5) Final table

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning, I would be careful, and just go with a 3x bb. Beginning tournaments are usually "all-in fests", and if you do that (like many do), you're going to get burned by a "luck-out".

I'm not a fan of Howard Lederer, but he makes a very good point: "There's a lot of tournament left....Why put yourself out?"

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your opening size is dependent on your stack size and the stack size of the opponents behind you, your starting hand is irrelevant. You shouldn't be catering your bet size to your hand

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

I do not understand the question well, it depends, I think at the beginning of the tournament, greetings ...

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Standard raise, see what happens, with one person re-raising it's a 4 bet, in a freeroll with lots of all in I call for sure.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
in utg i always limp aces , if you don't agree i can understand that , but this is my play :)

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always make a standard raise of 2-2.5bb, except when I am short stacked, then all in

D

Dandadandan

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You get AA on UTG.

You have an average stack.

What raise do you play:

1) In the beginning of tournament

2) In the middle

3) On the bubble

4) ITM

5) Final table

I tend to min-raise in all instances if I'm first in the pot. If you vary your opening depending on your hand you're adding to the information you give your opponents I think. Unless there was someone sitting out on the big blind, then I might shove all-in to make ppl think I'm stealing.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
On UTG, i would limp with a third of my hands with AA (AhAd and AsAc). If the stack is 13BB or less, then just all-in...

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At full 9max table you don't want to create multiway pot, so 2.5bb-3bb. Pretty hands will call anyway.
If there only 4 or less ppl left, well... there is no more UTG lol! 2bb, you wouldn't mind a call or two.

S

shopwert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In every case I’ll make a bet that will get me exactly one caller. By betting large, I can knock out all the junk hands and be playing against other premium hands. I’ll have to guess at the amount but the idea is to win chips with the best starting hand in poker.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You do not want to overplay your hand and I would probably make a standard 3- 3.5x raise here. However, everyone is looking to crack your aces with a set. You need to deny others the implied odds to do so, so If you can bet 1/5 to 1/6 of others stacks you can profitably jam the flop as it is incorrect for them to call. This is easier to do later in a tournament.

You can also do this in the early stages. For example if it's the first hand and everyone has 1500 in chips, you can bet 275-300. You may in fact get called with hands like AQ, KQs or smaller pairs. It is incorrect anyone to make a call here and you can confidently jam the flop. You will often just win the blinds, but this helps to avoid tough decisions later on with a hand that can be difficult to let go. You may also get called with straight or flush draws or they may jam these draws and this is a great way to get all in as a huge favorite.

To make a pot sized bet on the flop, turn, and river only to get jammed- this is the wrong way to play.

*Edit- I will almost never limp here, unless I am confident a short stack will shove my limp, but his is risky when everyone limps after you and you will be kicking yourself.

S

SheldonMS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a full table, without thinking about the stacks of other players at the table.
1, 2, 3 raise to 2x, on ITM allin and on FT 2x

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You get AA on UTG.

You have an average stack.

What raise do you play:

1) In the beginning of tournament

2) In the middle

3) On the bubble

4) ITM

5) Final table
No need to create unnecessary problems for yourself) raised aces / kings - everyone folded - well, okay, more will come. If you limp, there is a chance that a couple of fish and regs with all sorts of pockets and connectors will also limp into the bank, then you will suffer with aces / kings on the flop if the action spins. The limp / raise is pretty obvious - if it hits the flop then your overpair will be pretty obvious ... + you raise not only premium hands from utg (I personally also have AQ and small pockets) at the same time balancing your actions ... well, to this it is worth adding that it is better to use the same size of bets at all stages so as not to fire your hand