ACR Tournament Hand Review

MrDuke76

MrDuke76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played a tourney a while back and a hand stands out in my mind since it was the hand that busted me out. I want to review it and see what u guys think and see what I could’ve done differently to change the outcome. I think I know what I should’ve done but curious what others may have done differently.

Ok $10 tourney 12 min blinds currently at level 7 or 8 so still pretty early. I’m in BB with an below average stack. Starting stack 5K and I have about 8K after losing a hand (was at around 12k). Blinds were I think 125/250 or something. A loose passive player min raises to 500 from early position. Everyone folds to me in the BB and I call the min raise with J8s diamonds. Flop comes 10c4h2d. I check and player B checks behind. Turn comes 5d giving me a flush draw. I bet out a semi bluff of 700 and player B calls. River comes 7d giving me J high flush. I bet out around 1200 and player B immediately goes all in with him covering me. I think for about 4 seconds and call. Player B shows Q9d besting my J high flush with a Q high flush. Out of the tourney...

What I think I should’ve done was bet out on the flop about a 1/3 pot bet making him think I hit top pair possibly causing him to fold right then n there. If he would’ve called the flop bet (with nothing but 1 over and a back door flush draw) I would CB the turn applying max pressure on him maybe getting him to fold there as well. My bet on the turn was too low and an easy call for him allowing him to get to river cheaply.

What do u guys think???

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont hate the idea of a donk bet on the flop as long as its at least a third pot.

I am not crazy about barrelling off a second or third bet from out of the blinds.

I think by betting the turn you are bloating the pot from a disadvantageous spot. You might actually gain more info by checking it.

A passive player is likely to check back the turn if on a flush draw. At least then you could gauge where he is at without risking a lot of chips from out of position.

His range if on that draw is likely ahead of your range. If he fires a largish bet on the river you could better be able to get away from that hand with minor damage. Just my two cents. I hope it helps.

Last edited:
MrDuke76

MrDuke76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahh I should’ve checked the turn. Keeping pot size lower as well. Makes sense.

MrDuke76

MrDuke76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry I posted this in the wrong category and reposted in the correct category. Can a moderator please delete this post?

S

satyika34

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahh I should’ve checked the turn.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Double barrel FTW ~ Maybe

I dont hate the idea of a donk bet on the flop as long as its at least a third pot.

I think by betting the turn you are bloating the pot from a disadvantageous spot. You might actually gain more info by checking it.

A passive player is likely to check back the turn if on a flush draw. At least then you could gauge where he is at without risking a lot of chips from out of position.

His range if on that draw is likely ahead of your range. If he fires a largish bet on the river you could better be able to get away from that hand with minor damage. Just my two cents. I hope it helps.

I pretty much agree with your entire post, but if Hero is going to be bluffing this right out of the gate, on the flop, the only way to win it is to double barrel the turn, continue the story and make it too expensive on the turn for Villain to call.
Unfortunately we have the outcome of the hand so it's a little easier to state - after the fact, but their are numerous hands won form BB that are total air double barrel bluffs. The holdings of EP player are never revealed - because they folded and we get the double barrel through.

If the player is sticky with a flush draw, that is useful information for later events when you encounter Villain again.

The less aggressive approach is exactly what ChickenArise stated, but it relies on cards improving our holdings, and in the end, that happened and we were beat.

The river call - that's a tough call - I think you made the right decision, although I think I may have folded their. J high flush is marginal at best. By folding we live to see another day, but we may have been able to win the pot prior to the river if we continued the story. Maybe ~ tough spot.
Thanks for sharing.

A

Aslama01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hes loose passive but still opens. Take note, probably not complete trash hand. I dont mind defending the bb here, but why do anything post flop. There is no reason to donk the flop as you said this dude was passive and raised pre. Sure he might have AK or down to AJs. But is he gonna fold? Doubt it. I think check fold is proper on the flop as at that point it's unlikely you'll hit anything.

On the turn you pick up a flush draw. Now theres a straight draw out there as well. Lots of suited diamonds and Ax suited image in his range. Therefore, I dont think a bet is gonna push him out. Might as well hope for a check back to pick up the diamond and plan on check calling the river to give his bluffs a chance. If you are gonna bet out, I think 975-1100 is probably gonna have a better chance of working.

So now the river comes diving the backdoor flush. If my math is correct, you're betting 1200 into around 2600. So in review. We have a loos passive player raising EP. Checking the flop. Calling the turn, and jamming the river. I mean. Aside from flushes what is he gonna jam here? A3os? No way he'd call and let you draw for the flush as played so far. All sets except for 7s are likely gomna be playing a little more aggressively against the bb on a low board. I think as played, hell call with worse hands and only shove with better hands. i think if you check however, it could give his bluffs, sets, and maybe even a straight a chance to bet at it. therefote, i think check calling is or bet folding is the proper play here.

MrDuke76

MrDuke76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hes loose passive but still opens. Take note, probably not complete trash hand. I dont mind defending the bb here, but why do anything post flop. There is no reason to donk the flop as you said this dude was passive and raised pre. Sure he might have AK or down to AJs. But is he gonna fold? Doubt it. I think check fold is proper on the flop as at that point it's unlikely you'll hit anything.

On the turn you pick up a flush draw. Now theres a straight draw out there as well. Lots of suited diamonds and Ax suited image in his range. Therefore, I dont think a bet is gonna push him out. Might as well hope for a check back to pick up the diamond and plan on check calling the river to give his bluffs a chance. If you are gonna bet out, I think 975-1100 is probably gonna have a better chance of working.

So now the river comes diving the backdoor flush. If my math is correct, you're betting 1200 into around 2600. So in review. We have a loos passive player raising EP. Checking the flop. Calling the turn, and jamming the river. I mean. Aside from flushes what is he gonna jam here? A3os? No way he'd call and let you draw for the flush as played so far. All sets except for 7s are likely gomna be playing a little more aggressively against the bb on a low board. I think as played, hell call with worse hands and only shove with better hands. i think if you check however, it could give his bluffs, sets, and maybe even a straight a chance to bet at it. therefote, i think check calling is or bet folding is the proper play here.

Thank you very informative

I

Index12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would a set of 7s be played passively?

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You basically had tunnel vision with your flush, making you blind to the obvious. You always have to ask yourself: in the long range, how many times will I be ahead against a shove when I bet on a flush board?

Like others have said, he is going to call with a small flush, or any two pair or sets. I'm fairly surprised he chose to jam the Q-high flush for exactly the same reasons.

Next time post your hand without the outcome. It will usually be a better discussion.

A

Aslama01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would a set of 7s be played passively?

Because they would have been hit on the river. He could be betting earlier as well, but my point was more that the other sets would have been playing more aggressive earlier on.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands