AK facing 3bet jam preflop | ICM question

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
12 people left , only 5 get the ticket. Im in 4th.
We've seen the villain shove with JJ pre before. Was this a fold or call in terms of ICM?

Hand Information
No Limit, 8000 BB (6 handed).
Hand History converter courtesy of pokerhandreplays.com

Table Information
Seat: 1 nfjoenkim ($133298) Small Blind
Seat: 2 givdamoney ($114258) Big Blind
Seat: 3 pokeraaakk35 ($161601)
Seat: 4 Hero ($142559)
Seat: 5 chicogaucho ($20868)
Seat: 8 tommyclubs ($126224) Dealer
Seat 1nfjoenkim Ante: 1000
Seat 2givdamoney Ante: 1000
Seat 3pokeraaakk35 Ante: 1000
Seat 4Hero Ante: 1000
Seat 5chicogaucho Ante: 1000
Seat 8tommyclubs Ante: 1000
Dealt to Hero
AK

Preflop (Pot:18000)
pokeraaakk35 FOLD
Hero RAISE $16000
chicogaucho FOLD
tommyclubs FOLD
nfjoenkim FOLD
givdamoney ALL-IN
Hero FOLD
givdamoney RETURN $97258
Showdown:
givdamoney MUCKS

givdamoney wins the pot: $142258

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pretty easy open shove, you dont want to flip or get it in 60 40, so you just jam as you havent locked in the ticket at all. ICM is also not that significant at this point. even though i dont see your position even 8max from utg it would be +ev jam.
Good Luck!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Feisas and Smart make a good point about open-shoving this hand. You can have a min-raising range of premium hands you're going to raise/call, as well as some weaker hands you're going to raise/fold like low AXo hands. Other hands you play (including low-mid pocket pairs) I would just open-shove to avoid having to gamble and AK I'd put in this category.

With that said, I believe that if you do min-raise it's profitable to call off the shove. It will be tough to coast into a ticket with 12 left still so this is a good spot to take and try to clinch a seat right here.

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Feisas and Smart make a good point about open-shoving this hand. You can have a min-raising range of premium hands you're going to raise/call, as well as some weaker hands you're going to raise/fold like low AXo hands. Other hands you play (including low-mid pocket pairs) I would just open-shove to avoid having to gamble and AK I'd put in this category.

With that said, I believe that if you do min-raise it's profitable to call off the shove. It will be tough to coast into a ticket with 12 left still so this is a good spot to take and try to clinch a seat right here.

Hey Collin!
Thank you for the insight. I ended up folding there. Managed to get the ticket nevertheless.
How would you approach this hand if you were 25-30bb deep? would have still open shoved pre ?

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't open shove with 17bbs but i would not fold AK in that situation. You do not have a ticket guaranteed and you should not stop playing until you do.. if you had it locked i would have folded 100% of the hands there