50 players remaining but Have to leave-- what to do??

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Pals,
What to do when we are in the last phase of a tournament with a good stack but have to leave a tournament because of some serious obligations??

Sit out and get as far as we can.

Go All ins to have a massive stack, so that we can get a decent pay out.

Note- I had to leave a freeroll tourney when only 45 players remained.
Got 21th position in the end..

Last edited by a moderator:
terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would push hard to get a massive stack or bust-out trying.:secruity: I would hate to come back and just miss the $$$,,,,:eek:

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I also had such moments, but I always try to continue the game on a smartphone or on a tablet. If you know that you may have to quit the game then you do not need to start playing.

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i really cant stay i usually try to play agressive and get big stack so i can get decent pay out if i fail its fine because anyway i had to go

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Pals,
What to do when we are in the last phase of a tournament with a good stack but have to leave a tournament because of some serious obligations??

Sit out and get as far as we can.

Go All ins to have a massive stack, so that we can get a decent pay out.

Note- I had to leave a freeroll tourney when only 45 players remained.
Got 21th position in the end..
The only question I have is ……….WHY?
Knowing you had obligations before you stated the tournament, why did you waste you money in entering it is the first place?

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Doing the best to have as big stack as you can and sit out. You never know maybe you return! If not you finish to a good position sitting out!

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the times when I was in a situation like yours I went allin with speculative hands to acquire a reasonable amount of chips and left sittingout to get as far as possible at the awards or else I was sitting straight away, sometimes I had to go back in time to continue the game, other times I ended up losing before the ITM.

I've never heard of any rule of etiquette in poker referring to what to do in this situation.

I think it would be better to sit out, since you were in a good position and would definitely reach the ITM, trying to increase the chips to stay alive longer could quickly cause you to lose the tournament and not even get the lowest prizes .

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd jam with better hands or sit-out with miserable ones. The problem is the miserable ones often win and the better ones often lose. Tougher decision than it seems at first glance.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you got away from the table, it's better to do so...

S

StatusOmega525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably wouldn't start a tourney if I knew I didn't have time to make it through with some leeway, but it's also possible that things come up after you start, and I can easily sympathize with that. I would probably open up my risk range and push for the biggest stack possible and hope it carries me far enough to make some return on it. Personally hope never to have to find out, though.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It depends on how deep the money bubble is. If it is deep then blind yourself out of the tournament. If it is a small bubble than push all in.

xkenjix

xkenjix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if i had a big stack, id sit out until i could come back or try and make it as far as we can till we get blinded out, if im short, just shove atc

Nelson1712

Nelson1712

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best thing was what you did, stay away friend, no way, there was no alternative