Ask Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier About Sit ‘n Goes!

konatus

konatus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is a reasonable ROI in SNG micro stakes on pokerstars?

$ 0.50 %?
$ 1.50 %?
$ 3.50 %?

konatus

konatus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is a reasonable ROI in SNG micro stakes on PokerStars?

$ 0.50 ?
$ 1.50 ?
$ 3.50 ?

"Single Table Tournaments

The classic nine-man SNG has relatively low swings, but it’s still very possible to lose money playing hundreds of these games. At the micro-stakes, your goal will be to achieve at least a 5% ROI and you’ll ideally want a bankroll of at least 100 buy-ins."

From the book Becoming a Winning Poker Player in 30 days

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Single Table Tournaments

The classic nine-man SNG has relatively low swings, but it’s still very possible to lose money playing hundreds of these games. At the micro-stakes, your goal will be to achieve at least a 5% ROI and you’ll ideally want a bankroll of at least 100 buy-ins."

From the book Becoming a Winning Poker Player in 30 days

Exactly!

sharkscope leaderboards can be a good resource for these questions, but as a rough guideline 5% is a very good goal to shoot for in the micros.

Keep in mind though that any ROI that's above 0% means you're playing better than average since you're beating the rake.

Clease

Clease

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Hello Collin,

try again to beat the SNGs and found in my old Books Sit 'n Go Expert Advice in German from you. It is the first edition from 2007 (time is going fast). My question can i still use it. I'm also doing the 30 days training here. Thanks for your answer

Clease

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have played many SnGs and do reasonably well in them, I have found them to be a great way to increase my Bankroll even when I have on some days, lost every game I played, but then come back a day or so later, and finish in the money on every game I play.
Cash games for me have always been a Live event because I am able to get better reads on other players, that are impossible when you play on-line, the small tells like a throbbing pulse in the neck, or a slight twitch in the eye, always give me some information when I am playing Live.
I have been a member of Cardschat for over a year now and although I have cashed in many Free-roll tournaments over the years I have been playing, I never actually won one outright, Come close now and again, but never Top Dog, not until I did your course "How to be a Winning player in 30 days".
Since doing the course I have had some better results and even won a few Free-rolls so for that I am very Grateful to you both, Colin and Katie, keep up the great work, and I will always recommend your course here on Cardschat.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

konatus

konatus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hooot sequence of results

The book helps a lot.

I am in a good sequence of results after read your books :) Maybe I should play the $ 1.50 STT

Sng 9 man hot sequence

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Collin,

try again to beat the SNGs and found in my old Books Sit 'n Go Expert Advice in German from you. It is the first edition from 2007 (time is going fast). My question can i still use it. I'm also doing the 30 days training here. Thanks for your answer

Clease

Hi Clease, While the fundamentals definitely still apply, the game has moved on a lot since then so I would focus mainly on the 30 day course which is designed for the modern games.

I have played many SnGs and do reasonably well in them, I have found them to be a great way to increase my Bankroll even when I have on some days, lost every game I played, but then come back a day or so later, and finish in the money on every game I play.
Cash games for me have always been a Live event because I am able to get better reads on other players, that are impossible when you play on-line, the small tells like a throbbing pulse in the neck, or a slight twitch in the eye, always give me some information when I am playing Live.
I have been a member of Cardschat for over a year now and although I have cashed in many Free-roll tournaments over the years I have been playing, I never actually won one outright, Come close now and again, but never Top Dog, not until I did your course "How to be a Winning player in 30 days".
Since doing the course I have had some better results and even won a few Free-rolls so for that I am very Grateful to you both, Colin and Katie, keep up the great work, and I will always recommend your course here on Cardschat.

Thanks so much! We're very happy to hear of your recent success at the tables, and greatly appreciate you recommending the course to others.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

The book helps a lot.

I am in a good sequence of results after read your books :) Maybe I should play the $ 1.50 STT

View attachment 294689

Nice work! While this is a fairly small sample size, if you feel good in your understanding of the fundamentals, then it sounds very reasonable to move up to the $1.50s soon. Keep it up :)

P

Peterbis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hallo Collin and Katie:)

Hallo Collin and Katie I have been reading the posts in here and the replys, learned a lot.

I have some questions that I hope you can help me with.

I play sit and go on pokerstars on demand 18-45 players 2 dollars.

I use ICmizer and have constructed some ALL IN ranges and calling ranges for late game.

But have trouple with my raising range at 15bb. Lets say you are in the money, 5 people left.

Which hands can you raise/fold from UTG, CO, BTN?
Know this is player depended and who is in the BB, but maybe there are some
guidelines you can use

Another question du you call much tighter from the BB when you are in the money, because of ICM?

Than you so much and have a fantastic day:)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure you can expect Collin and Katie to jump in and answer questions like this. Great if they do, but dont get dissapointed if they dont. As you already said yourself "it depends". So you have 15BB, and someone else have you covered, but what are the exact stack sizes of everyone else, and how are they distributed? This is important to know, because ICM is so important on the final table.

If HJ is running on fumes, you are CO, and the 3 players behind all have you covered, then you should probably just fold a lot and wait for CO to get hit by the blinds next. And if you do decide to enter a pot with 15BB, maybe its better to do it by open jamming, so you take away the option for someone else to rejam on you. Its really all about thinking ahead about, how others are going to respond to your play, and what you would like or not like to happen.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Collin and Katie,

what stack distributions do you think are most important to study for ICM - (top 10/20 most critical to understand).

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning to u

Good morning to you. On wsop for Pennsylvania I want a spin ticket for $215 for a buying tournament my choosing I have about two months to use that ticket. I have decided to use the ticket for the signature series of WSOP Pennsylvania the price Pool is $135,000 this is the first major tournament that will be playing in certainly the biggest buying. The tournament is on the 21st of November next Sunday I want to know from you how do I go about preparing for this tournament I'm basically a micro-stakes play. My bank roll on WSOP Pennsylvania it's over $1,300 how do I best prepare for a tournament this if you could get back to me I would greatly appreciate it thank you and have a nice day good-bye.

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is my reply

Colin Mossman this is my reply to u I made this morning.

Good morning to you. On WSOP for Pennsylvania I want a spin ticket for $215 for a buying tournament my choosing I have about two months to use that ticket. I have decided to use the ticket for the signature series of WSOP Pennsylvania the price Pool is $135,000 this is the first major tournament that will be playing in certainly the biggest buying. The tournament is on the 21st of November next Sunday I want to know from you how do I go about preparing for this tournament I'm basically a micro-stakes play. My bank roll on WSOP Pennsylvania it's over $1,300 how do I best prepare for a tournament this if you could get back to me I would greatly appreciate it thank you and have a nice day good-bye.

B

BigFatRat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove Artist $5 6max Turbos

Hello Collin,

As always, I want to first thank you for your time here and your excellent strategy content.

My problem lately is relatively small, but annoying. There is one particular opponent I run into often who has a tendency to shove a lot, regardless of blind level, effective stacks, etc. when this player is to my left, they 3bet shove my raises almost always, and I find myself folding quite a bit, as we are often talking about calling for 30bb or more.

How would you adjust to this person, both when you have position on them, and when you are out of position?

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Collin and Katie!

What exactly means "poker skill" for you?

May be for each of you its something different - or no?

Thanks.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it possible to earn $ 500 -1000 per month in Sit 'n Goes tournaments?

B

BigFatRat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it possible to earn $ 500 -1000 per month in Sit 'n Goes tournaments?

I can attest from personal experience that this is very possible, even at low stakes.

Rough numbers, assuming $1000 goal, $10+$1 buy in, and 30 days per month:

15% ROI: 20 games per day
10% ROI: 30 games per day
5% ROI: 60 games per day

So it depends on your average buy in, ability, and volume, but from the $11 buy in example above, it can be seen that $1000 per month for SNG play is very attainable. And that isn’t even taking into account any bonuses or rakeback.

P

peytoneli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Full time Sit and Go's

Hi, I recently left my job and have a 15k bankroll. I'm looking to make 100-200 a day full time playing turbo single table sit and go's on Acr. Is that possible and do you have any suggestions for the best stakes I should be playing? Thanks.

MrFixxiT

MrFixxiT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
I see this thread is not active anymore, but I do have some questions.

You (@Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier) have done the 30 days course here on CardsChat, Collin has written some books, of which the Sit n Go one was very well received back when it got published (I have a copy still from back then). On the Hendon Mob I see that you both have played some live tournaments, but stopped with doing them after 2013 (or so it seems)? Don't you enjoy the live tournaments?

So my question really is, are you (still) playing poker for a living? Did you ever play poker for a living? Or was it always a side-job/hobby?
What kind of games and at what stakes are you playing currently mostly and where?
And what are you doing nowadays for your main income?

I like what you did with the 30 days course. Genuinely something I would recommend to newer players or players that want to go beyond 'just playing' and gut feelings.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see this thread is not active anymore, but I do have some questions.

You (@Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier) have done the 30 days course here on CardsChat, Collin has written some books, of which the Sit n Go one was very well received back when it got published (I have a copy still from back then). On the Hendon Mob I see that you both have played some live tournaments, but stopped with doing them after 2013 (or so it seems)? Don't you enjoy the live tournaments?

So my question really is, are you (still) playing poker for a living? Did you ever play poker for a living? Or was it always a side-job/hobby?
What kind of games and at what stakes are you playing currently mostly and where?
And what are you doing nowadays for your main income?

I like what you did with the 30 days course. Genuinely something I would recommend to newer players or players that want to go beyond 'just playing' and gut feelings.

They are no longer active on the forum.

MrFixxiT

MrFixxiT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
They are no longer active on the forum.
Oh, ok. Thanks for your reply.
Is there any specific reason for that?
CardsChat is still using and promoting the course they made for CardsChat right?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh, ok. Thanks for your reply.
Is there any specific reason for that?
CardsChat is still using and promoting the course they made for CardsChat right?

They just got busy with other things, have some young children etc.

We ow the course so it will always be on CardsChat. )