AK vs AJ MTT

B

bobr1987

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First time posting and writing poker language to bare with me!
1$ MTT Im sitting on 24BB

And im BB

2 limpers before me

Ah Kd for me

I raise to 4bb

He goes all in

I call

He turns AJs (spades)

I call flop comes Th Jh 5d

Turn 7s

Flop 2s

Now i ask is it the correct move to call. He has limped with AK on my BB before when i was shorter stacked. This is to get above average stack and into top 50 or 60. I havve had similar instances when im dominating my opponent i get drawn out when all in at about the same time in a MTT. Whats the story if he had AA or KK i would ok with that. But at the meat end of a tournie im afraid to all in while dominating. Feel like giving up.

Riccoboni

Riccoboni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

And im BB

2 limpers before me

Ah Kd for me

I raise to 4bb

He goes all in

I call

He turns AJs (spades)

Turn 7s

Flop 2s

Now i ask is it the correct move to call. He has limped with AK on my BB before when i was shorter stacked. This is to get above average stack and into top 50 or 60. I havve had similar instances when im dominating my opponent i get drawn out when all in at about the same time in a MTT. Whats the story if he had AA or KK i would ok with that. But at the meat end of a tournie im afraid to all in while dominating. Feel like giving up.

You had 24bb, therefore a fold equity. Only one.
In this case all in is the better action. Infortunaly the his jacks beats.

B

bobr1987

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You had 24bb, therefore a fold equity. Only one.
In this case all in is the better action. Infortunaly the his jacks beats.

So raise 4BB and fold if put all in or go all in to start with?

Cheers

Riccoboni

Riccoboni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So raise 4BB and fold if put all in or go all in to start with?

Cheers

If you put all in first, everyone can fold.
You needed to maximize the EV with your AKo. Raise and call all in is the better estragegy.

(but if you tight, raise and fold, its ok too is with only 24bb)

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are a couple reasons not to mindlessly shove AKo.
One, as is mentioned above, you want someone in the hand with you to pay you off. stealing blinds with AK is a bit lower value than you should be able to get.
The other issue, is when your flop is a complete miss, Ace High isn't that great a hand. Someone playing from the blinds might play wide...some people like a simple flip. But if you raise and miss , you still have an option to abandon a hand which looked great pre-flop but sucks post-flop.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

B

bobr1987

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers people

Im unsure what i will do next in such a situation but no situation is the same i am aware.

Hopefully next time it is a better outcome

Cheers again

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cheers people

Im unsure what i will do next in such a situation but no situation is the same i am aware.

Hopefully next time it is a better outcome

Cheers again

Well, I would do same like you every time, and over and over again. You did right play, because with your AK you block AA and KK hands, and against other hands you have good equity. You just had bad luck that you’re opponent hit one of his three outs. It sucks, but sometimes things like that happens. Don’t be discouraged, just play like that and good results will come. GL on the tables!

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

And im BB

2 limpers before me

Ah Kd for me

I raise to 4bb

He goes all in

I call

He turns AJs (spades)

Turn 7s

Flop 2s

I think the most correct decision is to go All-in,the apponent would fold.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You made the perfect play by shoving here, in my opinion.

And you received the perfect gift!! Your opponent called you with a worse hand that you have dominated. Stop the analysis right here, because you WON THE BATTLE.

Do you understand my words? You won this hand. You didn't lose it. Oh yes, I know what happened, I read your entire post. You think you lost the hand.

I'll try to explain a little bit more... the only thing we can control is the preflop decisions. In this case, your decision was optimal, when you shove AK and you get a player to call you with AJ, you won the preflop battle, you CRUSHED your opponent, you got your opponent to make a big mistake by calling you.

Sadly, as we all understand... there is more to a poker hand than just the preflop battle... we must also win the post-flop battle. So why am I claiming you won here? Because... the simple fact is... once all the chips go into the middle, the hand is now out of our control. You did your job, and you did it well! That's why I consider it a victory even tho you were unlucky and lost the post-flop part when our opponent got lucky and caught a jack.

I hope you understand my attitude here. It is what helps me to overcome these unlucky situations easily and quickly. Yes... the fact is, we lost the hand... but for me, I tell myself that I actually won the hand, and I did my job very well.

Sometimes this is the outcome in poker, there is nothing we can do about it so don't worry about it! If we run this hand 100 times, you're probably going to win 70 times out of the 100, and your opponent will only win about 30 times... that's a win in my book, even if we lose the post-flop hand 30% of the time. Keep doing what you're doing, you did nothing wrong here in my humble opinion... better luck next time but don't let these outcomes change your thinking or your strategy!