 beat my aces:reddy:

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't call preflop AK everytime, but in most of cases I do, specially if my stack is comfortable. I know it's not guaranteed, but the chance of winning is okay.
PS. I am a recreational player only.

Cheers.

Meagain00

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The majority of the time AK is a 3bet for me. I have been doing some studying that indicates is should be checked occasionally to protect your checking range. If there is an open raise from EP and I'm in LP I will flat AK depending on where the second hand of my watch is. If it is in the last fifteen seconds of the minute I will call. I do this because of some of the things I have read.

I always like to admit that I am still learning so........

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
only if there are still many players to say..

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
50-50 depends of the situation..........Let s don t forget 22 is better then AK....so is a medium hand........not a strong hand.

vskots150

vskots150

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When an action takes place on the table, depending on the cards that went into distribution. Sometimes they don’t even call, you have to fold

The Monkey

The Monkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will always raise AK pre But not always go all in with this hand pre.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure I understand the question...are you asking if you call WITH AK preflop because, obviously, you cannot know if your opponent has AK? I would agree with many others that said that it would depend on the circumstances; position, stack size, cash vs. tournament, and if tourney, how close to the money.

Nanoldb

Nanoldb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a hand strong enough to re-raise regardless of the position at the table, I think that hand should always be played aggressively since it is strong enough to deal with anything

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AK, I always call all-in on the preflop if there are no more than two players in the game, if more than two are likely to be dropped. With each player who enters, the chances of winning decrease.

But with each player who enters the profit you make increases too...
Which means you need less odds to make it a profitable play...

Your odds don't really matter. What matters is if the play is profitable.
And when you can win 10 times your bet then a hand with 18% odds is
a winner, even though you will loose most of the time...

Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
50-50 depends of the situation..........Let s don t forget 22 is better then AK....so is a medium hand........not a strong hand.

Completely agree. If I'm shortstack it's allin preflop.