Ask Ryan Laplante About Tournaments

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the one thing id like to know is the reason sng tournaments differ from mtt tournaments. Why are they played differant.
Just more people in MTTs.

That affects payout %, and makes the bubble work a bit differently.

Technically they are the same though.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

Signed up with partypoker and was wondering on what your thoughts were on the variety of tournaments and whether there are better sites?

Not really a cash game player, more of a hobby MTT, small/medium buy ins.

Thanks,

John
Party and 888 are both reasonable options for smsll stakes.

Stars can have larger fields, but also higher rake.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One question about 888 - how secure is it? They asked for my social and none of the other poker rooms did, so I got turned off. Is that at least semi-normal?
888 is very secure.

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing in a $125 tournament where the hand came to a showdown between the two guys that were sitting to my left. The guy sitting next to me kept his cards face down next to him and said " I have two pairs. Turn your cards over." The dealer started pushing the chips towards him, and his opponent turned over AK. There were an ace and an 8 on the board, and the guy directly to my right did have two pairs. The two began bickering with each and kept it up until the dealer had to call the floor manager to ask for a ruling. They were both warned that they had to stop arguing, or there would be a penalty.

Is this a slow roll? It definitely was not a cool thing to do. Everybody at the table saw that he did not turn his cards over after the showdown, and yet he kept trying to deny it.

Last edited:
EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask me anything tournament poker related that doesnt involve a specific hand!

Topics like: Theory questions, studying questions, mindset, game selection, bankroll management, staking industry, sites to play on, software and tools, etc.

If you'd like my input on a handhistory please post it in the designated area of the site and I'll happily give my input!

Hello, Ryan! "9-year-old professional ..." - how long did it take you to become one? I learned to play poker for a year! How much longer does it take to prepare to become a professional?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Ryan! "9-year-old professional ..." - how long did it take you to become one? I learned to play poker for a year! How much longer does it take to prepare to become a professional?
That depends on how hard you work, how much you study. Lots of great resources out there to learn from!

A

awkplayer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Near the bubble of a tournament, with a good stack (above average and with enough BBs for me to play comfortably), should I press or just wait for the bubble?

LéoSRibeiro

LéoSRibeiro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask me anything tournament poker related that doesnt involve a specific hand!

Topics like: Theory questions, studying questions, mindset, game selection, bankroll management, staking industry, sites to play on, software and tools, etc.

If you'd like my input on a handhistory please post it in the designated area of the site and I'll happily give my input!

Hello, Ryan.
I need to ask for your help.

Is there any material for me to learn how to more easily calculate odds and pot odds?
I'm having a hard time doing this quickly during tournaments.
A hug ... I'm your fan.! :D

Vodnik2017

Vodnik2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, Ryan.
is it possible to successfully play MTT without having a good practice of cash or SnG?

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That depends on how hard you work, how much you study. Lots of great resources out there to learn from!

Thank you! I'm constantly studying the theory of poker, but in practice the game can go completely different!

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Ryan, I know several poker players report that AA or KK should be played aggressively. The situation is that I've lost a few times with this type of hand and I do not want that to happen, I want to maximize my chances of winning with this type of hand.
Let's say I'm in a $ 100 Cardchat Freeroll tournament, with 50% of the players eliminated, today I'm aware that leaders in the Leaderboard table are great poker players and are not joking around. The point is, to maximize my chances of winning with monster hands like AA or KK against one or two villains. How should I play this type of hand?

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Ryan,

One of my difficulties is to keep my stack in the final stages of the tournaments, specifically near the ITM. I consider myself a tight aggressive player and I think that many players take advantage of my style in those stages. What recommendations would you give me for that semifinal and final stages of the tournament?

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight when the tables are loose and loose when they are tight.

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Ryan. I posted a couple of hands today in the tournament hand section, would like your input when you have a minute. I'm considering hiring a coach to work through these spots, I understand you offer coaching? Keen to see your approach to hand analysis.

Cheers

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Near the bubble of a tournament, with a good stack (above average and with enough BBs for me to play comfortably), should I press or just wait for the bubble?
Above avg = hammer the bubble. way Below avg = wait and cash

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Ryan.
I need to ask for your help.

Is there any material for me to learn how to more easily calculate ODDS and Pot Odds?
I'm having a hard time doing this quickly during tournaments.
A hug ... I'm your fan.! :D
Gotta practice lots away from the tables.

Aristodemus_

Aristodemus_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ryan,
Is there some place that is good to learn all the maths involved in making calls, and how reliant on maths do you think someone who plays MTT poker should be?

Thanks.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan, I know several poker players report that AA or KK should be played aggressively. The situation is that I've lost a few times with this type of hand and I do not want that to happen, I want to maximize my chances of winning with this type of hand.
Let's say I'm in a $ 100 Cardchat Freeroll tournament, with 50% of the players eliminated, today I'm aware that leaders in the Leaderboard table are great poker players and are not joking around. The point is, to maximize my chances of winning with monster hands like AA or KK against one or two villains. How should I play this type of hand?
If you dont play generally agressively your stack will dwindle away! Gotta lean towards agression with monsters and bluffs.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Ryan,

One of my difficulties is to keep my stack in the final stages of the tournaments, specifically near the ITM. I consider myself a tight aggressive player and I think that many players take advantage of my style in those stages. What recommendations would you give me for that semifinal and final stages of the tournament?
Use that image to steal spots with weaker hands in mid-late position. Use offsuit broadways or suited connectors/gappers as steals.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan. I posted a couple of hands today in the tournament hand section, would like your input when you have a minute. I'm considering hiring a coach to work through these spots, I understand you offer coaching? Keen to see your approach to hand analysis.

Cheers
Replied.

I am very structured, but use that structure to teach indepth adjustments based on your opponents.

Vodnik2017

Vodnik2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ryan!
Can I meet with you at the table on the freeroll CC on pokerstars and hear your assessment of the playing field and the main noticed characteristic errors?

How do you think - how many freerolls CC will you have to play to win at least one?

Last edited:
lovemiscou

lovemiscou

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi Ryan,
my question is did i play this wrong? So i am playing the 100k freeroll on PS, first place is a 5200.00 ticket, there is about 285 left out of 36 000 or so, next pay advance is at 195 wich is a 55.00 ticket. I have 410,000 chips blinds i think are at 50 000 for BB so with the blinds and antes close to 100k. Here is my hand and toughts on why i played it that way. I am get KQ diamonds in UG+1. So i look at the stacks of my opponents,3 of them have less chips then me, 2 of them have about 40k more then me and 2 have over a million. Here is my tought, i have a good hand, if i raise 2.5 BB, i will be almost pot committed and if i fold, i wouldn't be left with much. So i taught what if i go all in, still have enough chips to make it hard to call an all in from early position. So i went all in, every one folded but the BB who called me with AJ off and he won.

My odder question is the AJ off call here a good one? Just wondering cause i always fold AJ to an early all in raise from early position from a descent stack.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan!
Can I meet with you at the table on the freeroll CC on PokerStars and hear your assessment of the playing field and the main noticed characteristic errors?

How do you think - how many freerolls CC will you have to play to win at least one?
Ive played in some of the acr freerolls. None of the stars ones though.

2/Fieldsize id expect my win rate to be.