Can you fold this?

H

Halibel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, 6 players left. You get A-8 in the BB, the button limps, SB folds, you check. No flushes are of concern. The button has played weak for the most part.

Flop: 9-A-8 Turn: 8 River: 2

P1 ~1500
P2 ~350
P3 ~675
P4 - Button ~2400
P5 - SB ~4500
P6 - BB ~4075

On the flop, you lead out for one BB (200). Get called.
On the turn, you check. The button bets 500. I call.
On the river, I bet 750. Get raised all in. I call. And... turns over a pair of aces.

Could anyone get away from a turned full house?

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't go broke(stack off) with a BB special! Or a cheap blind special.

Probably not. There are 2 hands that beat you...

The button has played weak for the most part.

Great read. Get away from this hand early, and you won't get pwned. Raise preflop. Get some info, the button is weak, raise.

I'm guessing the button is so weak, they can limp monster hands?

When flop bunnies, can't raise, or fold, play flop bunny poker!

Really, when the turn 8 hits, u toasted. What if the turn was a 9?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OMG...WTF are you talking about?
...What? How can you not stack off with a full house here?

Great read. Get away from this hand early, and you won't get pwned. Raise preflop. Get some info, the button is weak, raise.
...Get away from a flopped 2 pair in a limped pot? What? Do you mean preflop? Fold it preflop instead of checking your option? Ok, so you'd raise preflop with A8-lets get some info. And if AA just calls and you flop 2 pair...what now? Fold it so you don't get pwned?

...Seriously, what the hell are you saying?

....Yeah, damn that 8 really toasted him, huh? He should've thinking 'Damn, full house-I should really fold now.' Seriously, OP you should've folded cuz that 8 toasted you.
...above.

L

leavem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be real hard to fold that. The limp into the pot at that stage, how could you put him on a hand that beats you.Therefore I would say most people would go broke there. Only 3 hand beat you, unfortunately you ran into 1 of the 3.

vanpampus

vanpampus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A 8 in bb, button limps, i would have raised pre-flop, to get more information about the other guys hand, still kinda impossible to fold that...

just bad luck buddy

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Probably not. There are 2 hands that beat you...

I'm guessing the button is so weak, they can limp monster hands?

omfg you're advice is so scrotum-clenchingly tilting

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am more broke than you with this hand, cause I'm borrowing chips from everywhere to get it in with this hand. Just unlucky. Not a thing you could do.

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isnt that the same hand from rounders, except MD was holding A9, caught 9's full of Aces to get beat by Aces full of nines. Anyway, yeah, I wouldve probably lost too.

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just about any hand is foldable.. if you think you're beat.

But I don't see how you could possibly fold in that situation, it's just very bad luck.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol, NO NUTS!
...You beat so many hands here and only lose to 3. With the way the hand played out with you turning a boat, it's practically -EV to fold here.

H

Halibel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isnt that the same hand from rounders, except MD was holding A9, caught 9's full of Aces to get beat by Aces full of nines. Anyway, yeah, I wouldve probably lost too.

Rounders radio?
No. This is a hand from a $5 STT

And I never raise from the BB unless I have a premium hand (AA, KK, AK, QQ etc...) because if I get re popped, I just lost a flop. But it's unlikely the dealer will limp with a monster since they are trying to make it look like a conventional play (raise from the button)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rounders radio?
No. This is a hand from a $5 STT

And I never raise from the BB unless I have a premium hand (AA, KK, AK, QQ etc...) because if I get re popped, I just lost a flop. But it's unlikely the dealer will limp with a monster since they are trying to make it look like a conventional play (raise from the button)

Rounders the Matt Damon movie, methinks.

Anywho, as played no I don't fold this. Not in a million years.

What I would think about doing though is raising preflop. Absence of a "premium" hand be damned - this is the last time in the hand you're going to have position. We'll miss the flop most of the time and won't have an answer if the villain makes a bet. So have a go at taking the pot there and then. You can still fold if the villain puts in a monster raise.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
...You beat so many hands here and only lose to 3. With the way the hand played out with you turning a boat, it's practically -EV to fold here.

...it's -EV, - Poker, - Everything

simple.

lol, NO NUTS!

With that style of playing I'd suggest sitting out the whole tourney - you will last longer than with your :icon_rabb:afraid::marchmellplay

this is the awesomest quote ever! much love for Van. and it's true too.

...still loling :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be inclined to raise pf. Wouldn`t make any difference with this fall of cards, however. You are always going to go bust here.

Lol @ Van. :D

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy fold, you should of seen what he had when he called you, and the bet on the turn then the river.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, 6 players left. You get A-8 in the BB, the button limps, SB folds, you check. No flushes are of concern. The button has played weak for the most part.

Flop: 9-A-8 Turn: 8 River: 2

P1 ~1500
P2 ~350
P3 ~675
P4 - Button ~2400
P5 - SB ~4500
P6 - BB ~4075

On the flop, you lead out for one BB (200). Get called.
On the turn, you check. The button bets 500. I call.
On the river, I bet 750. Get raised all in. I call. And... turns over a pair of aces.

Honestly.. I dont know if I could have got away from that.

BUT

The button limped!!

If everyone else folds to the button why would he limp?
Isnt that the buttons god given right to steal the blinds?
So why isnt he stealing? It kinda sends out the message that he has a really good hand and wants to see some kind of payoff for it.

The flop comes 9-A-8.

You have 2 pair but you have no idea at this point of what the button has... but it seems to be a big hand.

So instead of the small raise what about say 500 on the flop?

You say he has played weak so far so if he calls.. you have to be thinking trips at least. No flush on. maybe AK, AQ, TJ, JQ? maybe A9???

But calling the raise lets you know where you stand.

Now the turn comes 8. You hold one and there has already been one on the flop. So you can eliminate trip 8's

That leaves only trip 9's or trip A's ora draw to a straight with TJ or JQ

So which of these hands would he likely min raise the flop with? AA, 99, TJ or JQ (the drawing hands were sort of removed by the raise anyway.. he has a hand here and now.. and its bigger than a pair!)

AA? yes he wants to get paid off.

99 possibly ????

TJ, JQ, A9.. its a raise preflop surely to steal the blinds.

Infact the 200 raise makes it too cheap for drawing hands like TJ and JQ and until the mirical 8 came up on the turn you were virtually dead to a straight draw.

But OK you want to get paid offso you let him draw.. but then the 500 raise after the turn just seems to indicate great strength from him but you dont really know how to interpret it as its so far into the board.

Yes I think a bigger raise on the flop is in order in these situations. One that will make him stop and think if he has nothing and yet tell you volumes by his call.

BTW im not so sure I would have evaluated it as well whilst playing myself but looking at it in retrospect it seems fairly logical that he had something like AA

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...it's -EV, - Poker, - Everything

With that style of playing I'd suggest sitting out the whole tourney - you will last longer than with your :icon_rabb:afraid::marchmellplay

...still loling :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'd be very very suprised if you lose more times than you win in this situation. There's two hands that beat him here and you're acting like it's been badly played and it's an insta fold? Heads up too.

Surely it's -EV to fold here.

I'd love to play you hu if you only call bets with nut hands!!

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am working on my flop bunny game.

Errant Dog

Errant Dog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you folded that I would find you and slap your face.

T

thetrimguy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say no that you could not get away from this hand because there are only two hand yes only two hands to the people who have been saying three that can beat you the one he had and pocket 9's it is just unfortunate that he had it you played it very well and well it just happens sometimes

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Next time I play 2nl CC look forward to teh flop bunny poker awesomeness !!!!

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be very very suprised if you lose more times than you win in this situation. There's two hands that beat him here and you're acting like it's been badly played and it's an insta fold? Heads up too.

Surely it's -EV to fold here.

I'd love to play you hu if you only call bets with nut hands!!

No exactly not. I would bet my set here, too

- maybe I didn't make it clear enough -

Sometimes like here you lose - but I wouldn't fold either.

I didn't wan't to say I'd fould. Misunderstood I think.

Stacks:
MP2 with 1970
Pike60 with 4220
BTN with 1735
SB with 2105
BB with 3740
UTG with 1145
MP1 with 2920

hand.pl

Blinds:
Site: Full Tilt Poker
Dealt to MP2:K♠ J♥
Sklansky group 5
Preflop:
BB calls [40]
2 players fold.
Hero calls [40]
1 players fold.
pike60 calls [40]
1 players fold.
BTN calls [20]
SB checks
Total folds this street: 4
Potsize: 200
Flop: 8♣ K♥ K♣

ok UTG +2 I should have folded preflop ... but should I folded this all the time ? ?
:dontknow::p:D

BTN checks
SB checks
BB checks Hero bets [40]
pike60 calls [40]
3 players folded.
Total folds this street: 3
Potsize: 280
Turn: 6♦ Hero checks
pike60 bets [160]
3 players fold.
Hero raises to 760
UTG: i seen that show Zig, very interesting
pike60 raises to 1,360 Hero raises to 1,890, and is all in
pike60 calls [530] Hero shows : K♠ J♥
Pike60 shows : K♦ A♥

dang

I know it was horribly played by me but I got fooled by AK checking and

calling min-bet on flop w-o raising here

(maybe too late at night for me too see it :boring:).

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Amazingly I had this hand two nights ago, A8 in the BB, A98 flop, turn another 8. Only difference was villain had 9's not aces but the outcome is the same.

Of course I stacked off, my only pause was the re-raise on the turn. I have thought about this hand for a while too and to answer your question: I don't think you can get away from this, or at least I certainly can't. In fact leaving the 8 on the turn out of it, I couldn't even get away from the 2 pair v trips on the flop if the shove was there, that's a whole new level I have yet to reach!

I just think that there are a few situations in holdem that you can't get away from and when they occcur you just have to take the hit when you are on the wrong side of them. At least you had more chips than they did before the hand!!

Last edited:
H

Halibel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Amazingly I had this hand two nights ago, A8 in the BB, A98 flop, turn another 8. Only difference was villain had 9's not aces but the outcome is the same.

Of course I stacked off, my only pause was the re-raise on the turn. I have thought about this hand for a while too and to answer your question: I don't think you can get away from this, or at least I certainly can't. In fact leaving the 8 on the turn out of it, I couldn't even get away from the 2 pair v trips on the flop if the shove was there, that's a whole new level I have yet to reach!

I just think that there are a few situations in holdem that you can't get away from and when they occcur you just have to take the hit when you are on the wrong side of them.

If villain gets you all in after the flop, you'd assume ak?

Folding in Poker