Bigger Buy-in Tournaments , How did it Affect Your Play

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, How has a bigger buyin tournament affected your play with a small bankroll., Have you found you play tighter ,waiting for those top cards. Have you found you are way to conscience of losing your chips and the money you invested, or do you actually use aggression to build a stack from others afraid of play nothing but top cards
how do you correct some of these sometimes bad habits

Last edited:
Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all, How has a bigger buyin tournament affected your play with a small bankroll., Have you found you play tighter ,waiting for those top cards. Have you found you are way to conscience of losing your chips and the money you invested, or do you actually use aggression to build a stack from others afraid of play nothing but top cards

Oh yes :D

Many times when i satelite into a huge turnement way out of my bankroll, i tried to
play my triple AAA nitty game, and it always backfired on me :p
Folding hands i should not be folding, nut pushing hands i should push, worrying more
about getting itm than playing actual poker, to much fear in my game.
And almost never cashed playing like that.

BUT - all that has changed now, i play only the table im at, like its was a 9 man sng
(or 6 man if 6 max table). Just focusing on whats goin on, getting my opponents noted
and categorized, playing by stacks, and try to be the table tyrant and play unpredictable
so the villains dont feel comfortable playing hands against me.
It works - i more often make it itm in bigger tournements, and best of all, when i crash
and burn out before itm, its on own terms :cool::cool:

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played intimated thinking the players are vastly better than me. They are not vastly.

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played intimated thinking the players are vastly better than me. They are not vastly.

Indeed. I play tighter but I see that the "good regs" they are not doing something special. They are playing ABC poker, and very organized. Also they don't bluff much. Maybe their only bluff is a CBET on the flop. What I realize at them are 2 very important things.

1. They know how to extract money from loose passive players. There value bets are very good.
2. They know how to exploit loose aggressive players and maniacs. They are making good slow plays.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If the price of a seat at a poker table is dictating your play then you are playing outside your bankroll.

If you satellite into a big money tournament then why change your normal game?

If your table is "afraid" to play then you should steal blinds more frequently. Regardless of tournament buyin..

You should always use aggression to build a stack AND play top cards....lol

Good luck !

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cant say how many times i have won a satty to the bigger tourns only to find myself lose early, still trying to get my head around this, sometines i feel i put more pressure on myself trying not to lose when winning the sattalite

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are in a good bankroll management, don't worry and play as normal (you should have a better level of study (for this watch videos of pros

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I avoid playing big tournaments if I already have a small bankroll. But I played a couple of times a big tournament with a small bankroll and played hard and cautiously because I did not want to spend such a big buy-in so easily and from $ 50 which was a pretty big buy-in and tournament for my bankroll then. I only came in with the strongest cards in the game and the postflop game, so I did not want to take too much risk and this is the best option for me, but of course it all depends on the person. Greetings!

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really affects, I play much better in that situation I think the pressure give me an amazing concentration. (I'm not talking about play out of bankroll, I'm talking about play big tournaments coming from satellite).

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's going to affect your play and decisions, don't play bigger buy-in games with a small BR.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
From time to time I am playing events with sensitively larger BI than my BR could afford, and this happens only when:
- I won some nice satty (usually through Star Coins or some last cents left);
- There is a series of crowd events with great prizes, and I can afford the BI (SCOOP, WCOOP, etc);
- When I run as a horse on behalf on other backers.

How I play them? Just the same way I am playing CC freerolls, CC Events or CC League - nothing special. The main thing is to isolate the negative effect of "scared money" - do not let this dictate your game as it will not secure you any success!

In the same time, try to preserve yourself of getting beyond your usual style of play, because as already someone mentioned - there are Regs who know how to take your chips easily :p Usually, in the early stages you will see players taking out the pot with crap hands - the biggest mistake would be to widen your range in order to take advantage :D

The only thing I am still trying to improve is reaching the FT in these mtt's and big money :) But I think that I still have a too small number of such larger BI mtt's played, so I could be satisfied so far with marginal cash outs in many of them ...

GL Sharon :top: You have my skype if you want to talk more about this topic :)