Busted Out in Global Poker $5,000 Sunday Bonanza

Krexnik

Krexnik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that this is one of the greatest tournaments available at a micro-stakes level online. The buy-in is only $0.10 + $0.01, there are usually only about 1000 players and prize pool is $5,000. The issue I am having with it is adjusting to the structure because blinds raise every 5 minutes and it only takes about 20 minutes to get to the point where you have a short-stack if you are unable to quickly gain chips. I am used to playing tournaments with regular structure (10 minute blinds), so this has been a real challenge.

So, I just busted out of the tournament and would like some insight on ranges people play in turbo tournaments once they are around 12-18 BB. I was at about 14 BB in MP and shoved A4 suited on a table where I had no information on any of the players because I'd just been transferred to a new table. Is this standard or too aggressive in your view? I can post a recording of the hand and give the link if anyone needs more information.

Do any of you use GTO ranges common in cash games for turbo tourneys?:confused:

Hand information:
Preflop
Hero is MP+1 (A4s) all in 14 BB
Villain is BTN (JJ) re-raises all-in 23 BB
SB folds
BB folds
Board: Kh, 9d, 3s, 7d, 6h
Villain wins pot 5,950

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a tournament with that structure you'll need a lot of luck to go deep. With 14 BBs you made the right move to shove. If you wait any more than that the blinds will go up and you'll probably have less than 10 BBs. Just unlucky to face JJ.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would not fault you for your play here. You are short stacked and need to gain chips ASAP. The only thing that was a negative on the play was your just moving to the new table. I tend to play a bit tighter for the 1st hand or 2 as it seems to me many players will call you much liter when you push the 1st hand at the table all in. I'm not saying it logical of them but my observation. With 14 BB stack left I would have waited here. While ace high maybe the best hand if called I could be easily dominated as well.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That seemed like a good move in that situation. Ax is never a bad hand to shove in a turbo with a short stack.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats one hell of an overlay there,,,,how do they do that? :hmmmm:

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have waited a bit. Should shove higher aces especially when your BBs are that high

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm working on my ranges as things get short and A4s might be a light shove for 14bb for normal tournaments (or maybe just from MP)? With that turbo structure though, there's going to be a lot of variance - there're a lot worse hands to take a gamble on, and you'll often get called with worse than JJ (or catch an ace/flush).