AK against an all-in in the first hands

WeAreHot777

WeAreHot777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's depends on what position you are, then if is starts of the tournament, then feel you can fold you hand to wait for better position.

R

rapione98

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK if off is all in, if suiter is raise.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If it is at the beginning at the tournament it is an easy fold, just it´s not worth it the chips value to risk your tourney life basic ICM learning :D

Iddm

Iddm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are times when we play poker tournaments and our first hand is AK and someone goes all-in playing before us, like you would play AK in the first hands of a tournament against an all-in from an opponent who has played before us. ?

Yeah thats a hard decision but learning how/when to fold is way harder then learning how to bet...
I would have to fold this one in slow torunaments and play it if I'm like in 1 minute blinds tournaments.
Also you have to consider how much did you spend as for buy-in and think how worth that money is for you.

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is a pure double or nothing but it's different if you bet or call

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have luck with this hand, but i think it's good moment to double up.
I prefer play with pair with few players (call before the flop), more chance to get set on the flop and earn some coins. I never call all in with AK at the start.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

i would go all in
allways a good hand to be played

rgds

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
AK is a drawing hand beaten by a lowly pair of twos. It is much more valuable when the blinds are larger, later in the tournament.
Do you want to risk all so early?

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would even in a $100 Tourney

Why? for the chance to WIN!

Both hands are great.

Thank you for listening!!

:)

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are times when we play poker tournaments and our first hand is AK and someone goes all-in playing before us, like you would play AK in the first hands of a tournament against an all-in from an opponent who has played before us. ?

I'm not a Howard Lederer fan, but he made a very good point: Why take the chance on going home early?

You have the rest of the tournament to get another good opportunity (which you will).

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Position, position position!

How many will still play after you? That is the question you have to ask before deciding whether to go all-in or not with AK in hand.
Imagine: if you are the button or the cutoff, you will probably enter the game against the villain alone. So AK is a very strong hand to despise. Even if, if you keep glowing with the action, you will not get very far in this tournament.
Now, if you are in the top positions, you can get tangled up with two or three in this all-in. So it is already something to consider better.
If others have entered the All-in it is also something to consider better. You will face more than one hand of aces or pairs. So run away while there is time.

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All in when I am short stack in tournament and pray it will hold.
I never all in AK early game

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
No, I would not call all in in my first hand with AK (I have only done it a couple of times in free tournaments), at that initial point you have no reading of your opponent, and you are starting a tournament, you should not risk everything like that from the beginning Unless you are not interested in the game or in the tournament, or the other option is that you see the future and know that you will win, but it is definitely not something that I personally would not do.

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on who i'm playing with (some friends love to bluff that first hand), and if it's 1vs1, but yeah i would do it at times

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it can depend..

AK vs all-in, first hand, I shove back if I feel lucky, things are going my way; I'm not afraid of losing. The expected return, on the first hand isn't the best, but you have to go for it, from time to time.
All the logical answers are correct, first hand isn't the time to shove, no big return, because no big stack to gain, when opponent loses to you. Most you can do is double your all-in amount.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can not believe this situation where we can go all in before an initial game because you could have two options or win or lose

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually play the AK strong, its a great hand and wins a lot!

bekbollkz

bekbollkz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, with AK I always go all-in. But sometimes you fail. It's okay, this is a game. But sometimes it happens that I quit.

LitPavel

LitPavel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If no one else calls it all in, then I'll go all in, otherwise I'll fold most of the time. Since if there are more than two players in the hand, there is a high probability that I will lose. Another aspect is that the opponent will have a ready-made pocket pair, which is also not very good, especially if it is AA.

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
There is no sense to go all in with AK in the first hands, if it is slow tournament with long late registration. But in hyper mode I will for sure. In slow tourney they call your AK with QQ+ and you have a big chance to lost it, so to be out from the good tourney at the beginning not so great idea.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands