AK against an all-in in the first hands

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, your average donk goes all like they're betting a blackjack hand so their a6 will beat your ak cause they don't use logic..

Dmitriy Mishin

Dmitriy Mishin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is important for me to understand what stage of the tournament, how many entered the drawing of the bank, whether I am in a position. AK's hand is good, but loves fewer players in the pot, ideally one on one.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

In alive game , where I have been able to analize the other player , a fold might be easy.
In an online tournament , specially low stakes, I would probably shove all the time.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the structure of the game. In games like 3 people SNG you start with 20BB. By all means go all in.

In freeroll or $3 or under micro. Go all in.

In low stake or above, you can fold it. What happens if you fold AK on the first hand. You lost 0 blinds. You stack is the same as as if you started 1 min later.

AK isn't a made hand. You are behind 22-AA and dominated by KK&AA while they are unlikely since you have blockers for those.

Here is a quick fact. In a 50 table tournament, on the first hand for everyone, there will be 4 tables with someone having either AA or KK.

Exactly. And if it's a rebuy that you can get back into, pull the trigger and call.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends. Like others have said if it is hyper yes all in.

Think about what the other person has. If this person open shoves with KK or AA, unless this is a hyper that people will call loose, shoving is not a good move. So your AK is a coinflip even against QQ. So I would go for it. I am looking to build a big stack early.

A large stack is very important in an MTT if you wanna go far. It's stating the obvious but it really is very important.

S

ssj3gokudbz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends a lot of the structure of the tournament and the field you are playing in .

Freewka6101129

Freewka6101129

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is not always the best card, do not forget that the opponent may have super premium hands, if you didn’t hit the flop, then you should throw it and forget this distribution

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are willing to make a reentry .. you always have to pay!
Ak is a strong hand .. he cannot bend for fear of falling.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are times when we play poker tournaments and our first hand is AK and someone goes all-in playing before us, like you would play AK in the first hands of a tournament against an all-in from an opponent who has played before us. ?

Depends on the buyin, the amount of big blinds, and the position of the shover

If it is a freeroll then I am almost certainly calling with AK. If however it is an event with a $5-10 buyin or greater and the player is shoving for over 60 blinds I may consider folding.

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to go all in with AK like that. I learnt my lesson. :D

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the importance of the tournament. Still from the place where you are sitting. In freerolls, I would answer with allah to allah. But it's better to throw it away.

CarlosLemarDixon

CarlosLemarDixon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is JUST A drawing hand 2/3 times you won't even hit the board. No worse felling that your AK getting beat by 6's in the very first hand.
I have been paying attention to the players to my left and right. Most of the time these players either have similar range to your hand or hold the cards that block you from making a better hand on future streets.
All in all I don't think any drawing hand is worth an All in more so early in the tournament.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have seen the villan shove in light with hands like AJ or if its a freeroll then I am calling the shove with AK.

M

Marcelobp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends of the tournaments. But i already fold several AK hands in first hand. I think that never i feel comfortable with my cash bank and with i always think that in a long run... you have more benefits to fold this AK in fisrt hand.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not an expert but I never fold AK to all in, i don't know if its even profitable to always go with AK. But micro stake there are a lot of fishes so i guess it isnt that bad call or shove.

K

kubistok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginnig of tournament I always fold.

J

Jusko1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually take a risk, because you can benefit a lot if you win for the rest of the tournament, and besides that with these cards your chances are big. If you lose just look it as bad luck and thats it

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually take a risk, because you can benefit a lot if you win for the rest of the tournament, and besides that with these cards your chances are big. If you lose just look it as bad luck and thats it

If it's a very strong hand I only fold it when there are several players all-in first than me.

brains12341

brains12341

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say it always depends on the format of the tournament. If its hyper tournament i will always call or even be aggressive and go all in Preflop with AK first hand especially if suited. If its a fast tourney, depending on the buy in, then i will know if its to play it or not. High stakes i fold it first hand, but average stakes that wont hurt me too much for losing i would call or go all in. If its a slow paced tournament, i would fold it. But in almost any hyper tournament i would go all in preflop on the first hand with it, they blinds raise too fast to not take advantage of a good hand and try to double up.Also it depends on position, if soneone went all in and 2 or more players called before me, even in hyper, i would fold. too many options for pockets preflop and opportunities to hit sets which could most likely kill my hand dead on the flop. but 1 on 1 i would make the call for sure in hyper.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
going to have to win a coin flip eventually

Beginning of tourney, if I have a premium hand: AA KK QQ, suited face cards, and someone goes all in in front of me, if you're playing to win, you shove back. If they win, so be it. You're going to have to win a coin flip somewhere in the tourney, might as well see if "it's your day" on the first hand.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we are talking about freerolls or cheap tournaments, then AK can be called, in other cases - easy fold.

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, with small buyin in the early part of the game, I will definitely play with him. However, when buying more than 100 US dollars, AK will only accept all in within 30BB. Otherwise, I will fold

M

Madragalahad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much advantage will there be in doubling or even tripling up first hand? It really depends on the size and structure of the MTT. If you're opting for a high-risk early game strategy, then by all means call. You'll need to continue playing loose aggressive if you want to build an early megastack. It's a great strategy for KO bounty tournaments, and one which. most decent players won't adopt which means you will have good opportunities to eliminate a lot of fish in the first three or four blind levels. As your stack increases, expand your range of starting hands. You won't have much to worry about until you start encountering other large stacks. If you're not going to play this way, calling all in with AK first hand is fairly pointless: you'll have better chances to grind your way through the tournament.

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much advantage will there be in doubling or even tripling up first hand? It really depends on the size and structure of the MTT. If you're opting for a high-risk early game strategy, then by all means call. You'll need to continue playing loose aggressive if you want to build an early megastack. It's a great strategy for KO bounty tournaments, and one which. most decent players won't adopt which means you will have good opportunities to eliminate a lot of fish in the first three or four blind levels. As your stack increases, expand your range of starting hands. You won't have much to worry about until you start encountering other large stacks. If you're not going to play this way, calling all in with AK first hand is fairly pointless: you'll have better chances to grind your way through the tournament.

Very good your advice thank you very much

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands