nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-raising AK

Hello everyone,
When do you call AK on open-raise ?

If you're in position, definitely 3-bet pre-flop because even if you miss the flop, you can possibly get to showdown for free. Also, you wanna take control of the hand, make the other player play at your pace.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
From my point of view my movement will always be determined by a series of factors beyond having "AK" in hand .. therefore my position and the reading I have of the opponents (passive, aggressive, etc. ..)

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are always exceptions but in general Ak is a hand that must be played aggressively preflop. to avoid making calls by too many opponents and less good mans. on the other hand posflop, if you do not touch anything and that your adversary continues to bet. it doesn't hurt to throw that hand away. when you have a good stack. it's a very good hand to call your opponent's all-in preflop.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With AK, I always call all-in on the preflop if there are no more than two players in the game, if more than two are likely to be dropped. With each player who enters, the chances of winning decrease.

fenoz

fenoz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could afford it before, but after losing many times to their weakest hands I stopped doing it)))

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably take a little different line than most and base it on two things. How much does my opponent call 3 bets after they have raised and secondly is my AK suited or offsuit. If it is an aggressive player that will call my 3 bet a lot of 4 bet me I will call with AK and not worry about trying to take it right there. If I have suited AK I am also more likely to just call as it flops well. That does not mean that I never raise with AK suited but just saying I lean more towards calling.

Also, factor in that your opponent may have the mindset that you would never call with AK and would always raise with it. By just calling you can hide your hand value and create value on future streets.

Also brought up earlier that ICM and bubble implications have to be factored in which is also very true.

T

Tolyanchemp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any hand is played differently based on your position and rates before your word

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK Preflop

Hello everyone,
In a freeroll on ACR , 3BB left on the button, 1 raiser and 3 callers before me I am all in, board J J 10 Q 9, opps have A3 KJ 77 55 I win with Str8 Gotta love it.:):)

A

AAJovheart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, mostly 40%/30% when in position AK offsuit is a call for me. suited AK against one player is mostly a 3bet and can consider flatting against 2/3 for the implied odds.

P

possle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flatting with AK is a mistake i think. Doesn't matter which position. Always a 3 bet in my opinion.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
When the bet of the game is high, and you play against the leaders of the table, then of course I call. There are so many cases where AKs lose even to a small pair, so I think it's better to look at the flop:)

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone,
I rarely play a call.
It is difficult to make the decision to fold AK, but sometimes it is the most rational. I was watching on the TV hand, when after a long thought, Daniel Negreanu folded AK before the flop. The opponent had pocket kings.
For example,if you type on a poker odd calculator AKo vs 96o (which are not strong pocket cards), you will see that the odds are 65% vs 35%. From three hands in a one-to-one game you will win two and your opponent one. AK is one of the strongest, but in our eyes, still an overpriced combination of pocket cards.
I play a lot of different situations differently, but if the situation is not specific I play 3bet. Every time I bet,I usually play 3bet no matter what pocket cards I have. This makes it harder for opponents to read the power of my pocket cards, and this is a very good basis for a bluff.
Let's take an example where I would play a call. Call is a good choice if we are in a safe zone in the buble period, when the bigger prize is difficult to catch, is it too far for us? Of course, unless it's too high. If we are a short stack in the bubble period, then AK is a godsend that we must try to use. My option in this case is all in.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the exception of an ICM or satellite situation, I am never folding AK and am happy to get it all in preflop. No hesitation.

Why? Because you really have nothing to worry about preflop with AK.

AA or KK? Psssh, iirc, at a full table, the odds of you running into either AA/KK is ~200:1 or ~1/2%. I'm not sure the odds of running into both. So, you have nothing to worry about there.

You dominate all other A/x and K/xhands, you flip with smaller pairs, and you're a ~60% favorite against all other hands. In fact, vs a 100% call range, AK/s is a 65/35 favorite.

Don't be afraid to get AK in pre.

Last edited:
Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are many factors that influence the decision, which position. What is my stack and average, who are the opponents, what kind of action was, in a vacuum the hand is not bad, but you need to play post-flop with it well

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A/K suited - looks quite marginal in THIS spot

AK is a mandatory 3bet for me in almost all cases... I might consider flatting if the opener is very tight, but even then, a 3 bet can take it down right there which makes it a worthwhile decision
mandatory 3bet with AK
3-bet close to 100%, and more afraid to see a 4-bet than a jam
If you're in position, definitely 3-bet pre-flop because even if you miss the flop, you can possibly get to showdown for free. Also, you wanna take control of the hand, make the other player play at your pace.
With AK, I always call all-in on the preflop if there are no more than two players in the game, if more than two are likely to be dropped. With each player who enters, the chances of winning decrease.
Flatting with AK is a mistake i think. Doesn't matter which position. Always a 3 bet in my opinion.
AK i call all in everytime
With the exception of an ICM or satellite situation, I am never folding AK and am happy to get it all in preflop. No hesitation.

Why? Because you really have nothing to worry about preflop with AK.

AA or KK? Psssh, iirc, at a full table, the odds of you running into either AA/KK is ~200:1 or ~1/2%. I'm not sure the odds of running into both. So, you have nothing to worry about there.

You dominate all other A/x and K/xhands, you flip with smaller pairs, and you're a ~60% favorite against all other hands. In fact, vs a 100% call range, AK/s is a 65/35 favorite.

Don't be afraid to get AK in pre.
Most comments saying mandatory 3-bet are thinking of the standard scenario where there is an open before us, and possibly one caller.

Try this scenario out.

25k gtd 6.60 buyin.
25k starting stack.
Within the very first orbit, maybe the 5th total hand.

Sitting in SB dealt A/K suited hearts.
blind level - 50/100 10ante

UTG opens to 300
UTG+2 3bets to 900
MP1 calls
HJ min-raise 4bets to 1800
CO calls 1800
Btn 5bets to 4500
Call?? 4500
UTG calls
UTG+2 shoves
MP1 calls shove
HJ calls shove
CO calls shove
Btn calls shove
Call?? shove

board runs out Kd/3d/8d/4s/3h

Just kidding - I folded - I'm not gambling preflop on a hope and a prayer that hearts come in to beat AA, KK, JJ and 88.
I had extra bullets to fire - but I knew I was beat - thought about folding to the 4500, but odds were too good.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play it (or attempt to play it) the same way I would play any other hand within the range for my position chipstack, how deep we are in the game and image I believe I am representing.

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3bet always and played aggressive post flop against appropriate opponents. play big and win big

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Against weak players or players with short stacks, an instant all-in is the best solution.

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always raise with AK in 9 player in early stage bet/raise never call, at the late stage maybe all in, in 6 player whatever is the stage of the tour 3 bet or all in. After flop maybe will be too late for your action. Remember you are playing with the second best starting hand.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most comments saying mandatory 3-bet are thinking of the standard scenario where there is an open before us, and possibly one caller.

Try this scenario out.

25k gtd 6.60 buyin.
25k starting stack.
Within the very first orbit, maybe the 5th total hand.

Sitting in SB dealt A/K suited hearts.
blind level - 50/100 10ante

UTG opens to 300
UTG+2 3bets to 900
MP1 calls
HJ min-raise 4bets to 1800
CO calls 1800
Btn 5bets to 4500
Call?? 4500
UTG calls
UTG+2 shoves
MP1 calls shove
HJ calls shove
CO calls shove
Btn calls shove
Call?? shove

board runs out Kd/3d/8d/4s/3h

Just kidding - I folded - I'm not gambling preflop on a hope and a prayer that hearts come in to beat AA, KK, JJ and 88.
I had extra bullets to fire - but I knew I was beat - thought about folding to the 4500, but odds were too good.
TBH, I don't think folding AK there is bad given preflop action. As much as I like AK, its also good to be sensible as well.

But if being completely honest, I'd probably get it in pre just to gamble. Its definitely risky but picking up a 150K pot would be worth it, imo, given the prizepool. If I have extra buy-ins because I'm playing within my BR means, it just makes it easier to gamble and call. Worst case, you bust and rebuy. Best case, you're sitting pretty.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
TBH, I don't think folding AK there is bad given preflop action. As much as I like AK, its also good to be sensible as well.

But if being completely honest, I'd probably get it in pre just to gamble. Its definitely risky but picking up a 150K pot would be worth it, imo, given the prizepool. If I have extra buy-ins because I'm playing within my BR means, it just makes it easier to gamble and call. Worst case, you bust and rebuy. Best case, you're sitting pretty.

You echoed my exact thinking, but I just knew 3 or 4 --- or maybe even 5 of those guys had at least one ace :) - so I was flipping at the very best - and most definitely behind at least 2 of their hands, so I reluctantly folded - grumbling all the while - ACR just wants to bust me out!
Just so obvious #rigged - so many strong hands dealt at the same time. (joking of course)

Against 2 - I'd go with it and be leading the way - but against more than that - it's not out of the question that I could have been flipping with 3 other players who all had strong aces A/J, A/Q A/K, but the final results kind of reinforced that I made a good fold - although I hated it! A/K really isn't my hand anyway - KK - I'd be in the pot faster than the guy before me could say all-in.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Make that call if I am Itm, have sufficient stack, & cards

I'm making the call if I have nothing to lose, am ITM, or have substantial stack. Make it if I have a pocket pair, or suited connectors I am fond of.