Better results after 1st hour of play

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all , I've noticed from my own play that once i pass (if) the 1st hour of play, I almost always get to or close to the final table, is it a me thing or does it happen to others?
I'm not sure if it's a leak or nerves or something else in my game, but for sure if I pass the 1 hour mark , good things usually happen

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For me, I often play freerolls. In the main you make the money after around 45-60 mins. I find after this point the poor players are happy with their 10c and get knocked out soon after. Once you're playing against poker players, decision making gets easier, because you are playing with rational, logical players, so you can put them on a range and rely on them to be paying attention to you, too.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OHHHHH so that why I did not make it past 10 cents winnings. That explains it. LOL

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all , I've noticed from my own play that once i pass (if) the 1st hour of play, I almost always get to or close to the final table, is it a me thing or does it happen to others?
I'm not sure if it's a leak or nerves or something else in my game, but for sure if I pass the 1 hour mark , good things usually happen

Maybe u concentrate with time, and after concentrated u play ur best poker

Ross McCollum

Ross McCollum

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the difficulty of a tournament increases as the weaker and unlucky players bust out. In other words, its easier to get from 500th place to 250th place than 9th place to 1st.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, I often play freerolls. In the main you make the money after around 45-60 mins. I find after this point the poor players are happy with their 10c and get knocked out soon after. Once you're playing against poker players, decision making gets easier, because you are playing with rational, logical players, so you can put them on a range and rely on them to be paying attention to you, too.
Exactly!

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It cant seem to win a pot no matter when ahead near the money... 5 tourneys today 2-5 from money. I flop a set vs 2 pair they get full house, AK vs A7 preflop hits his 7, ect ect ect..

Pulling my hair out today

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The gameplay chances a lot after the first hour. Maybe the way you're playing just fits better with late game tactics needed to win. Try looking for some articles about early stage MTT tactics and see if you're playing that way or not. Another thing to watch for is the donk play of the first hour which can really hurt your results early on.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The gameplay chances a lot after the first hour. Maybe the way you're playing just fits better with late game tactics needed to win. Try looking for some articles about early stage MTT tactics and see if you're playing that way or not. Another thing to watch for is the donk play of the first hour which can really hurt your results early on.

Hi, I will look into it for sure , for now I'll try be more circumspect in the 1st hour, as I do pull the trigger and be a bit super aggressive in that time, a bit of a donk myself ealry on :D , the days that i take it more seriously from the start are different though, chose spots take advantage and win

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It cant seem to win a pot no matter when ahead near the money... 5 tourneys today 2-5 from money. I flop a set vs 2 pair they get full house, AK vs A7 preflop hits his 7, ect ect ect..

Pulling my hair out today

Hi, keep pushing and trying, i had KK and shoved preflop only to get called by AA last night, so lol, i know it happens, same night had trip 10s only to loose to river flush preflop all in, sometimes the chips are going in any way, i played a bit badly yesterday and so no excuse, it just makes me more determined to do well and justify all the good hands I've had just to waste later on, full houses, trips etc all nice hands , haha look out I'm fully charged and primed for action :p

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With me it is very much the opposite situation--i can usually concentrate for about an hour after which i start to play bad--after about an hour and a half i lose all my concentration and patience and basically just call off all my chips or bluff off all my chips--i think it might have something to do with getting old--i have to play freerolls or very short money sessions for low stakes or spin and gos

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not even the first hour for me. If I make it past the first 4 hands, I tend to do well for the rest of the tournament. I think the beginning of the game is definitely the hardest part of the game in general. You have very little fold equity when everyone else has the same size stack as you. People don't start to respect your bet till you got them covered.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, nice replies so far, I'm taking in all the ideas so far, partly go me thinking that it may be any of the following ideas
- Players with bad chips to blind ratio getting desperate and play with looser hand ranges (allows me to punish those )
- players paying attention to the play and get to know your range (can use to my advantage depending on what i decide to portray) also depends a lot on stack sizes as some will change a lot depending on stack size,
- the motivation of all the players who have been eliminated and the much smaller numbers remaining (getting closer to the $ and counting how many are left)
- pot greed , bigger pots tempt people to change their game for the worse
- fear of mistakes, we all feel that one mistake at higher levels spells doom.
just some thoughts

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe when the blinds go up and you get further into the tournament, you concentrate more and have more confidence.

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After an hour of game, you can begin to use the image and steal the blinds, which will allow you to confidently move towards the chip leader.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the difficulty of a tournament increases as the weaker and unlucky players bust out. In other words, its easier to get from 500th place to 250th place than 9th place to 1st.

Very true!!

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Have you reviewed your hand volume in the 2 hours? Do you play more, or less, in either one?

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you reviewed your hand volume in the 2 hours? Do you play more, or less, in either one?

Hi, hard to say , i haven't used any software and i might not ever, i would say my guess is i play more after the 1st hour since if you don't do something the blinds will get ya , my gut feeling is my opponents may have a lot to do with the 1st hour thing, but I'm not sure,
Also , once i get to the final table i have about 50% or better chances of winning. .. so more clues to the puzzle

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I dont have that situation,in your case maybe you become relaxed after one hour of playing,anything its possible....but if is it like that than that is good,so good lucky and win some tournaments!!!!