Aggressive or passive start online poker tournament?

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play first hands of an online, passive or aggressive multi-table poker tournament? only strong cards or do you include middle cards with which you can link flush or flush?

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We don’t wanna always bet. We don’t wanna always check. We wanna have some kind of a frequency.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s simple, if you have strong hands play them aggressive, if you don’t wait for strong hands. In the beginning of the tournament we always have someone who is in the rush, with a good holding you can easily double up your starting stack and then play little bit looser, but not much. So, in the beginning tight is right. Nobody wins tournament in the beginning, but there are to many people who lose it.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't describe my play as either passive or aggressive. I tend to play a little tighter at the beginning of a tournament, which means that I'm happy to fold a lot of speculative hands, especially early on when there tends to be a lot of loose players in the game that want to play every hand and try to see every flop. But, when I am dealt cards that I want to play, I tend to play them aggressively.

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s simple, if you have strong hands play them aggressive, if you don’t wait for strong hands. In the beginning of the tournament we always have someone who is in the rush, with a good holding you can easily double up your starting stack and then play little bit looser, but not much. So, in the beginning tight is right. Nobody wins tournament in the beginning, but there are to many people who lose it.

If it is true and many are left out in the first hands of tournaments because they throw everything very quickly.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a premium hand aggressively early in an mtt is a good plan. Just don't forget to factor in position, stack sizes, and whatever read you may have on other players. I often see players putting in a big raise pre-flop out of position. If everyone folds the blinds are so small the player makes little profit. When he is called, however, he often gets into trouble right away when he doesn't hit the flop but decides to keep betting. That's simply not understanding aggressive play. Making an initial 2-3 BB bet is not passive play but I think some players feel such pre-flop bets are a passive approach. The aggression usually comes later in a hand with good value bet sizing.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think the best choice is play tight in the beginning and playing looser as the tournament goes on. I always wait the maniacs kill themselves before being more aggressive.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
I suppose on the proposed scale I'd fall more in line of passive.

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It purely depends upon the type if the tourney. In an ST games and freerolls agression and speculation is must.
In normal games position and playing style is must.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it all depends on the table you're playing at

Aleksmy

Aleksmy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play aggressively at the beginning. To make everyone think I'm dangerous)

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play only with pairs and cards starting with Ace 10. In big tournaments often in the first minutes go all-in so I do not see the point go with the middle hands.

fantata666

fantata666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hey I'm aggressive hey passive depends on the cards the software gave me :)

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive and playing a lot of hands.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you play first hands of an online, passive or aggressive multi-table poker tournament? only strong cards or do you include middle cards with which you can link flush or flush?
Tight-aggressive style at an early stage is the key to success in tournament poker. Even the best players in the first blind levels play according to ABC poker strategy. To play in a tournament you need to think strategically. Do not risk your tournament life, double the stack at the first levels. Remember that prizes come only a few hours after the start of the tournament. You cannot win MTT in the first few banks, so it is useless to put your participation in the tournament at risk. If you win big banks at an early stage, then you have a slight advantage over the field, but if you overclock large banks and lose, then you will have a significant lag on the stack or even the danger of a crash

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The happy medium, not a binary choice

At start of tourney it's easier to be binary: 0 or 1, black or white; passive or aggressive.
That's one mindset to have, I'm either this or that. At beginning of tourney, I prefer to be in the middle: Passively Aggressive, if you don't hit a pocket pair, bet smart, and play the connectors and flush possibilities.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in the beginning i play with strong hands, or when i am in position but it is important and watch his opponents, as he plays and waits for the opportunity to increase his chips!

kacca

kacca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play aggressively at the beginning of the tournament and in 95% I multiply in the first 30 minutes by 2-3 times. Well then for some reason I stop playing

B

bekalion8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it depends on my mood)) mostly aggressive

O

ocl07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agressive with strong hands in each phase of the tournament - it's gold rule. In the middle and late phase lots of all-in in some situation not only with strong hands.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a passive player that only plays strong cards.

L

leonardo2251

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that you have to play it balanced, since you can get rid of any garbage and end up outside

sarvari_ati

sarvari_ati

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IF you have few payout positions and a lot of entrants it is worth playing aggressively and when you have four to five times as many chips as you need to slow down. Play thoughtfully and sensibly.

izmoroc

izmoroc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning it's better to play meduim aggressive: the vital goal is to get as much stack as possible, so better to raise less for other players to give more chips to You)

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Each player has his own strategy for starting a tournament - usually he is played at the beginning more tightly because of the large stack! But playing passively in any kind of poker is definitely the road to nowhere!