Ask Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier About Sit ‘n Goes!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys! Collin and I have some cool stuff planned with CardsChat that we’re excited to announce soon!

And to get things started, ask us anything about SNGs, or anything else if you’d like :)

My Proudest SNG Accomplishments:
  • Over 100,000 online poker tournaments played, most of them SNGs
  • Played 40 or more tables regularly at once
  • Having so many great friends in the poker community!
My husband Collin’s SNG Accomplishments:
  • Wrote the best-selling book Sit ‘N Go Strategy
  • Staked and coached hundreds of players to beat SNGs
  • Almost $60,000 in profit and a 28% ROI from 180man SNG alone
We’re mostly playing on US-friendly sites now, but here are our SNG profit graphs on Stars where we’ve played the most. Collin is on 50 different sharkscope SNG leaderboards! But I’ve played more games than he has :p

2pt3wpv.png

OK ask us anything!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are so lucky to have you 2 sng wizards here to help us at CardsChat. I might even start firing up some sng's again!

I was never great at sng's but did very well with MTT's. What are some of the main adjustments a tournament player would need to make if they wanted to try some sng's?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aw, thanks Debi!

I’d say to just think of sngs as mini-tournaments where everything happens faster! ICM of course comes into play way sooner than in MTTs, which I think is the single most important thing to keep in mind. Also make sure to keep a close eye on the effective stack which can become short much more quickly than in an average MTT which will effect every decision we make—all the way from generally playing fewer speculative hands early to those crucial shove/fold spots later on.

In fact, sngs can be a great way to study up for playing MTTs in a condensed amount of time, also because of the great benefit of more short-handed poker experience!

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Excited to find out what you both have in store for us at CardsChat and reading your expert advice here.

I have dabbled with sng's in the past but don't tend to play them too often these days I must get back to playing them!

How did you two get into playing sng's was it a time constraint thing or a way to pass the time while waiting for a big mtt to start? What do you think of the spin n go type sng which I think Stars started and other rooms have followed suit, do you play them or does the random prize pool aspect put you off?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Martin!

I started off playing $25nl cash games and got into SNGs when I was trying different formats and discovered that 10man SNGs (they all had 10 players back in those days!) were a lot of fun and easy to beat with a super-simple tight strategy. I did play other formats including MTT then, but always loved one-table SNGs and played them as my primary game.

Katie started playing SNGs (I believe!) because that was my main format and she started playing online poker after we met.

I think spins are cool but like you said, the variance is incredibly high, and the rake can be difficult to beat on some sites/stakes. With that said, if you find soft spins and enjoy the format, then they're fun and can definitely be profitable. I prefer conventional SNGs though!

Excited to find out what you both have in store for us at CardsChat and reading your expert advice here.

I have dabbled with sng's in the past but don't tend to play them too often these days I must get back to playing them!

How did you two get into playing sng's was it a time constraint thing or a way to pass the time while waiting for a big mtt to start? What do you think of the spin n go type sng which I think Stars started and other rooms have followed suit, do you play them or does the random prize pool aspect put you off?

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow I started reading your book like 2 days ago again even though I read it a year or two ago just wanting to go through some fundamentals and concepts that I haven't been implementing in my game and now I see this thread.

I switched from cash games to SNG's not too long ago as well as I find them to be more consistent in terms on win rate.

There is not that much SNG material out there and I am very excited about this thread.
Also congrats to CardsChat they continue to do good things for their members and the poker community in general and this is a prime example.

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi and welcome to this great poker forum! I’m really happy to see this thread.
I’d like to ask about where specifically you play SnGs online (since it’s a struggle to find good us-facing sites), and also to ask where in the us you live.
And perhaps could you also share your thoughts and expectations about the future of us online poker.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow I started reading your book like 2 days ago again even though I read it a year or two ago just wanting to go through some fundamentals and concepts that I haven't been implementing in my game and now I see this thread.

I switched from cash games to SNG's not too long ago as well as I find them to be more consistent in terms on win rate.

There is not that much SNG material out there and I am very excited about this thread.
Also congrats to CardsChat they continue to do good things for their members and the poker community in general and this is a prime example.

Thanks so much Razzor! Really glad you're enjoying the book, and for sure it's awesome how much CardsChat is doing for their members.

Hi and welcome to this great poker forum! I’m really happy to see this thread.
I’d like to ask about where specifically you play SnGs online (since it’s a struggle to find good us-facing sites), and also to ask where in the us you live.
And perhaps could you also share your thoughts and expectations about the future of us online poker.

Thanks Nabmom! Our online play is on different WPN skins (like BCP and ACR) and some on ignition. You're definitely right that options are limited, but it helps a lot if you're mixing different formats like Jackpots, MTTs or even some cash games in depending on where the action is.

I think there's a real trend toward regulated US online poker now and am hopeful for the future that more and more states will combine player pools, resulting in very good traffic if that happens across enough states :)

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat to the both of you!

I have good success with 9 man SnGs myself. Top 3 ITM format is very obtainable with patience. My challenge right now is to climb the wsop SnG on ACR from Step 1 for $1.65 to Step 7 (15 Seat Guarantee to WSOP Main Event) Any advice on laddering up SnG formats like this one?

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
SNG of 1.00 180 play this and my goal to play in the future I would like to have some tips for this kind of sit in go?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat to the both of you!

I have good success with 9 man SnGs myself. Top 3 ITM format is very obtainable with patience. My challenge right now is to climb the WSOP SnG on ACR from Step 1 for $1.65 to Step 7 (15 Seat Guarantee to WSOP Main Event) Any advice on laddering up SnG formats like this one?

Thanks Ribbybruno! Awesome challenge. I've grinded Stars steps in the past but haven't done the ACR steps grind. I believe they're all in the satellite format though right? I.e. two or three places will get the identical prize of a ticket to the next highest step.

If so, you want to study up on satellite strategy. And here's some good news. The world's best satellite player is doing an AMA too! I think you've actually posted in there so you probably know this already, but he is the one to ask and I would 100% recommend getting his book on Poker Satellite Strategy if you haven't already because it's an amazing resource for any format where 2 or more of the top spots win the same prize.

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to CardChat Collin, Katie ! I dont have question for now..
pokerstrategy : AlexKockar :))))
all the best ;)

LarsLucidor

LarsLucidor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great to see you both here! Thank you Collin for your great book! It has helped me a lot. I'll be sure to come back to you with any questions I have.[emoji4]

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SNG of 1.00 180 play this and my goal to play in the future I would like to have some tips for this kind of sit in go?

I love 180-man sngs! :) Congrats on picking an exciting and super fun format to play. I’d suggest starting by focusing your studying on ICM and short-stacked shove/fold strategy. In general in the low stakes, a tight-aggressive strategy will be a winning one. Good luck!

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Great news, that you will do a thread here at Cardschat about SNGs. It should become an interesting one. I love SNGs beside MTTs. I play mostly the 1 table SNGs and started with 9-handed at normal speed. Meanwhile, I play often the 6-handed turbos. Which speed do you prefer? Do you play also 6-handed often or more full-table SNGs?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Meanwhile, I play often the 6-handed turbos. Which speed do you prefer? Do you play also 6-handed often or more full-table SNGs?

In general I tend to prefer 9-man turbos—though I also love super turbo 9 mans as that was the first poker format that I played a ton of! I will play some 6max too and the regular speed (non turbos) can be a profitable format as well!

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello and thanks for offering some advice to the members of CC! I personally don't play as many sit n goes as I used to, but have always enjoyed them (Usually If I was ever in a time crunch, or wanted to take a break from the crazy tourney variance).

However, If I ever do get back into full on "grind mode" with sit n goes, what do you think about Dons? Im sure they can be profitable, but would I be leaving money on the table by playing these full-time, instead of a typical 9handed SNG? Thanks in advance and welcome Collin to CardsChat! (I've already welcomed you before, Katie! :D)

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys! Collin and I have some cool stuff planned with CardsChat that we’re excited to announce soon!

And to get things started, ask us anything about SNGs, or anything else if you’d like :)

My Proudest SNG Accomplishments:
  • Over 100,000 online poker tournaments played, most of them SNGs
  • Played 40 or more tables regularly at once
  • Having so many great friends in the poker community!
My husband Collin’s SNG Accomplishments:
  • Wrote the best-selling book Sit ‘N Go Strategy
  • Staked and coached hundreds of players to beat SNGs
  • Almost $60,000 in profit and a 28% ROI from 180man SNG alone
We’re mostly playing on US-friendly sites now, but here are our SNG profit graphs on Stars where we’ve played the most. Collin is on 50 different Sharkscope SNG leaderboards! But I’ve played more games than he has :p

2pt3wpv.png

OK ask us anything!

Hi guys, welcome to CardsChat. How do maintain focus and discipline playing 40 tables at a time?

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Collin and Katie welcome to Cardchat. The quality and speed of your replies is very impressive.
Im a beginner in online play and Im curious about where to learn more about shove/fold strategy. Is shove fold strategy the same in SnGs and MTTs?
My last question for now is; for a beginner, what SnGs would be best to start with to build a bankroll?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello and thanks for offering some advice to the members of CC! I personally don't play as many sit n goes as I used to, but have always enjoyed them (Usually If I was ever in a time crunch, or wanted to take a break from the crazy tourney variance).

However, If I ever do get back into full on "grind mode" with sit n goes, what do you think about Dons? Im sure they can be profitable, but would I be leaving money on the table by playing these full-time, instead of a typical 9handed SNG? Thanks in advance and welcome Collin to CardsChat! (I've already welcomed you before, Katie! :D)

Thanks Dealio! Good question and keep in mind it's all about your goals. For me I find DON to be a slightly mechanical format but a lot of people love them. If you like the strategy involved and they're soft at your site/buyin then definitely go for it. I've recommended Dara's book on Poker Satellite Strategy earlier in this thread and would do the same here actually, DON works like a one-table satellite with half paid so studying sat strategy is great for DON too.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Collin and Katie welcome to Cardchat. The quality and speed of your replies is very impressive.
Im a beginner in online play and Im curious about where to learn more about shove/fold strategy. Is shove fold strategy the same in SnGs and MTTs?
My last question for now is; for a beginner, what SnGs would be best to start with to build a bankroll?

Thanks HaroldHouse! Good questions.

Shove/fold strategy is (usually) different depending on the format. You can use the same ranges in early-stage MTTSNG (like a 45-man) and MTT play. But it's very different in 9mans because there's a lot of ICM involved from the start.

For a beginner, here is my advice: Find an SNG format that you really enjoy and specialize in it. Study its strategy, get better and better at it, and keep your focus right there. For me that would probably be 9-man turbo SNG, but again just pick the one you like the best and get really good at playing them :)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys, welcome to CardsChat. How do maintain focus and discipline playing 40 tables at a time?

Hi and thanks! :)

Having an extremely stream-lined and efficient setup that works very well for you is very important for mass multi tabling. For me that means played with stacked tables (they pop up when it is your turn to act), using a HUD that displays a limited number of stats, and listening to up-tempo music that encourages me to make good decisions as quickly as possible.

Most importantly, I built up to playing a lot of tables over time, only adding more when I was confident that I was playing well with very few misclicks. Since there’s more potential to miss spots, I also think mass multi tablers should review their own games more even more frequently than those playing fewer tables.

Hope this helps :)

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Welcome to Cardschat!...Greetings from Ecuador, South America