Certain demographics play similarly

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello all, this is related exclusively to tournament play - because that is all I play.
To be more specific I play on ACR at the micro & low stakes.
And - currently poker tracker is boinked up - so I've not been using a hud to track anything. Not a problem though - I've been playing hudless for several years.

Has anyone noticed certain demographics - locations where people are from - play similarly, use certain tactics often?

I'm not going to mention any specific demographics - however I have noticed - roughly over the past 3-4 months a certain demo will nearly ALWAYS 85%+ bet on the turn if the flop is checked - and they are first to act out of position.
A high percentage of this demographic will nearly always do a tiny 1/4 pot bet, while a small group of this demo will bet 3/4 pot or more.

I started noticing this a while back - it was so consistent - and it got me thinking - first - if the turn was such a good card for these players - why were they betting so small. Often they double barrel on the river - and I'm putting 2+2 together in spots - and thinking - you are continuing with THAT hand (the hand being represented) in THAT spot with early position opens?
Most of the time - the logic didn't pass the sniff test.

And then it got me thinking about the other players who are betting large - and we get to showdown, and they have a 2nd or 3rd pair with a weak kicker, or busted draw, or maybe even top pair weak kicker.

Of course it's pretty easy to call down the small bets with tptk or better, but calling down the large betting by the more aggressive opponents from this demographic has been quite a challenge in fortitude.

Suffice to say - the great majority of these oop donk leads are bluffs, at best semi-bluffs or marginal to weak hands, attempting to take down the pot by bluff donk betting on the turn when oop.

Not a bad strategy - if - at least half of the time - you as the donk leader on the turn aren't buffing. Unfortunately - or rather fortunately for me/us no less than 70% of the time this is total air - or any pair (not top pair) with just as bad kicker.
Re-raising the tiny betters has resulted in me taking down the pot on the turn a high percentage of the time. Also giving me a free showdown if the donk lead calls the raise.
I've also incorporated bluff re-raising these tiny leads - to great results.

For the more aggressive players - buckle up! It's always good to have a hand vs these players. TPTK or better, but the vast majority of the time I'm winning on showdown with the better hand. Their have been times I've been surprised by the lucky set - or the binked odd ball straight, but I'd say I'm winning over 65% of these hands versus the more aggressive players.

I'm not sure if this certain demographic is being taught this strategy - or what is going on. I certainly have recognized a high probability trend - this is something that this specific demographic does a VERY high percentage more than the general field of players do.

Has anyone else identified certain 'strategies' that specific demographics use a great deal more than others do?

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mrturtle here

Hello all, this is related exclusively to tournament play - because that is all I play.
And - currently poker tracker is boinked up - so I've not been using a hud to track anything. Not a problem though - I've been playing hudless for several years.

Has anyone noticed certain demographics - locations where people are from - play similarly, use certain tactics often?

I'm not going to mention any specific demographics - however I have noticed - roughly over the past 3-4 months a certain demo will nearly ALWAYS 85%+ bet on the turn if the flop is checked - and they are first to act out of position.
A high percentage of this demographic will nearly always do a tiny 1/4 pot bet, while a small group of this demo will bet 3/4 pot or more.

I started noticing this a while back - it was so consistent - and it got me thinking - first - if the turn was such a good card for these players - why were they betting so small. Often they double barrel on the river - and I'm putting 2+2 together in spots - and thinking - you are continuing with THAT hand (the hand being represented) in THAT spot with early position opens?

And then it got me thinking about the other players who are betting large - and we get to showdown, and they have a 2nd or 3rd pair with a weak kicker, or busted draw, or maybe even top pair weak kicker.

Of course it's pretty easy to call down the small bets with tptk or better, but calling down the large betting by the more aggressive opponents from this demographic has been quite a challenge in fortitude.

Suffice to say - the great majority of these oop donk leads are bluffs, at best semi-bluffs or marginal to weak hands, attempting to take down the pot by bluff donk betting on the turn when oop.

Not a bad strategy - if - at least half of the time - you as the donk leader on the turn aren't buffing. Unfortunately - or rather fortunately for me/us no less than 70% of the time this is total air - or any pair (not top pair) with just as bad kicker.
Re-raising the tiny betters has resulted in me taking down the pot on the turn a high percentage of the time. Also giving me a free showdown if the donk lead calls the raise.

For the more aggressive players - buckle up! It's always good to have a hand vs these players. TPTK or better, but the vast majority of the time I'm winning on showdown with the better hand. Their have been times I've been surprised by the lucky set - or the binked odd ball straight, but I'd say I'm winning over 65% of these hands versus the more aggressive players.

I'm not sure if this certain demographic is being taught this strategy - or what is going on. I certainly have recognized a high probability trend - this is something that this specific demographic does a VERY high percentage more than the general field of players do.

Has anyone else identified certain 'strategies' that specific demographics use a great deal more than others do?

I think i know what demo your talking about and i agree easy to exploit but they often get lucky on me hahaha! Usually they try to call me down and shove the river but same hands and i think same demos. I have one question An.....what type of stats do i have Decent or donk. Hope you get back to me on that one and ill bee seeing you around buddy.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think i know what demo your talking about and i agree easy to exploit but they often get lucky on me hahaha! Usually they try to call me down and shove the river but same hands and i think same demos. I have one question An.....what type of stats do i have Decent or donk. Hope you get back to me on that one and ill bee seeing you around buddy.

Hey eagle - thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what your question is. Are you asking what stats I have on your specifically? Or are you asking a more general question - how often do I or possibly - the general player pool will donk bet on the turn?

Personally for me - I rarely donk bet -even with a hand I believe is the best hand. If I hit the nuts - or the hand I perceive as the best hand on the turn I'm nearly always checking - looking to check-raise or - possibly call, and either lead or check-raise the river.
This depends on the 'type' of opponent I'm up against. If I'm in the hand with a very aggressive player - who is always betting - I'm looking to check raise this one.
If I'm up against a passive type - a pot controlling type - who likes to slow play, check back, keep the pot small - I will consider donking, or leading river after calling the turn.

I like to save the surprise to the river - therefore - getting more value from the hand. The only time I will donk the turn is if I have a vulnerable made hand - that needs protection from certain types of players who are never EVER folding a draw.

That might not be the authorized GTO strategy - but it's the one I use. :)

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips

Hey ANIMATOR,
I did, for a while now, noticed a pattern in the game of certain players from the same location. Not sure if we are talking about the same ones though, considering that in addition to what you said, "mine" tend to also 3-bet and squeeze often and with air.
You didn't want to be too specific, so I'll just keep it that way.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wanted to know how other players see me

Hey eagle - thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what your question is. Are you asking what stats I have on your specifically? Or are you asking a more general question - how often do I or possibly - the general player pool will donk bet on the turn?

Personally for me - I rarely donk bet -even with a hand I believe is the best hand. If I hit the nuts - or the hand I perceive as the best hand on the turn I'm nearly always checking - looking to check-raise or - possibly call, and either lead or check-raise the river.
This depends on the 'type' of opponent I'm up against. If I'm in the hand with a very aggressive player - who is always betting - I'm looking to check raise this one.
If I'm up against a passive type - a pot controlling type - who likes to slow play, check back, keep the pot small - I will consider donking, or leading river after calling the turn.

I like to save the surprise to the river - therefore - getting more value from the hand. The only time I will donk the turn is if I have a vulnerable made hand - that needs protection from certain types of players who are never EVER folding a draw.

That might not be the authorized GTO strategy - but it's the one I use. :)

I was asking about my stats but i like your answer better see ya on the felt brother

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey ANIMATOR,
I did, for a while now, noticed a pattern in the game of certain players from the same location. Not sure if we are talking about the same ones though, considering that in addition to what you said, "mine" tend to also 3-bet and squeeze often and with air.
You didn't want to be too specific, so I'll just keep it that way.

Yes - I purposefully chose not to be specific - to not offend any players, if the topic turned more derogatory. :)

I also experience quite a bit of 3betting - as I'm sure we all do - however - I have not found a pattern with relation to a certain demographic 3betting more than others.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
After my suspicions, I started checking the player's location every time someone squeezes or 3-bets, and sure enough, about 80% of the time, they would be from that specific demographic.
PS : I only play low stakes MTTs and SNGs.