Advice on moving up to higher buy ins for MTTs

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi you all. I wanted to get some advice from you all about moving up on the buy ins for bigger MTTs. Yesterday, I played a MTT with a $11 buy in, and I have not done that very much in my years of playing, because I've never had a BR to support the buy in. However, right now, I have the BR to do so another time or so. Ok here is the question. Should I move up a little more in the MTTs?. Say like $15 buy in. Or should I just stay at $11 or less? GL all

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi you all. I wanted to get some advice from you all about moving up on the buy ins for bigger MTTs. Yesterday, I played a MTT with a $11 buy in, and I have not done that very much in my years of playing, because I've never had a BR to support the buy in. However, right now, I have the BR to do so another time or so. Ok here is the question. Should I move up a little more in the MTTs?. Say like $15 buy in. Or should I just stay at $11 or less? GL all

Thank you for posting

It seems like you are shot taking as you stated "another time or so". If so the $11 or $15 does not matter what does matter is which of those are you most likely to cash in. That is done more often in smaller fields with weaker players.

Hope this helps
:):)

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
think you need to feel the game .If you're worried about $ 11, it's not a game.There are many ways to motivate yourself.I do not play expensive tournaments just because I have not yet found myself in the game as a professional.being at the stage of studying it is difficult to say what limits are available to you.Everything is shown by the practice of the game and your attitude.This is my opinion-maybe someone thinks differently.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
However, right now, I have the BR to do so another time or so.

Having a bankroll means, that you have enough money to play the same tournament or cash game over and over again indefinitely with a neglegible risk like for instance 1% of going broke due to variance. So if you only have money to play an 11$ or 15$ MTT "another time or so", then thats not really a bankroll, but more like a budget. And as far as playing with a budget, just do, what you can afford, and which gives you the most fun. Its mostly going to be luck, which determine, if you cash or not anyway.

With that being said, if you just expressed yourself poorly, and you now have a bankroll like say 2.000$, then I would recommend moving up one step at a time. So if you have previously been playing 1$ tournaments, then its best to spend at least a bit of time in 2-3$ tournaments before moving up further. If you have previously been playing 3-5$ tournaments, then 11-15$ is the next logical step, and its not like, there is a major difference between the two. poker site, tournament type and time of day and week will matter way more than, if the buyin is 11$ or 15$.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the great replies. I read them all. I'm going to take all your advice to the tables, starting tomorrow at SB, where the micro games are at form the 13th thru the 27th. They start at $1.20 buy in to $11 buy in. The GTDs range from $300 to $8000. I think these tournys will tell me more about my game. Thanks again you guys

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wanted to add, I'm not sure I'm ready for even $11 buy ins. The MTTs I just talked about, have only one with $11 buy in and it's later. By the time I get to it, my BR will support the buy in, or I won't play it. Thanks again

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management is key when it comes to moving up in stakes - thats a given and a very common factor most MTT poker enthusiasts are familiar with in general.

A few other factors that are often overlooked are good game selection and whether or not you are beating the stakes you are currently playing at.

I'm still pretty much a low stakes grinder currently only playing games $16.50 and under - but when I was coming up through the micros and I finally was rolled to play $6.60 games - I went on a heater and won about $2.2k in one month - which was great but at the same time I had only just began playing at my $6 stakes and so I moved up a little too soon - fired a little too hard and lost a portion of those winning over the next month or two - I was doing well in the $6 buy ins but I wasn't crushing them - so I decided to keep my max buy in there for a while, and so I did and once I was comfortably crushing those stakes I hopped back up to $11s and havnt looked back since. So you want to be sure you are crushing your current stakes - the $11s are plenty beatable but you will also find a decent amount of capable players in those fields who put in alot of time and work on their game - so if you aren't on their level, you are going to have a hard time competing in their fields.

Bottom line is - use your tracker program, look over your results, ensure that you are playing a good strategy and are beating the stakes you currently frequent before you jump up to the next level - even if you are properly rolled.

The second thing I mentioned was good game selection. Chasing the dream is all fine and dandy - but an $11 5k GTD is going to be much easier to win than an $11 15k GTD simply because of the player field size - its simply less variance involved in smaller fields - so when we know we have an edge over the majority of our field (this refers back to ensuring we are crushing previous stakes) - its easier for us to see a definitive ROI in smaller fields than it is in larger fields. In summary - its easier to win in a field of 400 than it is to win in a field of 1200 - its just math, we are going to be playing more hands overall and will be involved in many more all in scenarios in larger fields - thus exposing ourselves to more variance. Its just math. So what I am saying is look for smaller fields with a good payout for your time and effort. Its better to win $600‐$800 a few times a month rather than chase the dream of that $3k score in a massive field.

For me I play alot of 1k and 2k GTDs for $6 or so and then once or twice a month I fire the ACR $6.60 25k GTD that runs on Sundays - I fire it because I enjoy the challenge of the marathon, and even tho I would love to win that thing just once, I don't expect to win it often. I know the odds are very slim simply because the field is so massive - so I just enjoy the challenge of the marathon more than getting stressed out over busting after 9 hours or so and not winning tournament.

Anyhow, to conclude - use your head, be smart about game selection, practice good BRM and make sure you are beating your current stakes before you hop up. Following these general guidelines should be more than enough for you to move forward. Good luck in your games.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the great replies. I read them all. I'm going to take all your advice to the tables, starting tomorrow at SB, where the micro games are at form the 13th thru the 27th. They start at $1.20 buy in to $11 buy in. The GTDs range from $300 to $8000. I think these tournys will tell me more about my game. Thanks again you guys

Good luck in the Micro Series. :)

If you see Mr. Tao Jones or Jbillie around...beware. ;)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you ever want some serious advice on how to climb the MTT limits let me know.

I've played them all. ;)

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies. For now I'm still staying at 10nl, but once in awhile I'm going to try 25nl. That depends on how it goes at 10nl. I mean if I win or not. GL. Oh and thanks for the offer jordanbillie. I may take you up on that.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

There is no difference in the game from $ 11 to $ 22. If the game goes well the game will go a little higher too ...

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should go for it why not but try to keep a balance between both buy ins levels so you won't bust too fast...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bottom line is - use your tracker program, look over your results, ensure that you are playing a good strategy and are beating the stakes you currently frequent before you jump up to the next level - even if you are properly rolled.

Largely agree with this, however the point about "being sure your beat XX stakes" can be a bit challenging with MTTs, because we usually play a mixture of games. And for that reason our sample size in each one is usually always so small, that variance is still a major factor, when we break our results down to specific tournament buyins or even game formats like PKOs vs. regular MTTs and so on and so forth.

So for me it makes more sense to simply look at, if the games seem good. If you want to try a tournament with a slightly higher buyin than those, you normally play, then just simply play it a few times and see, who you meet at the tables. If there are some huge fish, then its probably going to be +EV for you to play that tournament, even though you wont know with 100% certainty, until you played a tousind or more of them. It is after all still poker, even though you are now playing for slightly more money.

But if on the other hand you mainly find solid regulars at the higher limit, then chances are, its not going to be +EV for you to play those tournaments, or at least your hourly winrate will probably not be higher than in a softer lower buyin tournament. And in that case there is not much point in moving up, unless you specifically want to test yourself and try to take your game to the next level.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. I read them all. Well I sure ain't going to move up, because I've had some bad days. I'm not one to blame any one or anything for my losses. It's all me. Here is my plan for now. I will be playing one low buyin MTT a day. Win, lose, or draw, I will not be changing up for awhile. Also, I will be playing at the Boost Bad Beat Jackpot tables on SB for awhile too. I tried playing it yesterday, and it's good because you can fast fold, and pick and choose what hands you want to play. And there is one more good thing. From what I've seen, some players are still playing off the wall hands. Anyway, that's it for now. GL you all

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. I read them all. Well I sure ain't going to move up, because I've had some bad days. I'm not one to blame any one or anything for my losses. It's all me. Here is my plan for now. I will be playing one low buyin MTT a day. Win, lose, or draw, I will not be changing up for awhile. Also, I will be playing at the Boost Bad Beat Jackpot tables on SB for awhile too. I tried playing it yesterday, and it's good because you can fast fold, and pick and choose what hands you want to play. And there is one more good thing. From what I've seen, some players are still playing off the wall hands. Anyway, that's it for now. GL you all

If you are playing 1 MTT per day and some boost hands, you better be opting in to the 'Missions Grinders' contest!!!

You get entered into a $1,000 All-in Shootout every night.

I hope you haven't been missing out!!!

(EDIT) I looked you up on sharkscope and it appears you are not taking advantage of the $1,000 freerolls every night in June. Go to your contests/missions in the SportsBetting lobby and 'Opt In' to the daily 'Mission Grinders' missions.

For example, today's mission is:

Play 1 MTT
Play 35 Hands of Holdem
Play 10 Hands of PLO.

That's it!

Last edited:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also, if you are playing on SportsBetting, try the $1 R/A MTTs during the day.

They have small fields, are very soft, and provide excellent final table experience. :)

GL, hopefully I'll start seeing you on the $1 R/A FTs! :)

V

vladikov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I went through the levels with a goal setting of over 50% based on 1000 cash tournament

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I took a jump up this year to the $6.60 and a $22.00 but in. The game had many of the same type of players but in the higher game there were a lot less fish. IN my 2nd $6.60 game I got a really nice stack built up. As we got deeper in the tournament the amount of normal buy ins that cash would bring started to make me think of laddering up. The amount were small to the buy in but to my normal game much bigger. You need to make sure you play your game and not make errors like this. If you jump tofast you will start to think about it.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to be sure that you are a winning player now, that is, you need to beat your limit. Very often, students ask me and other coaches a similar question. If there are a lot of weak players playing at my limit, can I go up a higher limit, where people play better and where my bets and raises will work better, because there my results will be better? And now I want to tell you that most likely it will not be so. If you cannot beat your current limit right now, if you think that this is happening because of a bad game, and that you will do better at a higher limit, then most likely you are mistaken.The key is that you must have enough buy-ins for the game you are currently playing. I will not go into this issue in great detail now, because the specific number of buy-ins depends on many factors, for example, how aggressive the game is and how big an advantage you have over other players.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. I been doing some stupid crap here lately, and I'm headed down real fast. All I have left is a little over my deposit. I have to slow down, and play my game as I was in the past. Anyway, GL to you all

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. I been doing some stupid crap here lately, and I'm headed down real fast. All I have left is a little over my deposit. I have to slow down, and play my game as I was in the past. Anyway, GL to you all

Uh oh...

High limit cash?

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply jordanbillie. No I've not moved up at all. My problem now is rolling the dice. And I've been playing the Boost game on SB. Now everything seems to be real slow. I guess my patients has gone away. If I every get the money to make a deposit on ACR maybe that will slow me down. GL to you

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the reply jordanbillie. No I've not moved up at all. My problem now is rolling the dice. And I've been playing the Boost game on SB. Now everything seems to be real slow. I guess my patients has gone away. If I every get the money to make a deposit on ACR maybe that will slow me down. GL to you

I would highly advise AGAINST playing Boost. Like I said, check out the missions!!! You literally get entered into a $1,000 freeroll every night! I've made about $400 so far from these freerolls.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
once I was comfortable playing the 5 dollar tournaments and placing all the time I moved to the 10 dollar ones, once you get comfortable there and become a winner move up to $15 and $20 tournaments, if you are a winner in the $10's you should eventually build a bankroll for the $20s and so forth. another thing to consider is value guarantee prizes for your buy in. so always take advantage if you have the energy to play poker.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would highly advise AGAINST playing Boost. Like I said, check out the missions!!! You literally get entered into a $1,000 freeroll every night! I've made about $400 so far from these freerolls.

Hay again jordanbillie. I sent you a message. Did you get it? Anyway, what site are those freerolls on? I will try them.