Would you have reraised the river?

5miles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big blind, last stages of a Sit & Go.

EDIT: Topic correction, raised the river.

full tilt poker Game #5764204430: $2 + $0.25 Sit & Go (43876847), Table 1 - 80/160 - No Limit Hold'em - 13:14:25 ET - 2008/03/24
Seat 3: fmiles (1,910)
Seat 4: willmore 1 (760)
Seat 5: Tedir (8,120)
Seat 8: ManuelSanti (2,230)
Seat 9: ffortso (480)
ffortso posts the small blind of 80
fmiles posts the big blind of 160
The button is in seat #8
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to fmiles [9s 6s]
willmore 1 has 15 seconds left to act
willmore 1 folds
Tedir calls 160
ManuelSanti folds
ffortso folds
fmiles checks
*** FLOP *** [As Tc Qs]
fmiles has 15 seconds left to act
fmiles bets 160
Tedir calls 160
*** TURN *** [As Tc Qs] [Js]
fmiles bets 320
Tedir calls 320
*** RIVER *** [As Tc Qs Js] [2s]
fmiles checks
Tedir bets 480
fmiles calls 480
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Tedir shows [Qd Kc] a straight, Ace high
fmiles shows [9s 6s] a flush, Ace high
fmiles wins the pot (2,320) with a flush, Ace high
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2,320 | Rake 0
Board: [As Tc Qs Js 2s]
Seat 3: fmiles (big blind) showed [9s 6s] and won (2,320) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 4: willmore 1 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: Tedir showed [Qd Kc] and lost with a straight, Ace high
Seat 8: ManuelSanti (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: ffortso (small blind) folded before the Flop

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would generally be a bad idea to reraise here on the river. If he has the K of spades you lose and he also reraises you back. If he has any other hand he should fold (assuming he's a decent player which is no sure thing at this level.). After all you have the second nuts, so either he has the nuts or he's beat with at best the third nuts. With 4 spades he can't really call a reraise either with a straight. So you gain no money with a reraise and potentially you could lose alot if he has you beat. So I think just calling is the right play.

jewboy07

jewboy07

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just a call here is in order

the only hand that can call your re-raise is a bigger flush so there is no point in raising

even if you min raise the straight can't call and if villian re-raises you, you might have to lay it down

M

MigratedLamb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Gee that was a terrible bet he made on the river there.

Edited to add: he pretty much played that whole hand terribly.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that the vilan playt this hand terrible MigratedLamb but disagree with the river bet, From the vilans point aview are hero is 50/50 to have a spade in his hand if he dosent have a spade he´s forced to lay the hand down to a river bet even if has a straight or a set. Plus he has a big chip lead that allows him to try to bully people in exactly that kind of sitiuation

S

silverflash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
classic error: just call , call , call...............hhmmmm the usual outcome...my recommendation stop just calling, calling , calling either raise or fold at turn.

S

silverflash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ie: hand should not have gone to river without a raise

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
classic error: just call , call , call...............hhmmmm the usual outcome...my recommendation stop just calling, calling , calling either raise or fold at turn.

Ummm, whattt?

Hero was first to act and bet the turn. Kinda hard to raise when you bet and villan calls. And why would you even consider folding the turn with the second nut flush.

Has for the river, a fourth flush card hits making it more possible that villan has the K of spades in his hand. Plus if villan doesn't have a spade, a bet here (remember hero is first to act) and villan most likely folds without a spade. But by checking we induce a bluff and get more chips if he doesn't have the K of spades. But a raise serves no purpose. If he has the nuts we lose more money to his reraise and if he doens't he folds so we don't make any more money anyway.

I really don't understand your posts at all. Please read the HH better, position is important here.

P

PokrBoi21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The call was the correct choice.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It might just be me, I would not have been in the hand to begin with. With your stack size you could have waited for a better spot, with two short stacked players.
You got very lucky in this instance.
reraising on the river with not the absolute nuts is not a good idea. Usually the only person to call or raise will be the one that can beat you.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It might just be me, I would not have been in the hand to begin with. With your stack size you could have waited for a better spot, with two short stacked players.
You got very lucky in this instance.
reraising on the river with not the absolute nuts is not a good idea. Usually the only person to call or raise will be the one that can beat you.

Umm, not to be rude, but I really wish people would read the hand histories correctly. Hero was in the BB with no raises in front of him. Are you suggesting that he fold when he gets a free look at the flop?

I also don't see a problem with him betting the flop. He's against one player with a flush draw. Villan could very easily have a small pp or something and fold plus if called hero still has the draw going for him.

Seriously, I wish people would read the HH correctly before posting a response. That's 2 people in this thread that have made comments or suggestions based on incorrect information.

M

MigratedLamb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From the vilans point aview are hero is 50/50 to have a spade in his hand if he dosent have a spade he´s forced to lay the hand down to a river bet even if has a straight or a set.

Would hero bet on the flop with just a K (gutshot only)? Perhaps, I just didn't see it based on what we were given. Don't know why you bring set into it, a set wouldn't be betting into that turn. I can't see hero making any turn bet unless he has a K or flush based on what we are given. I guess it depends which is more likely.

Plus he has a big chip lead that allows him to try to bully people in exactly that kind of sitiuation

Pretty small bet to try and bully someone, seeing as hero only has about 1200 left in chips, and seeing as the pot is roughly 1300, and as you mentioned villian's massive stack.

I

iluvdahate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No...if you do anything you just call. There are hands that beat you and in a tournament it is about survival. My plan is to not risk too much unless i feel my hand is best or has a good chace of being best by the river or 6th or 7th street, whatever it is in stud.