AK early play

3D ICEMAN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am trying to become good enough to beat the micro limits in the SnG, i used to play a lot of speculative hands early on, Like suited connectors with 2 gaps, small pairs, and every Axs, but ArtySmokesPS corrected me saying that good SnG players start the game tight and becomes more agressive as the game progress, trying to introduce that in my game i changed my opening range for a tight one. but here is a problem.

This was the very first hand i was able to play in the SnG, if i am playing tight, i don't want to be passive and call out of position, so i decided to squeeze, and the CO shoves... i don't exactly remember my reads on him by the time, but i think he was playing many hands, question is, the squeeze is good? or should i just called? when i squeeze and the opp shoves, should i fold? if so... when do i play?

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are posting in the wrong section. This is the cash game section. SnGs go to Tournament section.

If the blinds are small and your squeeze is relatively small as well, personally I'd not call here due to being at early stages. Listen to what others have to say

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the initial stages of a tournament I try that these speculative hands or strong hands I try to go with caution since many will go all in easy

masterminsk

masterminsk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early stages i often go all in with AK, why not

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think you did the right thing. 3bet-fold is OK.
It's depends on opponent, if you have a story with player and he's shoving with whatever I think I would call AK, against other/unknown players I would call only with the best hands if we're talking about the 1st hand of the tournament.

S

SpeedBump621

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really depends on:
1) Any notes on your opponent? Looks like a pocket pair from a decent player or something as bad as AQ from a less experienced player

2) What is your stack size as compared to what's already in the pot? If A/K is 45% against most of the pairs you are raised all-in with then maybe it's worth calling if the pot is big enough

Really hard to know what to do unless u give us more info on stack sizes, starting pot size, type of opponents.