Always a Tournament Bridesmaid.. help?

Sacheen

Sacheen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do well at sit and goes, spin and wins, tournaments. I play tight with an occasional twist to keep them guessing. I think I do well for a fairly new poker player.

I generally make it to final two, and sometimes I win but more often than not, I choke.

Does anybody have a good suggestion on how to switch playing modes in your brain? It's very hard for me to go from a tight player to loosen aggressive for the win with increasing blinds. Usually the only time I play aggressive and loose is after a fight with my husband:rolleyes:

How do you guys switch personalities without natural bipolar tendencies, that other players apparently have :confused: but not me?

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Victory will come with experience, it was just like that with me.;) Comparison with the bridesmaid is just great.:D Good luck at the tables and in life.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes, I agree, it all comes with experience.

I play tourneys in two phases. The first is tight aggressive to make the cash- and I seldom deviate for this style. As soon as I have bubbled I open my range immediately- any strong hand will be bet aggressively. Simple stuff.

However, I do not let expectations run away with me. At best you (anyone) will win a tiny percentage of tournaments along the way. Many pros have never won a sizable tournament in their career.

Set realistic goals- aim to cash regularly. Then aim to ladder up and hit final tables regularly, be proud and recognize those achievements for what they are- achievements.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In short handed, I just think instead of 9 hands out there with the potential to be good there are only 4, 3, or 2 other hands besides mine and that helps me open up my range. depending on who I am playing with sometimes I open nearly 70% of my starting hands at this stage because most people continue to wait for premium hands and will not continue if they don't hit the flop and I can win loads of blinds and chip up.

Steal them blind and then call their all in with their chips. I like thinking that way, I feel that I am relying less on getting lucky with cards and hitting the flop.

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Drink Something Nice!

when you reach that point of "lack of bipolarism", you can attempt to become bi-polar, by adding chemicals to your brain...
Take a str8 brandy or other hard alco, and swish it in your mouth for as long as you can... or take a long draw on your ganja pipe...as I do... and your mindset will change...
It's just a game right? and you are deep in the money right?
It'll be fun! ...and if you fail... well too bad!
or just go all almost every time... at least you will win 50%
You are a rare breed though... I've hardly met non bi-polar Ladies!:heeeellll
Love!

Last edited:
Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I must have finished in 2nd 20 out of the first 21 time i made it to heads up. With practice and time and study I turned around for me and will for you too.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First you have to learn the strategy push a fold, there you learn to open your range.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Staying in the game vs. giving it a real go...

But Playing overly tight, , keeps you in the game, not being eliminated.

When you play it tight, to get to say, top 50, it might help to think, "I've played it correctly, no shame in taking calculated chances." Better to play that marginal hand, J10 K9, and be eliminated at 50, giving it a real go, than hoping and praying for a pocket pair.

Keep your head up, no shame in coming in second.