• Thread starter floppymcflopperson
  • Start date
F

floppymcflopperson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just took 8th in a 520 player field today and I didnt feel like I made too many mistakes overall. This one hand had me thinking tho. So blinds are 2500/5000 500 antes and I'm in MP1 with 33 on 22bb with about 30 players left. These guys have been fairly active but at the same time I got a walk two times in the past two orbits so I can sense some tight play and felt like folding here was too nitty. It folds to me and I min raise. Sometimes I like to just call in these spots to set mine because I'm not calling a shove or 3bet with such a weak hand, but I could potentially overcall if the pot builds and I get insane implied odds to call a 2-2.5x raise in a multiway pot. Anyways, so I min and it folds to the bb who has like 60 bb and he 3x 3bets me and I folded.... What a waste of 10,000 chips. Is this a bit too spewy or does just limp/overcalling have a +EV as opposed to just raise folding? How would you approach this spot?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raising is fine, but perhaps folding smaller pairs here and raising with hands such as 76s or opening up your range of hands that have more flopability is a better idea. The thing is, when we open our 33 here, we're basically trying to represent a bigger hand than we have, so it's a bluff essentially and the thing is 33 plays pretty horribly postflop with onlly 22 bb, and with players that are active, we're probably not getting a raise through that often.

so while i think it's ok to raise this hand here, perhaps think a bit more about folding these smaller pairs, BUT, opening up your range more with more middling hands that can hit flops and big draws, like your 76s and such. You don't want to be opening up more with the higher broadway hands due to the fact we will be getting dominated more often.

But it's not a waste of chips unless your raise preflop does not get enough folds. So if you are on a really active table, and your raise won't get through very often, then it might be a waste of chips. But on a tighter table, our raise will work often enough and it's just unfortunate that we got 3bet.

Limping here won't show a positive EV, we're simply too short to setmine and we will be just giving away chips if someone raises us preflop.

F

floppymcflopperson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point. Yeah not a big enough stack to set mine. I def dont open from early pos. with crappy broadway stuff as often as I used to and its been nice lol. The reverse implied odds have punished me enough. Yeah overall I think it was ok to open due to the table dynamic but the 3bet was just unfortunate. Thanks for the input.