Are bigger Sit N Goes harder than smaller?

• Thread starter ThinkIllcallUwitha5
  • Start date
T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've got a .50 SnGo turbo ticket, I want to turn it into $.80 cash so I can play cash games without depositing. Is it better to go for a 9 man game, 45, 90, or 180, if the payouts are roughly proportional? Do better players tend to go for the bigger games, or the smaller so they can quickly dominate?

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Faced with this I would go for the larger games where I would have more time to assess my cards and what I was up against. If you play smart and be patient you can increase your stack size by picking up on the players with speculative hands and be in decent shape if you can make it into the money.
The smaller games require a bit more luck and require some higher than average risk taking...again cat and mouse and you will need to be both especially when 2 of 6 get paid.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've got a .50 SnGo turbo ticket, I want to turn it into $.80 cash so I can play cash games without depositing. Is it better to go for a 9 man game, 45, 90, or 180, if the payouts are roughly proportional? Do better players tend to go for the bigger games, or the smaller so they can quickly dominate?

I think you should play what you are better at.

If you are not sure then I would play the 9-man game. Just because it's harder to make it through larger fields.

Better players go for slower, bigger $$ money games.

Good luck !

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Go with the game you have the most experience with.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

To achieve your goal i would go for at 90 man SNG
People at that stake are very loose, so sit tight at wait for value hands
to double up with, you only need to get to place 13 to get $.91

If you play 9 man SNG and get 3rd place you only get $.79 and have to either
get 2nd or first, or get 3rd 2 times to be able to go to cash games.

Note that you can play LIMIT HOLD EM cash games for only 20c buy in :D
And also go for some freerolls to make cash there.

Good luck with your ticket and games

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Personally I would go for the bigger games. If you finish 3rd in the 9 man that's great but what you have is not even a full buy in to the cash game table. Yes you could buy in and that is great but you will go in with a disadvantage in the cash game. If you finish 3rd in the bigger games you will have enough to but in a few times. You could also min cash in the bigger game and be in the same spot as the 9 man game. I also like the bigger games as your skill level will be the advantage. The 9 man turbo's can be a bit of a crap shoot if you don't get any cards where as the bigger game you have more time to get some hands. Good luck to you.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many thanks to everyone who posted so far! The community is so helpful. If more folks have opinions I'm glad to hear them.

I've never played turbo so far, but I have played big tournaments, and I was always able to pick up chips from careless bettors by playing disciplined TAG, so I think I'll give the 180 a shot instead of 9 man, since luck seems to be a bigger issue there.

Special thanks to Minus272c, I was not aware that limit hold-em had a lower buy-in. I never even thought about trying it, to be honest, as everyone always said NLH is the best game ever. I'll give it a shot if I don't hit $.80.

I'm on my way towards the freeroll club, but I'm a bit impatient to start playing regularly, and it'll be a couple of weeks til I qualify for that and can play freerolls daily.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In your place, I would not hurry to go to the cash. You first save up at least up to $ 10 bankroll. If you lose your 80 cents, you will not even be able to understand the game on cash tables . A tournament game is different from cash tables.