Advice for Super Loose & Splashy Live Tournaments: differences in culture and context

A

AD325

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Advice for Super Loose & Splashy Live Tournaments: differences in culture and context

Greetings Players,

I'm currently playing regular live tournament poker in Vietnam and have been thinking about strategy adjustments when it comes to the vast differences in playing style here as compared to the West.

A brief feel of what it's like here:

-$30-75 tournaments, unlim re-entry until level 10
- very common for ppl re-enter 4-5 times up to level 10 and jamming their way to the chip lead
- tons of limping especially in early stages
- preflop raises to 3x are treated as limps and can be expected to be called by the entire table
- often, big preflop hands are raised to 11-12x and still called by 4-5 players
- tons of gambling, i.e. trash hands entering the pot looking to hit the board and going all the way to a multiway all-in showdown (and getting there!)
- chasing 2-3 outers without batting an eye
- 3-bet bluffs and check raises don't generate folds
- 4-bets are almost always QQ+
- about 1/3 of any given table might be characterized as maniacs by western standards
- fundamentally sound players rarely have large chip stacks; here, it's all about luck-boxing your way to the win

I find that poker training content coming out of the west is suited to a more level-headed, tighter population, so it's been hard to implement here.

Are there any adjustments that can be made in such a context?
Should I just quit playing in these tourneys completely?
Could a case be made that GTO strategy should be adjusted according to the playing style of a given population?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sounds like a freeroll! Play them like it’s a freeroll and gamble with premium hands! Myself I wouldn’t play them!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Greetings Players,

I'm currently playing regular live tournament poker in Vietnam and have been thinking about strategy adjustments when it comes to the vast differences in playing style here as compared to the West.

A brief feel of what it's like here:

-$30-75 tournaments, unlim re-entry until level 10
- very common for ppl re-enter 4-5 times up to level 10 and jamming their way to the chip lead
- tons of limping especially in early stages
- preflop raises to 3x are treated as limps and can be expected to be called by the entire table
- often, big preflop hands are raised to 11-12x and still called by 4-5 players
- tons of gambling, i.e. trash hands entering the pot looking to hit the board and going all the way to a multiway all-in showdown (and getting there!)
- chasing 2-3 outers without batting an eye
- 3-bet bluffs and check raises don't generate folds
- 4-bets are almost always QQ+
- about 1/3 of any given table might be characterized as maniacs by western standards
- fundamentally sound players rarely have large chip stacks; here, it's all about luck-boxing your way to the win

I find that poker training content coming out of the west is suited to a more level-headed, tighter population, so it's been hard to implement here.

Are there any adjustments that can be made in such a context?
Should I just quit playing in these tourneys completely?
Could a case be made that GTO strategy should be adjusted according to the playing style of a given population?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Don't overthink this one. :)

Just wait for premium hands and jam pre. :)

This is basically what a good/fishy online MTT can be.

Never turn down playing in a game like this. ;)

Organize a Home Poker Game