1500gtd Late Stage & Final 4/3/2 Tables

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was going to put this in hand analysis - but I thought there was a bit too much info - so I went ahead and placed it here in the main tourney thread.

Hey All.

Thought I'd get some input on a series of hands I played, and some dynamics of the late stage of a 1500gtd.

This event runs for 4 hours of late registration. 30, eight minute levels.

I was running roughly in the top 50 in chips, soon after ITM, with about 45bb, when a short stack open shoves about 15bb from UTG, the CO player who has 40bb total, calls the open shove - and I'm sitting in the big blind with KKs.

I elected to min-raise the open jam because I thought the CO player would fold if I over-jammed, but I didn't want him to get an easy look at the flop without having to make a decision. So I bumped it up to 30, leaving myself only 15bb behind, which is kind of silly in hind-sight, but I figured if the CO player called and the board runout was unfavorable I could possibly get away and still have life left in the event.
I wasn't really thinking about that though - I had my eyes clearly set on doubling up here, and thought the UTG opener might possibly have blockers to the CO players hand, so I was pretty confident about this spot. And I have KKs - so I'm just looking to dodge those dreaded Aces.
As it was - I didn't have to worry about any of that postflop play non-sense because the CO player chose to jam over my min-raise and I gladly called.
UTG player turns over A/Q off.
CO player turns over 88.
I have KK.

The Ace of course hits the flop but I hit my set on the turn giving me a top 15 chip stack, with about 100bb.

About 2 hands later a new player joins my table. I have never played with this player before but I notice right away he has a high aggression level. He is 3betting nearly every hand, and taking down pots uncontested on the flop, and he is also overbet jamming to any 3bet to his opens. Very active, he has played about 75% of hands - in the last 2 orbits, and wants to win preflop or on the flop, has not gone to showdown once.

And then a grand opportunity presents itself, I pick up QQ on the button, with this aggressive player opening for 3.5x from the LJ position (UTG+3?)
I elect to 3bet because I'm pretty sure I'm ahead of a player who is playing LAG with a 75 VPIP, even though it is a super small sample size - I'm certain I'm either way ahead, or will be playing against some strong suited Ace type hand.
I 3bet to 12bb - and I have roughly 80bb behind.
Oh I forgot to mention - this LAG player has me covered by 3bb. And he elects to overbet jam to my 3bet, just like he had done to two or three previous players who had 3bet him.
The difference here - I'm not playing to min-cash and I'm pretty confident I have the best hand - so I say - this will give me a monster stack - or bust me out and I made the call.
LAG player turns over JJ
Flop is KQJ turn x river x. I have nearly 200bb and a top 3 chip stack.

And now I go card dead.
I think I played four total hands in more than an hour. Three hands were from the big blind where their were several open and calls to a min-raise, and I'm sitting in the big blind with something playable buy weak, like 7/4 suited, or something like that. I never even continue past the flop. I win one hand uncontested when I 3 bet a button open as a bluff, and luckily he insta folds.
After that I do not play one single hand - I don't even pick up any good bluffing hands, just total crapola for over an hour.

I fold for over an hour - all the way into the final 4 tables.
I go from a top 3 chip stack down to 18th out of 32 players left. And I continue to fold and fold and fold - their is just too much preflop action - shoves and 3bet, 4bet shoves, and I have nothing to play.

I continue to fold down to the final 3 tables.
I have chipped all the way down to 14bb total. And I pick up a rush of cards.
UTG min-opens, bb calls and I jam A/K suited from the SB. All fold.
Very next hand MP min-raises CO calls and I open jam QQ on the button, all fold.

Very next hand UTG+1 min-opens, MP calls I 3bet KK to 3.5, UTG+1 4bet jams having both myself and MP covered, MP with about 12bb calls and I call.
UTG+1 turns over A/Q off, CO turns over 55, and my KKs hold.

The very next hand I stack another short stack with A/K flopping top 2 vs a player who thought top pair Queen kicker was the nuts. But to his credit - a paired Ace is pretty much the nuts with only 12bb.

Now I'm sitting pretty in 4th place with about 55?-ish bb.

We finally lose another player and we are now down to 2 tables.

I fold for about 3 orbits when I pick up A/J suited in the big blind.
I have about 50big blinds and a player with 19bb open jams all fold - and I made the call here. He turns over A/Q - I flop top pair top kicker and the river gives him the better hand.

I waffled about making this call - and I certainly miscalculated the equity I had.
I thought I was about break even with this call, but after studying I see vs a 10% shoving range - which is what I put him on I'm a dog a 45%.

I made another call with A/K vs a open jam from HJ - he ended up having 88s and his hand held. Dropped me down to under 6bb. I then jammed A/9 suited with 4.5bb and was crushed by KKs.

Just wondering - and second guessing myself about the A/J suited hand. I'm pretty certain I was headed for the final table prior to that hand.
I fold the A/J - still make the A/K call, and I'm still sitting with a 15-20bb stack, still in the event, waiting to pick up some solid hands to collect chips with.

Anyway - thanks for reading - and now you can see why I didn't put this in the hand analysis section.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was going to put this in hand analysis - but I thought there was a bit too much info - so I went ahead and placed it here in the main tourney thread.

Hey All.

Thought I'd get some input on a series of hands I played, and some dynamics of the late stage of a 1500gtd.

This event runs for 4 hours of late registration. 30, eight minute levels.

I was running roughly in the top 50 in chips, soon after ITM, with about 45bb, when a short stack open shoves about 15bb from UTG, the CO player who has 40bb total, calls the open shove - and I'm sitting in the big blind with KKs.

I elected to min-raise the open jam because I thought the CO player would fold if I over-jammed, but I didn't want him to get an easy look at the flop without having to make a decision. So I bumped it up to 30, leaving myself only 15bb behind, which is kind of silly in hind-sight, but I figured if the CO player called and the board runout was unfavorable I could possibly get away and still have life left in the event.
I wasn't really thinking about that though - I had my eyes clearly set on doubling up here, and thought the UTG opener might possibly have blockers to the CO players hand, so I was pretty confident about this spot. And I have KKs - so I'm just looking to dodge those dreaded Aces.
As it was - I didn't have to worry about any of that postflop play non-sense because the CO player chose to jam over my min-raise and I gladly called.
UTG player turns over A/Q off.
CO player turns over 88.
I have KK.

The Ace of course hits the flop but I hit my set on the turn giving me a top 15 chip stack, with about 100bb.

About 2 hands later a new player joins my table. I have never played with this player before but I notice right away he has a high aggression level. He is 3betting nearly every hand, and taking down pots uncontested on the flop, and he is also overbet jamming to any 3bet to his opens. Very active, he has played about 75% of hands - in the last 2 orbits, and wants to win preflop or on the flop, has not gone to showdown once.

And then a grand opportunity presents itself, I pick up QQ on the button, with this aggressive player opening for 3.5x from the LJ position (UTG+3?)
I elect to 3bet because I'm pretty sure I'm ahead of a player who is playing LAG with a 75 VPIP, even though it is a super small sample size - I'm certain I'm either way ahead, or will be playing against some strong suited Ace type hand.
I 3bet to 12bb - and I have roughly 80bb behind.
Oh I forgot to mention - this LAG player has me covered by 3bb. And he elects to overbet jam to my 3bet, just like he had done to two or three previous players who had 3bet him.
The difference here - I'm not playing to min-cash and I'm pretty confident I have the best hand - so I say - this will give me a monster stack - or bust me out and I made the call.
LAG player turns over JJ
Flop is KQJ turn x river x. I have nearly 200bb and a top 3 chip stack.

And now I go card dead.
I think I played four total hands in more than an hour. Three hands were from the big blind where their were several open and calls to a min-raise, and I'm sitting in the big blind with something playable buy weak, like 7/4 suited, or something like that. I never even continue past the flop. I win one hand uncontested when I 3 bet a button open as a bluff, and luckily he insta folds.
After that I do not play one single hand - I don't even pick up any good bluffing hands, just total crapola for over an hour.

I fold for over an hour - all the way into the final 4 tables.
I go from a top 3 chip stack down to 18th out of 32 players left. And I continue to fold and fold and fold - their is just too much preflop action - shoves and 3bet, 4bet shoves, and I have nothing to play.

I continue to fold down to the final 3 tables.
I have chipped all the way down to 14bb total. And I pick up a rush of cards.
UTG min-opens, bb calls and I jam A/K suited from the SB. All fold.
Very next hand MP min-raises CO calls and I open jam QQ on the button, all fold.

Very next hand UTG+1 min-opens, MP calls I 3bet KK to 3.5, UTG+1 4bet jams having both myself and MP covered, MP with about 12bb calls and I call.
UTG+1 turns over A/Q off, CO turns over 55, and my KKs hold.

The very next hand I stack another short stack with A/K flopping top 2 vs a player who thought top pair Queen kicker was the nuts. But to his credit - a paired Ace is pretty much the nuts with only 12bb.

Now I'm sitting pretty in 4th place with about 55?-ish bb.

We finally lose another player and we are now down to 2 tables.

I fold for about 3 orbits when I pick up A/J suited in the big blind.
I have about 50big blinds and a player with 19bb open jams all fold - and I made the call here. He turns over A/Q - I flop top pair top kicker and the river gives him the better hand.

I waffled about making this call - and I certainly miscalculated the equity I had.
I thought I was about break even with this call, but after studying I see vs a 10% shoving range - which is what I put him on I'm a dog a 45%.

I made another call with A/K vs a open jam from HJ - he ended up having 88s and his hand held. Dropped me down to under 6bb. I then jammed A/9 suited with 4.5bb and was crushed by KKs.

Just wondering - and second guessing myself about the A/J suited hand. I'm pretty certain I was headed for the final table prior to that hand.
I fold the A/J - still make the A/K call, and I'm still sitting with a 15-20bb stack, still in the event, waiting to pick up some solid hands to collect chips with.

Anyway - thanks for reading - and now you can see why I didn't put this in the hand analysis section.

Thank you for posting.

As to second guessing yourself- you have done a post hand reflection and versus range the AdJd could be a fold based on FGS- icmizer future game simulation.

How does FGS apply here?

1 Keeping a larger stack size relative to the field has equity so we need to think about that in our equity calculations.

2 The increasing blinds are on our side when we have a larger stack because it forces our V to make all-in decisions with wider ranges. As in this hand if the V had 12bb or less they would be shoving AT-2 but at 19bb it is much less likely.

3 When we take flips we are not using our skills- by folding some flips it allows us to use our skills in other hands to come.

The above is the strategic data we need to have to understand why we can fold AJdd even if our raw equity was 50-50 in this spot.

Hope this helps
:):)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for posting.

As to second guessing yourself- you have done a post hand reflection and versus range the AdJd could be a fold based on FGS- icmizer future game simulation.

How does FGS apply here?

1 Keeping a larger stack size relative to the field has equity so we need to think about that in our equity calculations.

2 The increasing blinds are on our side when we have a larger stack because it forces our V to make all-in decisions with wider ranges. As in this hand if the V had 12bb or less they would be shoving AT-2 but at 19bb it is much less likely.

3 When we take flips we are not using our skills- by folding some flips it allows us to use our skills in other hands to come.

The above is the strategic data we need to have to understand why we can fold AJdd even if our raw equity was 50-50 in this spot.

Hope this helps
:):)

Thanks for the reply E. Yes - to simplify this I usually use the gap theory, it makes it a lot simpler for decisions. I just saw that pretty suited Ace and made the incorrect call, this time. Probably will happen again in the future - but at least I have this experience to reflect on. Thanks again bud.