Difference between deep and short stacked tournaments?

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you have any advice as to the key differences between deep and short stacked tournaments?

I've normally played online turbo-style tournaments with 3000 to 5000 starting chips, but just won a ticket to the $109 Big Shot Main Event with 15,000 starting chips and 12 minute intervals.

I'm guessing a lot more patience is required. Looking at last week's event tournament there were over 1100 players and it took over 9 hours, I've got no idea how long it'd take to get to the cashing out period. Never played online in a tournament for more than ~2-3 hours so any advice on how to play differently?

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deep stack tournaments involve playing hands postflop, positioning players becomes more important due to deep stacks, you can track your opponents' strategy on multiple streets and get a better picture of them. Raising pre-flop is only worth raising when you are confident that you have the best hand at the table. Balance your play by raising some hands from position, this will help disguise your cards and mislead opponents when you have monster. In such tournaments, you must be able to play postflop.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short stack tournaments you get into Nash Equilibrium/ICM push fold far faster - you need to have mastery over 20 BB, 12 BB, and 6 BB stacks since those are the stacks you will be playing the vast majority of the tournament. You need to learn what hands and when to shove over a raise; when to open shove; and when to minraise and fold. Calling shoves too wide is a disaster and a common mistake.

Deep stack poker for most of the tournament you will be playing a stack deeper that 50BB. The play of these hands have greater strategic depth and you have to have a far greater understanding of flop texture, cbetting, check raising, and multistreet bluffing. Players can afford to be more patient in this tournaments.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, you need to master play with deeper stacks, where there is more room for turn and river play, and where stack-off ranges need to be stronger. For instance you cant always auto stack-off an overpair, when you are 100BB deep, and expect this to be profitable.

And then you need to be prepared for a long grind. It will likely take 4½ to 5 hours, before this tournament even bring players in the money. And after that you will have the fight of getting to the final table, and if you make it that far, the final table itself. So you need to be well rested before the tournament and perhaps prepare some drinks and stacks to consume in the breaks.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
try not to follow your hands, if you understand what I mean, that is, you saw the turbo, you have a straight or colored draw and you have an all in front of you, you may pay; don't do this here if you draw and you have an all in front of you don't call because it doesn't come so easy :), I hope you find what I wrote here useful:)