The art of tanking in MTT online

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ever find yourself 30 players away from ITM holding 7.5BB with 300 players left. You are effectively 30 hands away from blinding out. Sometimes you need other players to get knocked out before you to get to the min prize.

Lets discuss how to tank!

First to make it easy, you can use all your timer per hand.
2nd. You can use all the your time bank.

3rd. Turn on off auto muck. This adds a few seconds.

4th. There are times you will be end up in a hand, which you would have definitely shove. But you can always slow play your shove. Shove all but 1 chip. This will make your opp, call or raise. If they raise you can tank again, if they check, each streets you can tank another 15 seconds.

5th. You might want to save your time bank till the very end. But you also get some extra time back during each break. It is good to figure out how much time you get back per break. That time that you spend before the break can stall out a hand.

L

Luqitazzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not agree, I believe that the more time you lose, the less hands will be dealt to you and the less hands you are dealt, the hands you are going to throw are always higher than the ones you will play.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can also disconnect/connect your internet rofl

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not agree, I believe that the more time you lose, the less hands will be dealt to you and the less hands you are dealt, the hands you are going to throw are always higher than the ones you will play.

You lose equity by having less hands to play, but you gain equity with your remaining stack as you move closer to the money.

So if your rate of gain by moving closer is greater than the rate of lose by the number of hands you can play, that has a implied positive EV.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
effectively 30 hands away if blinds and antes don't increase, but they do.

but, honestly, tanking and trying to get into the money that's 30 spots away is just ridiculous and teaches bad late stage mtt habits. if it was 3 spots away, i can agree with it (even though it's something i don't practice) but 30 is just way too excessive.

with 7.5 bbs, the reality is: you're probably going to bust out. and that's ok because you're going to bust out of mtts a lot. however, you're a lot better off finding spots to jam 7.5 bbs pre than you are hoping that 30 players bust out before you do. the chances of that happen is pretty slim, especially with blinds and antes increasing. so, if the likelihood of you busting out by allowing yourself to getting blinded out is there, then (imo) it's better to go out by giving yourself a fighting chance. plus, the times you do run well by taking risks with 7.5 bbs and do run deep will offset the times you bust out. with tanking into a min-cash, which is the best you'll do, you aren't min-cashing enough to make up for the times you bust out before the money.

at least with 7.5 bbs, you still have a bit of fold equity and you can jam wide ranges in spots like btn v blinds, sb vs bb, or my favorite: in bb vs multiple limpers. yes, there is a lot of risk but you put yourself in much better positions to finish deep (or itm) when you do double up or win pots uncontested. by tank folding your stack, you only rely on the hope that enough players bust out and i think that's just an unreliable approach with 30 players left to go.

Last edited:
beldin2010

beldin2010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

but, honestly, tanking and trying to get into the money that's 30 spots away is just ridiculous and teaches bad late stage mtt habits. if it was 3 spots away, i can agree with it (even though it's something i don't practice) but 30 is just way too excessive.

with 7.5 bbs, the reality is: you're probably going to bust out. and that's ok because you're going to bust out of mtts a lot. however, you're a lot better off finding spots to jam 7.5 bbs pre than you are hoping that 30 players bust out before you do. the chances of that happen is pretty slim, especially with blinds and antes increasing. so, if the likelihood of you busting out by allowing yourself to getting blinded out is there, then (imo) it's better to go out by giving yourself a fighting chance. plus, the times you do run well by taking risks with 7.5 bbs and do run deep will offset the times you bust out. with tanking into a min-cash, which is the best you'll do, you aren't min-cashing enough to make up for the times you bust out before the money.

at least with 7.5 bbs, you still have a bit of fold equity and you can jam wide ranges in spots like btn v blinds, sb vs bb, or my favorite: in bb vs multiple limpers. yes, there is a lot of risk but you put yourself in much better positions to finish deep (or itm) when you do double up or win pots uncontested. by tank folding your stack, you only rely on the hope that enough players bust out and i think that's just an unreliable approach with 30 players left to go.

Totally agree here.
One more thing do not forget that you play for the first prize in MTT not to get ITM.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The thing is you can still play the same way, playing all in, in position with fold equity. The 2 doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive. But you can also give your self the chance to make it in the money, if you don’t make an opportunity to make a play.

I mean I totally been there and goes I am jamming this hand 66s. Then 3 mid and large stack jams before you.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't do that. Yes there are situations where i am with so low stack that i try to just fold into the money but i never slow down the game intentionally. I play normally but just with much tighter range than usual. Despite not being illegal i simply do not think that intentional slowdown of the game is ok.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't do that. Yes there are situations where i am with so low stack that i try to just fold into the money but i never slow down the game intentionally. I play normally but just with much tighter range than usual. Despite not being illegal i simply do not think that intentional slowdown of the game is ok.

I think most players do it. Just when do they do it. The average hand time is like 45 seconds when the tournament begins. When you are near the orbit but not hand to hand, the average hand time raise to 2-3 minutes.