Adjust ranges against loose players

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! I have a doubt. Assuming we are in a tournament against a very loose player, who opens 50% of his hands but only 5% raising, What would be the optimal line to face it, whether he is on our left or on our right?
I should be willing to expand all my ranges against him, call, 3bet and even all-in, or on the contrary, be tight and wait for a premium to catch his chips?
Other data: sample of 200-300 hands. Intermediate stage, average chips 40bb and you and your opponent have the same stack. He makes Cbet flop always and turn almost always.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! I have a doubt. Assuming we are in a tournament against a very loose player, who opens 50% of his hands but only 5% raising, What would be the optimal line to face it, whether he is on our left or on our right?
I should be willing to expand all my ranges against him, call, 3bet and even all-in, or on the contrary, be tight and wait for a premium to catch his chips?
Other data: sample of 200-300 hands. Intermediate stage, average chips 40bb and you and your opponent have the same stack. He makes Cbet flop always and turn almost always.

Thank U 4 Posting.

When we are thinking about our preflop ranges we have to remember that there are 3 more streets to deal with.

We cannot just widen our range and not think about how to refine it on each street.
So yes we do widen our ranges but we would widen it to hands that dominate this villains range.

If villain is raising K7 we do not play K6-K2 we play K9 and above.
If villain is raising 7c6c we play all Axc Kxc Qxc. Then when the flop is low we are very careful.

Hope this helps.
:):)

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't change the preflop ranges too much.
You can open a bit wider, so if you normally are opening 15% you can open 20% vs them.
The main exploit vs loose players is to get value from them, so upsize your 3bets/4bets and bet a larger percentage of pot on all the streets postflop when you are betting for value.
Loose players love hero calling and chasing draws, make them pay as much as they are willing to.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If he’s on your right: Take most hand you would raise anyway, and iso-raise them to around 4bb when this player limps so you get involved in a lot of pots against him. Be very tight when he makes one of his 5% raises.

If he’s on your left: Play tighter out of position given he’ll call a lot of your raises. With any hand close to the bottom of your range, fold instead. Then you’ll have higher equity against a weak opponent which should more than compensate for being out of position [emoji106]

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he’s on your right: Take most hand you would raise anyway, and iso-raise them to around 4bb when this player limps so you get involved in a lot of pots against him. Be very tight when he makes one of his 5% raises.

If he’s on your left: Play tighter out of position given he’ll call a lot of your raises. With any hand close to the bottom of your range, fold instead. Then you’ll have higher equity against a weak opponent which should more than compensate for being out of position [emoji106]

Absolutely agree. If you are deep stacked, A 50/5 limping can almost be an extra incentive to enter a pot, because they are usually very bad after the flop as well. If stacks are shallow, you need to be a little more carefull, because you dont want to put in 4BB and then have to fold to a rejam, if there are aggressive players behind.

As for being out of position against a calling station, if your stack size is close between min-raising and open jamming, then open jam, since this is one of the few things, that can get them to back down. It can also be great to open jam against multible limpers, since their range is usually capped. This mean, that you can essentially treat a hand like AJ as the nuts and go completely crazy for 20+ BB, if you are last to act. The worst, that will usually happen, is, that someone call with 77, and you play a flip.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely agree. If you are deep stacked, A 50/5 limping can almost be an extra incentive to enter a pot, because they are usually very bad after the flop as well. If stacks are shallow, you need to be a little more carefull, because you dont want to put in 4BB and then have to fold to a rejam, if there are aggressive players behind.

As for being out of position against a calling station, if your stack size is close between min-raising and open jamming, then open jam, since this is one of the few things, that can get them to back down. It can also be great to open jam against multible limpers, since their range is usually capped. This mean, that you can essentially treat a hand like AJ as the nuts and go completely crazy for 20+ BB, if you are last to act. The worst, that will usually happen, is, that someone call with 77, and you play a flip.

Actually the worst would be if someone calls you with a dominating ace A/Q and another caller calls with a medium pocket pair. With stations that situation does occurs periodically.
However I do agree - the best way to combat those - are to shove often with strong playable hands.