Calling off a shove with qq mid-late stage mtt

J

Jreece18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I may know the answer to this, but still struggle to implement it. Getting 3 bet shoved 3/4 of the way into an MTT against someone with a stack of 20bb's. Should I be calling this off with QQ or are too many people 3 betting this with only AA, KK, AK? I personally prefer to take QQ and lower post flop if I have a relatively decent stack size, but when I get 3 betted I struggle to give the hand up.

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends of your stack and the opponents stack. I would propably fold QQ, except if I have much more chips.
Was it near to be ITM?
It's hard to say without knowing the structure, blind level and stacks.

J

Jreece18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
240/1300ish, 100 off the bubble. I had around 45bb, he had around 20 - he was playing 20/18.
Part of me thinks when I get into situations like that, folding is correct, but just need some reassurance as I usually call them off because it's a strong hand...

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi
easy call.he could have ak or a smaller pair.with 20bb his range is big
sometimes youll see aa or kk but my opinion is to call there

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I think entering is profitable in the long run.

I know its hard situation but the hand is too good to muck it.

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the player has been playing tight, i would think about folding. Most of the time I would normally call. If i bought in for a good amount, i would consider the bubble prize money to play a factor on my decision. 20bb is alot and hard to gain back if the table is playing good. If you are playing to try and make a deep run, folding might be a good option and also, youre saving yourself the trouble on flipping a hand you aren't even sure of. So then if that is the case, you should fold, find a better hand to play that you are comfortable and try stacking up from there. Ive folded QQ AA KK before because I already had got myself in a good position to cash a mtt, but there are times I felt like calling with hands like this, but if the payout is good, think twice to make sure if its worth the flip.

Also , folding helps with tilting if you do lose a hand with QQ against opponents who shove smaller pairs like 22 and catches their set. If you can handle the fold or call mentally, you can prevent yourself from playing even worse after you lose a flip. don't get into positions that leave your stack vulnerable where you have to shove to flip again, because then when the money bubble is near and your close to the bubble, your either going to get hands like AJ AQ A10 and its going to look good to flip all in to either double up, steal, or play against bigger stacks, and that usually smells like trouble. always better to stay slightly ahead then behind.

Last edited:
L

leorulex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just call, the more likely it is to be winning or flipping

C

cursed989

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without any more information, and having him at 20BB to your 45BB, I'd say call. With the info provided I put his range at 10s, Js, Qs, Ks, As, AK... maybe even AQs. I think we have good equity here, and you'd still have an almost reasonable stack if things went south.

And @Skip - I don't understand the logic behind folding KK/AA just because you're close to cashing... If you're in an MTT, the goal is never to cash. I understand what you mentioned about a larger buy-in, but at the core - playing outside the roll is a bad idea and playing for a cash within it is a bad idea, so there' not a single situation out there that I'm making that play, even if it was directly on the bubble.

J

Jreece18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tips guys. I wasn't just going for a cash (money was too small to really make a difference to my BR) and I guess in a flip QQ is strong enough to call if it's not risking my whole stack. Just needed some reassurance about playing big pocket pairs because this call basically ruined my tournament.

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of factors go into this. Now a days you can't assume people are only 3 betting with big hands though. QQ is a top 3 hand, the liklihood I am folding it is slim, but not impossible.