Best tournaments for a new player

G

giosach

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

First post here, and I just wanted to say how lucky I feel that I have found this site, been very helpful for a newbie like me.

So to the point. I'm a new poker player, been playing for about 3 months now. At first I was playing at bwin poker due to the fact that I also have an account for sports betting there. Although software is good, the level of players was pretty low, so I created a pokerstars account. Did much better there, cashed a few times and even final tabled one tourney, but very often I find my self surrounded by people in the table who literally dont know what they're doing, but somehow win. Is there any kind of tournaments where these players can be avoided? As a newbie I've experimented with tournaments, cash games and so on, but I like normal tournaments the most ( KOs not that much ) and some SNGs and Grand Tours every now and then. Any specific tournement recommendations would be pretty helpful. Please note that for now my BR is pretty small, looking to add some to it soon.

Thanks in advance!

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find my self surrounded by people in the table who literally dont know what they're doing, but somehow win.

You're going to have regs and fish at every stakes, so there's no way of avoiding subpar play. That said, the sentence above makes me think you might not be giving enough credit to your villains. If they're winning consistently, despite "not knowing what they're doing" then you might be missing something.

I used to despise flop chasers until I realized that they have pot equity post-flop on anything up to a pot-sized bet. Then all the fishing made more sense. I started overbetting the pot post-flop if I didn't want them to continue.

There are still going to be fish who call anyway, but I know that they'll lose more money than I win doing that in the long-run. :icon_joke

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a 10 -15 minute blind levels with a slowly increasing blind structure and around 10000 chips at least with hopefully less than 300 people in it and 5%- to 20% overlay

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you are saying literally makes no sense. You want to play against better players to win? It's a nonsense :)

If you can't beat worst players consistently, better players will eat you alive. Just stay where the fish are, learn to beat them by making proper value bets, putting them on ranges etc., and then move higher. Even the best players in the world preffer to play against fish and not similar champions...

It's true that bad players call a lot and sometimes hit big, but it's their calling what makes you earn money. You really don't want to play against players, who deceive their hands, fold quickly to your monster and raise a lot giving you tough decisions with medium hands. Leave them for later when you get the experience.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Welcome to our community.
Thanks to the freerolls of our community, every player can quickly build a decent bankroll. If you are a beginner, then our community is the best place for you. I recommend that you pay attention to our free course, which will allow you to significantly improve your results.
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

In addition, if you are just starting out, I recommend you also create an account at 888. This site has good conditions for beginner players and a large number of daily freerolls.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I usually recommend the 360 player .10c SNG on Stars for newer players..

Good luck and keep studying/practicing!

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice. Play freeroll. The best way to win some cash and reinvest to other tournaments.​

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I honestly don't see a big difference, new, old players...
But as saying above, try the $0.10 / 360P to make adjustments without spending a lot

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What you are saying literally makes no sense. You want to play against better players to win? It's a nonsense :)

If you can't beat worst players consistently, better players will eat you alive. Just stay where the fish are, learn to beat them by making proper value bets, putting them on ranges etc., and then move higher. Even the best players in the world preffer to play against fish and not similar champions...

It's true that bad players call a lot and sometimes hit big, but it's their calling what makes you earn money. You really don't want to play against players, who deceive their hands, fold quickly to your monster and raise a lot giving you tough decisions with medium hands. Leave them for later when you get the experience.

As for your question, which tournaments are best for a new player, it depends on, what your goal is with poker. If you want to have fun, then just find, what you enjoy most and can afford. Make a budget. If you want to become a "for profit" player, then start by reading the quoted reply one more time. And then one more again. Because this is, how important it is. Playing for profit is all about finding the bad players and then beat them.

As for practice I recommend the 45-180 man SnGs on Stars, because they run all the time, have a low rake, and have buyins as low as 25c. If you can afford to deposit 100$, it is fine to start with the 1$ 45 man though. Back in the day I grinded around 400 of these with an ROI of 20%. And the important is not the 80$, I won, its the practice, it gave me, which helped me become a winning player at up to 10$ MTTs at least.

K

KPC16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're on ACR I would play their freerolls and pennyroll series. That is what I am currently doing now.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pokerstars used to host poker school tournaments every day. Now only regular freerolls remain. Read and play freerolls. Go for money.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Hi, welcome. Beside freerolls I recommend you single table SnG games at 888poker, micro and low mtts also there. And 'Big' series daily mtts with 10 mins levels at Pokerstars.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For starters, S&Gs can be good. For example, Pokerstars has $ 0.02 for 990 players or $ 0.10 for 360 players. But there are still $ 0.25 45- or 90-player S&Gs that can be ideal for beginners.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Deep stack tourny's help newbies stay around a little longer,,, :) I like playing them,,,helps with variance.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trying to avoid players who don't know what they are doing in micro buy-in tournaments will be difficult, but I think most people would think that's a good thing. :D

One of the main skills in small stakes tournaments is learning to separate bad players from their chips - strong fundamentals will go a long way.

You will be short-stacked at some point in most tournaments, so learn your all-in or fold ranges for different stack sizes and positions and take advantage of those who haven't.

Practice making the right decisions and not worrying about the results and you will go far.

Good luck! :D

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been sticking to freerolls on ACR and BOL. CardsChat freeroll are definitely the ones that are the most fun and the level is way higher that other freerolls.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Welcome, well, first I must say that I don't think you can find a specific tournament in which you can avoid these types of players, well if we think about it a little better, you may not get that type of players in big ticket tournaments, and I'm talking about tournaments I don't know more than $ 250 a ticket, believe me that in the lowest ones you will get everything, I would not like to say hey you must get used to playing against them, but basically that's the way it is

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you are absolutely right, sng is the best solution for you. Play cheap satellites for medium and large tournaments this is a good base for understanding poker now. About aggressive and incomprehensible players, this is poker, my friend! :) I think you should not think about it, you will see a thousand times more stupid tables and opponents who play very stupid. Never mind a lot of players are playing for fun :) This is online poker! :) low inputs and this is an excuse to play like crazy :) I don't think you should play cash, spin&go, or pay a full buy-in for MTT. Satellites are what you need! :) good luck :)

Damon2479

Damon2479

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
New here and online

I have played quite a few tournaments in person at local bars. I have won a few and or been in the money. I have won anywhere from $100 to around $800 being my biggest win. I enjoy this site and learning from others. I have found that for myself playing in freerolls if I play a little loose in the beginning and tighten up a little bit when my bankroll is bigger I go further in the freerolls. Now if I can just get to the point not to make that 1 dumb call that ends my tournament chances.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's strange to leave a room where the level of players is low in your opinion, why?

sequoia

sequoia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I noticed that in regular mtt (not KO), much more adequate players, if you play on pokerstars i can recommend such tournaments as: Big, Hot, or some SnG.

Last edited:

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not look for easy ways, learn to beat players of any level, it is winning over any type of player that makes you a good poker player.:)

G

giosach

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all, and thanks for your answers, also sorry for the late reply! I studied your recommendations carefully and you're right, I just need to be more patient against not so good players( not saying that I'm a pro, but at least I dont shove KJo against AA with 145 bbs :laugh:).
Unfortunately I live in Greece where only PokerStars and Bwin poker are available. However, i found some tourneys that I believe fit well into my style of play and level of experience. Finally, as someone asked above, yes, my goal is to become a "for profit" player but of course I'm aware it's not going to happen overnight, or even in the next year. For now I'm happy with my 161th place finish out of 2800 that I had a few minutes ago ( AA cracked by 55 with 19 bbs :(, but hey, 3 times my buy-in). Again, thanks for all your replies and hope to see you around in the forum.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

You are going to get that tipe of play on all levels of tourney online. Speally in low stakes. If you are a newbie , take the cardschat 30 day free poker course it is very helpfull , even if you think you are a decent player. The fact that there are so many donks and fishes is good , because with good play you should win over the long haul. All the Cardschat freerolls on the different sites are great, for starting and building a bankroll. I find the Bet online and intertops, the easyest win..GG poker has a good level and has a real poker feel. Plusif you win some money in the CC tourneys , you can then go on to play multilevel tourneys on those sites. Rght now bet online has great tourneys every day and you can get in realcheap on free and low level satellites. tourneys from 20 to 300k.