Always betting BB base bet first round of a tourney?

A

audacity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I so often like to bet on my first hand in a tournament- regardless of what I have.

If no one has raised, regardless of position.

Does anyone else do this?

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I value my chips on the first as well as the last hand. I start off playing that way especially in the beginning with all the different tournament structures. Some players tend to play very loose at the beginning of a tournament with rebuys, add-ons, etc....

SoCal

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I so often like to bet on my first hand in a tournament- regardless of what I have.

So you're calling for luck? It is also worth a try

F

freddy the monster65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to be honest i rathe not play the first hand i rather have skill over luck any day cause the luck will run out but your skill lv will get better

N

noobydooby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally play more aggressive with my sizes in the earlier stages of tournaments e.g. 4x BB sizes.

There's so often limpers, and actually, even with a sizing like this, you might get three callers!

Definitely no need to get super aggro when you're still 30bb+ at the early stages. Generally, a tight/aggressive play style will suit you well. If you notice your table seems to be folding often though, especially in the blinds, it might be a good idea to widen those ranges a bit.

Hope that helps!

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Lol yes and a few of my closest friends hate it. They think it is stupid, but it's just a thing of mine. I feel like it has something to with a long time ago, an old man said you can't win em all if you don't win the first. For some dumb reason this stuck in my head and I make a bet to try and win the first hand lol Nothing crazy like I won't call off a huge open, or a 3 bet but yes I do the same thing.

A

AAbyss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes I also play like you, sometimes tight

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to mix it up early in tournaments that are not online. I live in a place that doesn’t have card rooms, so it’s often years between games in person. If I wait until i have a legitimate starting hand i will get the shakes real bad. By opening up early, I get my nerves out of the way and, usually at the cost of some chips, can really get down and focus without giving away too many tells.

Online I am tight as I can be until antes. I feel anything else is a waste.

P

petalms2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this sometimes, it's just a thing here and there nothing in stone I should say. If I win the hand so be it if not then no big deal. It's not like I fell like I have to win that hand. Just a little pot sweetner.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless I got a playable hand, I won’t play the first hands. Especially in a freeroll as you are almost guaranteed there will be one or two all in the first hand. I play tight early and loosen up when blinds matter.

Empress

Empress

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm almost the opposite! Unless I have a really good hand, I tend to fold to see how aggressive & active the other players are at the table first.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars