V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
So you're all happy, your playing the $10,000.00 Main Event. Your so excited. You go to get your seat placement and this hot chick, so HOT, big real boobs and a cute smile(anyone see where this is going?)
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
tells you that you will be seated at the feature table. Your so excicted, you walk through the crowds of people and camera lights and take your seat, your so happy. Then comes in seat 1 and BAM! Phil Ivey with his scary pokerface sits down and puts a piece of gum in his mouth slowly(anyone see where this is going?)
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Then while your sitting there in fear Phil Hellmuth walks in all in black sits down, and slowly screws on his baseball hat(backwards, obv) that is all black. Then when you think it cant get any worse. Doyle Brunsno then walks in with the help of 2 slightly under dressed swimsuit models, he smiling and then takes his seat and sticks on his cowboy hat(Anyone see where this is going?).
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Your shocked 5 other players come in and take their seats. There is 1 seat empty that is not yelled filled in, its to your right. After a minute or 2 you see this 6'2" big hairy man with a white shirt, overalls, Navy boots and a big fat hairy mole on his lip come in and sit next to you(Anyone see where this is going?).
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Then the TD says 'shuffle up and deal!' Right as the dealer starts to deal the cards the big guy to your right says 'im all in first hand.' So all the table starts to laugh. 'Must be another one of those online poker farmers with laptops in their tractors"- Phil Hellmuth. All the players starts to talk and joke and one by one it folds to the farmer(SB) who pushs all his chips in the middle. You're(BB) the only one left to act you start thinking, 'aces baby, aces!' (Anyone see where this is going?).
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
You look down and see a shiny black ace! Your heart starts to beat!(Anyone see where this is going?).
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
You look down at the other and slowly look and see a big fat shiny....king. You have Big-Slick(Anyone see where this is going?).
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
You have AK, you are 100% sure the other guy hasnt looked and has 2 random cards. The feature table also gets shuffled every 20 minutes so you cant say....hes an idiot, ill get the chips later. Do you call?
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Also, i could typed this post in 50 words and 45 secs with only 2 typos instead i made this, Enjoy~~(yea i used 2 ~)!
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I think your going where you are, I fold here to his all in after lookin at him long and hard. Then saying something like, I dont really feel the 10-5 will cut it this time, maybe next time.

then I start talking to the chick with the really big boobs and see where she is staying :)

Black_Fox

Black_Fox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest, that's a tough one. I really like to see a flop with AK, but against a guy who's gone all in-in the dark.

I'd call.

BF.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sitting at a table like that you'd need a hell of a stack to play right if you're an Am. I'd call just to see how it plays out, lol (In reality, I'd fold)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold. Its the first hand. Its stupid to risk that much money on AK, even if it is a favorite over random cards, the random hand might not be that big of an underdog...so why would you even want to risk it?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call if he hasn't seen his cards. If I am gonna sit at this table I need more chips than the rest of them - even if for just a few minutes lol. Besides I couldn't bear to spend much time with him next to me - so one of us has to go.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^ Really?

Why risk everything on a non-made hand? I would rather call with JJ in that situation over AKo...

And wouldnt you want to wait for a better hand and position? You dont prove anything by calling except that you picked up a big hand and took a gamble early on.

Fold...

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call if he hasn't seen his cards. If I am gonna sit at this table I need more chips than the rest of them - even if for just a few minutes lol. Besides I couldn't bear to spend much time with him next to me - so one of us has to go.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

I'm sitting on a table with Ivey, Hellmuth and Brunson = I'm dead meat. Seriously, I'd call under normal tournament conditions, i.e., this table will be together for at least 2/3 levels and probably more being the feature table (when 1 of the farmers busts out he simply gets replaced and I'm still stuck with those sharks shi****g myself all over the place).

I'm not sure I understood correctly, but I think you're saying table breaks up in 20 min. If that's the case then I'll fold and I won't play a single hand on this table and lose my blinds for the 20 min I'm there. Its almost a mathematical certainty that the next table I'm in will be easier than this one. So I'll leave this table with ~9700 in chips and my ME starts 20 minutes later. That simple.

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have AK, you are 100% sure the other guy hasnt looked and has 2 random cards. The feature table also gets shuffled every 20 minutes so you cant say....hes an idiot, ill get the chips later. Do you call?

^^^

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK eh?

Probably fold :)

Might call - probably not, but maybe, (Tv time now :)) have to count my chips - 1,2,3,4.....

Erm...........

Take a sip of my drink............

Give a little speech ~
'first hand eh?, must a big hand to beat mine etc......',
'Mr Brunson, you think i should call his bluff or what then? :)'

'Oh go on then i'll.......let you play another hand, ill fold'

Basically fold - but milk it baby :)

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... and be known as the idiot who folded AK on national television to a guy who shoves all-in without even looking at his cards? Are we forgetting that Mike Sexton is commenting on our play? :p

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
... and be known as the idiot who folded AK on national television to a guy who shoves all-in without even looking at his cards? Are we forgetting that Norman Chad is commenting on our play? :p

FYP

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably is not definately though lol :)

pokernut

pokernut

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably have to ask the dealer to grab my cards for me and toss them to the muck since i will be shaking so bad, and my hands will be wet from trying to clean up the pee stain in my pants due to sitting with the Phil's and Doyle. I won't be able to stand up for a while because I don't want the big breasted hot chick to see it.

Seriously, I would probably fold shaking my head and wishing that I had the balls to call.

pink_floyd67

pink_floyd67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first of all if all u people are so scared of the Ivy's and the Bronson's of this world then you lost before you even sat down.
People that play in awe of those guys never win.
I don't care if u have 27 os or AA you are losing at the end because u will fall for the pressure they will put on you.
I know this is just a hypothetical story but people intimidated by the pros is real.
If i am ever lucky enough to sit at the table like that I am being the aggressor from the start so this pros wont think they can push me around.
Basically what the big hairy farmer did there is exactly what should be done. Show this guys I am not afraid to bet all my stack in the dark so try to bluff me and you are toast.

pink_floyd67

pink_floyd67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OH i forgot
I know this story can never be true because I never get the hot busty girl sitting in my table.
:D

AND i don't make the call
AK= Anna Kornikova- looks dame good but rarely wins
so i waiting for another hand.
Since i want to play aggressive against the pros this doesn't count because he is not a pro so everything i said in my previous post still stands.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^ Really?

Why risk everything on a non-made hand? I would rather call with JJ in that situation over AKo...

And wouldnt you want to wait for a better hand and position? You dont prove anything by calling except that you picked up a big hand and took a gamble early on.

Fold...

... and be known as the idiot who folded AK on national television to a guy who shoves all-in without even looking at his cards? Are we forgetting that Mike Sexton is commenting on our play? :p

Why? Cause of what FP said.

R

RJB07

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold 100% cant risk all your money on the first hand of the wsop youve probably waited for years for this chance. And plus AK is my bogey hand i hate it !:(

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call Call Call.

What are you guys thinking. You have a maniac in the small blind pushing all-in without looking at his cards and you're going to fold the 3rd or 4th best hand in poker. Why even play, just give me your 10 grand instead.

You have to accumulate chips to win (and winning is the goal not lasting for awhile) It doesn't matter if you bust out on the first hand or the bubble it's still the same money ZERO. Plus if you last 4 days and don't make the moeny you've wasted a long time.

You have and edge here against villans range obviously, take it. Lets put it this way, if you knew he had 7-2 os would you call? How about Q-6? 9-4? Now if you are in this situation and villan pushed all-in and then showed you 7-2 os (for this hypothetical they changed the rules making this legal), would you still fold because you didn't want to lose on the first hand? If you are playing this way, take up "go fish" or something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying play like a donk and push marginal situations. This is hardly marginal.

Of course he will probably have 8-3 os and spike a 3 on the river to win but oh well.

HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call Call Call.

What are you guys thinking. You have a maniac in the small blind pushing all-in without looking at his cards and you're going to fold the 3rd or 4th best hand in poker. Why even play, just give me your 10 grand instead.

You have to accumulate chips to win (and winning is the goal not lasting for awhile) It doesn't matter if you bust out on the first hand or the bubble it's still the same money ZERO. Plus if you last 4 days and don't make the moeny you've wasted a long time.

You have and edge here against villans range obviously, take it. Lets put it this way, if you knew he had 7-2 os would you call? How about Q-6? 9-4? Now if you are in this situation and villan pushed all-in and then showed you 7-2 os (for this hypothetical they changed the rules making this legal), would you still fold because you didn't want to lose on the first hand? If you are playing this way, take up "go fish" or something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying play like a donk and push marginal situations. This is hardly marginal.

Of course he will probably have 8-3 os and spike a 3 on the river to win but oh well.

I see what your saying, and I thought about this too, but if you think about it, your going to call his all in when all thats in the pot before that is the blinds? Lets say you got some raises, he goes all in, and they all fold to you, then id call. Im not going to put my whole stack in as a 60/40 (thinking he has two live undercards) but I just wont risk 10G on the first hand of the ME.

As a poker pro, I think it was either Hellmuth or Matusow said, "I would fold Kings to an all in on the first hand of the wsop, I just wont risk it there." Im sorry but its just not worth it, its not like your going to be eaten by blinds anytime soon, play solid poker and win

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why does it make a difference if it's the first hand or the 10,000th hand? If your on the bubble or final table bubble that may be one thing but I just don't get this "it's the first hand" thing. That's irrelevant.

Ok lets change it then. It's the 1000th hand of the WSOP, remarkably everyone in the tourney has the same amount of chips. A new player sits down at your table and announces he's tired and going all-in blind first hand. He's in the SB and you are BB. It's folded to him and true enough he shoves. You have AK, do you fold? By the way it's not a TV table and there are no pros at the table.

(By the way, on the bubble or final table bubble, I still call to accumulate chips to win, trying to win is the only way to play not being scared of losing)

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(By the way, on the bubble or final table bubble, I still call to accumulate chips to win, trying to win is the only way to play not being scared of losing)

I havent answered this poll yet. I want to comment on this though. For me here it depends. Depends on the money jump here, if its like a 100k money jump I might not but seeing as everyone is even stacked I think im leaning more towards calling here.

100k is alot of money to lose on 60/40 at best, im not scared of losing but that is a good chunk of change.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a poker pro, I think it was either Hellmuth or Matusow said, "I would fold Kings to an all in on the first hand of the wsop, I just wont risk it there." Im sorry but its just not worth it, its not like your going to be eaten by blinds anytime soon, play solid poker and win
"I'd fold kings" is a real quote, but you're taking it WAY out of context.

They'd fold kings to an all-in on the first hand if the guy who pushes all-in has seen his cards. The idea being, of course, that the only hand someone is willing to push all-in with on the first hand of the main event is, specifically, pocket aces.

Being 65% to win against a random hand, this is an instant call. If you get knocked out - and you will, one time in three - go have some lunch, and find yourself a juicy side game filled with all the other people who get knocked out early. Chances are they played poorly in order to get knocked out.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I havent answered this poll yet. I want to comment on this though. For me here it depends. Depends on the money jump here, if its like a 100k money jump I might not but seeing as everyone is even stacked I think im leaning more towards calling here.

100k is alot of money to lose on 60/40 at best, im not scared of losing but that is a good chunk of change.

ME buyin is only 10K storm.

Anyways, very, very, very easy fold. Let me just put it this way, unless you are absolutely certain that he has A9 or less, I don't make this call. Against a random hand, AK v. xx, most of the time you're just going to be about 60/40. On the first hand of the WSOP, there is no need to make this move. With your stack size in relation to the blinds at this point the tourney, there is absolutely no need to unnecessarily risk ALL your chips with AK preflop. If you're an above average, or even just a slightly above average player, you should never be putting all your chips in preflop in these situations. You're leaving it too much up to chance by making this call preflop.

You have AK, even if he has 27 OS, he flops a 2, you hit nothing the whole way, you lose simple as that.

If you're concerned with being "insulted" by Norman Chad on ESPN, then obv you have no idea what it takes to win at poker. Just because Norman Chad says you made a wrong play on ESPN, does not mean that you did. The ESPN broadcasts are very much edited to make Chad look like a "great" analyst. Yes, it is entertaining, the whole ESPN broadcast itself, but Chad gives away the end result of hands many times with what he says during hands. For example, if someone is in the process of making a bluff that eventually succeeds, Chad will start off the hand on the flop when the person starts the bluff, by saying that "Oh wow, this is such a bold move. This kid is showing great heart with this 'play.'"

However, when someone is making a bluff that eventually does not succeed, he starts off the bluff by saying, "Wow, I can't believe he's putting this much money in with those cards, that even 3rd World Nations would throw away, ect, ect."

There's much more about the ESPN commentating that I believe "gives away" hand results as they are occurring, but that's not what we're talking about here. Anyways, back to OP, I fold the AK pretty easily. If you are trying to argue that you would make this type of call, then I think you really need to try and understand why this is an easy fold. There is no need to unnecesarily risk ALL your chips on AK preflop, at this point in the tourney.

WSOP Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands