Difference Between C-Bet and Value bet

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to know the difference. Also whats a good ratio for both.
I think I am c-betting maybe too much 80 percent. Mostly if it is a tight table. :elefant:

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A cbet is made when someone raises preflop and the bets again on the flop as a continuation bet. A good cbet ratio is 60-70% You really dont want to cbet any higher than this as you wil have way to many bluffs in your hand.

A value bet is exactly what is says. Its a bet when you are trying to extract value from your hand. Say I raise and you all with 22 and flop a 2. On the river I check and you would make a value bet wanting to be called and gain value for your hand. There is no percentage to give you as if you don't have a hand that I can call with that you beat there is no value in betting.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I am c-betting maybe too much 80 percent. Mostly if it is a tight table. :elefant:

It was explained decently well above. for definition sake. You are def. C-betting WAY too much at 80% You should stay around 50-60% long term. The thing is though you're not trying to nail this number on the head. It should happen because you are playing correctly. You decide to C-bet based upon whether or not you think the bet will get through. If you're C-betting then you don't have a hand you want a fold.

I am differentiating these two because if you have a value hand that you are Continuation betting then that would be continuation betting for value - C-bet most often is betting to win the hand before showdown.

You want to Value bet 100% of the time you can. The trick for value betting is not the "betting" because obviously when we have the best hand betting is the easy part, the hard part is getting MAX value knowing exactly how much the opponent will pay off. Going one step further would be getting "thin" value.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C-Betting is the continuation Bet when we have bet preflop and Continue the bet on the flop and it should be 50-70% of the oppened pots meanwhile Value Betting is the ammount of chips we should bet in order to get a call and extract the max chips from our oppenents depending on what was committed on the pot and your villain range and calling tendancies EV and the value you can extract from certain villains you could stack them on Flushes ,Sets , Fullhouses and starights if you are sure 100% that you hold the nuts and you cant Pot control and check or call them with some bluff catchers I am not fan of hero calls but when you have a good read you can go with it.

Last edited:
dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok I see one thing I might be doing wrong, I always c-bet if I raise pre-flop, because I thought that since they miss the flop 75 % of time, and I checked, they could bluff. So what is the correct thing to do, if I miss, and I want to see if they hit? Does that make sense? I get most of my learning from trial and error, or audio. Thanks for helping me, clearly your guys know what youre talking about! Thanks Christy

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny story, funny thing.

For the past 2 days I’ve been loosing tournaments like crazy. Loss somewhere in between $100-$150 bucks playing in about 10 tournaments. I was racking my brains because I knew something was missing. There’s something I was doing that I had stopped doing but I didn’t know what it was. I would last a while but couldn’t get pass 10,000 chips. Then the blinds would go up and next thing you know I’d get eliminated. I had $4 dollars and enrolled in a $1 tournament. I was ready to hang poker all up together until I realized during that tournament it was value betting. I wasn’t value betting. Whenever I did get a good hand I would just go all in. I wasn’t getting any value so my stack wouldn’t increase. I got knocked out of that tournament to but before I did I had reached 20,413 chips! 😀 I know what to do now. See ya on the felt!

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the past 2 days I’ve been loosing tournaments like crazy. Loss somewhere in between $100-$150 bucks playing in about 10 tournaments. I was racking my brains because I knew something was missing. There’s something I was doing that I had stopped doing but I didn’t know what it was. I would last a while but couldn’t get pass 10,000 chips. Then the blinds would go up and next thing you know I’d get eliminated. I had $4 dollars and enrolled in a $1 tournament. I was ready to hang poker all up together until I realized during that tournament it was value betting. I wasn’t value betting. Whenever I did get a good hand I would just go all in. I wasn’t getting any value so my stack wouldn’t increase. I got knocked out of that tournament to but before I did I had reached 20,413 chips! 😀 I know what to do now. See ya on the felt!

I hear ya. For me, Im mostly tight agressive, and I do pretty good. The I forget the formula, and play loose agressive. The latter always gets me killed. Its not me. when you find the formula that fits you (me) I need to quit getting fancy(****y)..lol Gl on the felts!:bike:

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I am c-betting maybe too much 80 percent. Mostly if it is a tight table.

A continuation bet (C-bet) is a bet made on the flop by the Original Raiser (OR). Usually your opponent(s) miss the flop and feel like they have to fold to the betting. Often the table will check to the OR because the OR's preflop raise is saying that they have a very strong hand. The C-bet is not necessarily a bluff. If the OR is raising with a strong hand it is often still good on the flop.

So, I like c-betting on a tight table. If I was at that table and noticed that you were c-betting ~80% of the time then I would be eager to get into a hand with you from the blinds and check raise on the flop to try to take the pot.

A good sized c-bet (for me) depends on number of players in the hand, texture of the flop, and the results of my previous c-bets (did my opponents raise every c-bet I made?). So size can be 1/3 or 1/2 or even full pot sized bet.

Value betting is on the river when you know you have the best hand and are betting to get more chips in the pot. Or another way of saying it is to get more "value" from your hand vs. your opponent's hand.

So a value bet should be properly sized to get the maximum from your opponent - even though they have an inferior hand. Sometimes you will hear someone say, "That was the perfect size for me to call...ugh!"

It is very important to realize value from your superior hand. So, sometimes the bet size can be so small that your opponent feels like he has to call because the pot-odds are just too great for him to fold. And hey, maybe he has a pair or two and you have trips. A value bet on the river might be as small as 1/4 of the pot or less. But if I have trips and I think he has 2 pair - then i'm betting larger - maybe 2/3 of the pot or more if I think he will call.

And, of course if you have the stone-cold nuts and are last to act you must.....MUST...bet and that would be a value bet.

Good luck !

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A continuation bet (C-bet) is a bet made on the flop by the Original Raiser (OR). Usually your opponent(s) miss the flop and feel like they have to fold to the betting. Often the table will check to the OR because the OR's preflop raise is saying that they have a very strong hand. The C-bet is not necessarily a bluff. If the OR is raising with a strong hand it is often still good on the flop.

So, I like c-betting on a tight table. If I was at that table and noticed that you were c-betting ~80% of the time then I would be eager to get into a hand with you from the blinds and check raise on the flop to try to take the pot.

A good sized c-bet (for me) depends on number of players in the hand, texture of the flop, and the results of my previous c-bets (did my opponents raise every c-bet I made?). So size can be 1/3 or 1/2 or even full pot sized bet.

Value betting is on the river when you know you have the best hand and are betting to get more chips in the pot. Or another way of saying it is to get more "value" from your hand vs. your opponent's hand.

So a value bet should be properly sized to get the maximum from your opponent - even though they have an inferior hand. Sometimes you will hear someone say, "That was the perfect size for me to call...ugh!"

It is very important to realize value from your superior hand. So, sometimes the bet size can be so small that your opponent feels like he has to call because the pot-odds are just too great for him to fold. And hey, maybe he has a pair or two and you have trips. A value bet on the river might be as small as 1/4 of the pot or less. But if I have trips and I think he has 2 pair - then i'm betting larger - maybe 2/3 of the pot or more if I think he will call.

And, of course if you have the stone-cold nuts and are last to act you must.....MUST...bet and that would be a value bet.

Good luck !
First thank you so mych, for the time you put into a reply. The information is always appreciated! I heard Gus hansen talk once about c-betting and that its more profitable in the long run. and some other stuff I just didnt get. Ok, so I looked at my last 6k hands, and Im c-betting 59-61 percent with any stack. Im 3-betting 9 percent of the time(so im pretty scared here or I dont 3-bet unless my hand is very strong. I did hear someone say once, that i "potted" everyhand. But to be honest the guy folded everytime, so why not. Thank you so much for a great reply! And good luck on the felts.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A cbet is made when someone raises preflop and the bets again on the flop as a continuation bet. A good cbet ratio is 60-70% You really dont want to cbet any higher than this as you wil have way to many bluffs in your hand.

A value bet is exactly what is says. Its a bet when you are trying to extract value from your hand. Say I raise and you all with 22 and flop a 2. On the river I check and you would make a value bet wanting to be called and gain value for your hand. There is no percentage to give you as if you don't have a hand that I can call with that you beat there is no value in betting.

Thanks Ken, My HUD says I c-bet 61% (Im really trying to understand a HUD more. I use it to help me correctly see players tightness, looseness and PFR. Thanks for your explantion

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First thank you so mych, for the time you put into a reply. The information is always appreciated! I heard Gus hansen talk once about c-betting and that its more profitable in the long run. and some other stuff I just didnt get. Ok, so I looked at my last 6k hands, and Im c-betting 59-61 percent with any stack. Im 3-betting 9 percent of the time(so im pretty scared here or I dont 3-bet unless my hand is very strong. I did hear someone say once, that i "potted" everyhand. But to be honest the guy folded everytime, so why not. Thank you so much for a great reply! And good luck on the felts.

You're welcome.

And, of course Gus Hansen is correct about C-betting. It is very very important in poker. C-betting also gives you a lot of information about what your opponents think of the flop...unless they are just calling your c-bet with nothing so they can try to steal the pot later.

3-betting is something entirely different. You should challenge yourself to 3-bet for an entire session (even with weak hands). Never just call and see what results you come up with. Of course consider folding to 4-bet shoves - getting lucky is not a great strategy....your 3-bet screams strength and then C-bet on the flop and you will take down more and larger pots. But if you do this 6 hands in a row then the table will pick-up on this and try to exploit you.

Good luck again !

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously you can continue bet as a standard bet if you are the preflop raiser. If you have outs on the flop this becomes a semi-bluff but need to careful your continuation bet does not get you reraised out the hand in that scenario.

Robin Moura

Robin Moura

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think this is related to variance your answer to this question

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think that variance anserwed my question at all. I appreciate so much the time these guys put into clearly explaining to me what the c-bet was, and how to use it. As well as a value bet. You guys rock!

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C-bet is, when you are the pre-flop aggressor. Can be bet on the flop, can be check on the flop and bet on the turn. Can be bluff, can be value bet, can be semi-bluff.
Value bet is, when you have 50%+ equity and more versus his range (for call, calling range)). Actually more, than 50%, because of the rake. Sometime you bet for "value and protection". Maybe you have less, than 50%, but you take value from draw (or weak "draw" , over cards, bottom pair)
You don't have enough fold equity these days. If you have a top pair, they will fold more, and less, if you have let's say 22. If you have an info, this is a different story. You can bet with bluff heavy range or with value heavy range. On some boards you will have more fold equity. Axx, Kxx, Qxx (dry). 100% C-bet is good...Some boards , like K33, T44, are good for double C-bet. When you have a narrow range (UTG), you can bet more (as bluff), because you almost always will have some outs or showdown value.

Last edited:
CarlosLemarDixon

CarlosLemarDixon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
50% is good

It was explained decently well above. for definition sake. You are def. C-betting WAY too much at 80% You should stay around 50-60% long term. The thing is though you're not trying to nail this number on the head. It should happen because you are playing correctly. You decide to C-bet based upon whether or not you think the bet will get through. If you're C-betting then you don't have a hand you want a fold.

I am differentiating these two because if you have a value hand that you are Continuation betting then that would be continuation betting for value - C-bet most often is betting to win the hand before showdown.

You want to Value bet 100% of the time you can. The trick for value betting is not the "betting" because obviously when we have the best hand betting is the easy part, the hard part is getting MAX value knowing exactly how much the opponent will pay off. Going one step further would be getting "thin" value.

Anything more and a good player will catch on and start 3betting you pre flop

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good luck !

Thanks , this topic answered my queries about c-bet and value bet. It’s amazing how the same logical can be used for so many ways to approach this.