Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
this is what I saw today, while a look some tables:

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/024BmpQsB

SCOOP $10.300 (main event) 5M GTD - 609 entries - bubble time - 80 players left - 79 is the ITM - next payout will won $21.662.13

I would never call with AK- I played 1 day, why I will risk everything now?

what you think about this call with :ah4::kh4:? with 55BB left and risking your tournament life?

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips

SCOOP $10.300 (main event) 5M GTD - 609 entries - bubble time - 80 players left - 79 is the ITM - next payout will won $21.662.13

what you think about this call with :ah4::kh4:? with 55BB left and risking your tournament life?

You won't call because you don't understand their ranges. In these spots SB is shoving mainly small pocket pairs, middling aces, like AT-A9 and some off suite broadways like KJo. AK is dominating that range and it is a mandatory call.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are folding AK from a small blind shove ? Wow, I guess you and I differ a great deal. AK is a very strong starting hand. Unless the small blind has been folding everything except super premium hands I am happy to get it in with AK.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes it is a lovely hand but on the bubble I believe this is an ICM fold.

I would definitely be folding here, if 21k was on the line

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was at stream... Mahrama streams it on twitch with VEA via discord .... Tomorrow will be last 40 and VEA top 1 now... He was drunk but still played good ... He is control table and known what to do and how to do opponents mistekes .. he is showed bad hands 82s 3bet reraise preflop... Played very aggressive ... He said i push A8 and if you have A9 , you should call.... SB was from Russia and probably was at stream at this moment... of course he is called with AK ... But VEA lied about A8, there was 55 !!!

Mahrama deleted stream, but Lex clip saved

https://clips.twitch.tv/RoughAmazonianCattleHeyGirl

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Terrible Call with AK , BB made 2 enter !!!! But he won 300k and 500k not far away ... He played from one of school poker ... And VEA had own school poker... And they are competing... VEA several times told that he had best pokers school at Russia and ex USSR... And it was snap call with AKs with out thinking .... 2 enters ... Terrible call...

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hard to say that we have not seen worse calls with all that we have seen playing poker over the years but yes this is not a good call. So many other posts are arguing that you are ahead of villains range which you are but when you are one spot away from money, 55 BB deep you do not need to be making such a risky play. This isnt a $5 buy in here, its $10.3K.

There are times here where you are going against a pure bluff (not as likely because opponent should have ICM considerations too) but even if you are you are roughly 2/3rds to 1/3rd fav when going against two random non dominated cards that are not a pair. That means you would piss away 21k of potential winnings or more depending on how deep you could have gone 33% of the time. If he has any pair other than 22 than we are a slight dog and favored to be knocked out. There is plenty of time to accumulate chips with 55BB left. You dont have to and shouldnt be gambling on this big of a bubble when you are literally 1 spot away from being ITM. You can take advantage of these spots by being aggressive yourself but if you get pushed into I would be folding and just wait the one spot to then do what you want to do.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Hard to say that we have not seen worse calls with all that we have seen playing poker over the years but yes this is not a good call. So many other posts are arguing that you are ahead of villains range which you are but when you are one spot away from money, 55 BB deep you do not need to be making such a risky play. This isnt a $5 buy in here, its $10.3K.

There are times here where you are going against a pure bluff (not as likely because opponent should have ICM considerations too) but even if you are you are roughly 2/3rds to 1/3rd fav when going against two random non dominated cards that are not a pair. That means you would piss away 21k of potential winnings or more depending on how deep you could have gone 33% of the time. If he has any pair other than 22 than we are a slight dog and favored to be knocked out. There is plenty of time to accumulate chips with 55BB left. You dont have to and shouldnt be gambling on this big of a bubble when you are literally 1 spot away from being ITM. You can take advantage of these spots by being aggressive yourself but if you get pushed into I would be folding and just wait the one spot to then do what you want to do.

Jesus Christ, put ranges in icmizer and see for yourself. I guarantee that even with icm considerations this is a snap call.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jesus Christ, put ranges in icmizer and see for yourself. I guarantee that even with icm considerations this is a snap call.

Guess you did not read where I wrote that you are ahead of his range. BUT this is a 21k bubble. I don't give a damn if you have 70% equity here in totality (which you dont) this is ICM suicide to be making calls like this 1 spot away from a substantial cash. This is not a cash game and cant believe you are getting worked up about it. You do not take every +EV spot in a tournament as weird as it sounds. You have to put value on your tournament life and what that life is worth at the given point in the tournament. You seem to be glossing over that or you believe you are such a favorite that it overrides ICM which is nonsense. If this is your stance then I would take that you never folding AK pre flop ever as you would always think you are ahead of villains range. Just an easy example of that being horrible would be like this on the bubble or you are second in chips at a final table with 4 other short stacks and the largest stack jams. Calling in that type of spot is not good unless the payout jumps are lousy and flat.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a very non-standard and fishy play for SB to be open jamming for 50+BB. Therefore I dont think, its possible to analyse this hand without considering the reads and dymanics, which existed. I certainly dont think, this is a terrible call, but if I had qualified via a satellite or something, and was playing outside my roll, I would go for the sure min-cash.

In a 3$ tournament I would totally expect a fish to show up here with pocket 5`s. However since this is high stakes, and SB had BB covered, I suppose, the dynamic could be something like this "I have you covered, and we are on the bubble, so I know, you cant call, and therefore I will jam whatever random garbage, I have". And in that case calling with AK is certainly profitable even considering ICM, as long as you are correctly bankrolled.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Guess you did not read where I wrote that you are ahead of his range. BUT this is a 21k bubble. I don't give a damn if you have 70% equity here in totality (which you dont) this is ICM suicide to be making calls like this 1 spot away from a substantial cash. This is not a cash game and cant believe you are getting worked up about it. You do not take every +EV spot in a tournament as weird as it sounds. You have to put value on your tournament life and what that life is worth at the given point in the tournament. You seem to be glossing over that or you believe you are such a favorite that it overrides ICM which is nonsense. If this is your stance then I would take that you never folding AK pre flop ever as you would always think you are ahead of villains range. Just an easy example of that being horrible would be like this on the bubble or you are second in chips at a final table with 4 other short stacks and the largest stack jams. Calling in that type of spot is not good unless the payout jumps are lousy and flat.

You need to use icmizer before writing nonsense like this.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Its a very non-standard and fishy play for SB to be open jamming for 50+BB. Therefore I dont think, its possible to analyse this hand without considering the reads and dymanics, which existed. I certainly dont think, this is a terrible call, but if I had qualified via a satellite or something, and was playing outside my roll, I would go for the sure min-cash.

In a 3$ tournament I would totally expect a fish to show up here with pocket 5`s. However since this is high stakes, and SB had BB covered, I suppose, the dynamic could be something like this "I have you covered, and we are on the bubble, so I know, you cant call, and therefore I will jam whatever random garbage, I have". And in that case calling with AK is certainly profitable even considering ICM, as long as you are correctly bankrolled.

vea is a high stakes crusher. He sometimes streams on twitch, if you catch him online you can tell hem that he is fish.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I understand what you say about "mini-cash" BUT
he possibly could win much more than 20K - something between 50K and 120K - even because "serggorelyi7" is a good player, and had a pretty good stack - this call no makes sense for me

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, but I'm not calling there. I've never been the one to play big slick like it is the be all to end all, even if it's suited. I know a lot of players look at it and it's always a shove or always a call. I'm not saying I'm never calling or shoving with it. As a lot of people around here like to say, it depends. It always depends on position, chip stack, player history, and on the situation. In this particular situation, I would let it go.

While I'm saying that, I should probably also say that I'm not the biggest fan of the shove with 5-5 in that spot. I know there are a lot of times when a lot of people would consider the action here to be automatic. One shoves with fives. The other calls with suited slick. Pretty standard. After all, you have to win flips to stack chips. Right? I on the other hand am not all that fond of shoving with fives. And big slick is not an automatic call for me. But on the bubble, I'm not making either one of those plays.

I would have liked to see this hand play out in real time to see how much time each of these players took to make their decisions.

k0dka

k0dka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see nothing wrong about this call. The buy-in amount is irrelevant, a min-cash is still a min-cash.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sb shoving almost everything there on the bubble dont see why he would fold AK suited on the bb its blind vs blind

Think he also doesnt play for 21k but for the first place
so folding there could cost him chips.

How is his call horrible? 95% would call in that spot just bad unlucky he didnt connect the flop

He probably also has notes etc on the player(s)
there is a reason hes playing in that 10k and there is also a reason he got those chips in the first place by making correct plays.

if thats "one of the worst calls" you have seen. they you need to watch more poker.. or maybe stop playing it.. lol

since you clearly dont know the range of your hands.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes it is a lovely hand but on the bubble I believe this is an ICM fold.

I would definitely be folding here, if 21k was on the line

Okay, I will change this to if the 21k was just a min cash then certainly I don't see a problem with calling, especially if you had a really good read on the SB.

I just don't get married to AK no matter how gorgeous it looks, it can be very deceiving at times. It's bitten me on the arse on occasions :D

I think ICM matters more on the FT bubble and payouts on the FT.

I would personally fold if it was me hoping to get 21k as my highest win is 1k :D

As you should know about answers to poker, one springs to mind... It depends

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
vea is a high stakes crusher. He sometimes streams on twitch, if you catch him online you can tell hem that he is fish.

I dont care, who he is. Open jamming a small pair for this many blinds is not a good play. Do you think, he ever get called by 22 or A3s? If not he is either picking up a very small pot, getting it in as a 4:1 dog, or getting it in on a pure coinflip. If he had not gotten lucky in this hand, he would have lost most of his chips, and the headline would have been "the worst jam ever". At the end of the day its still poker, weather the buyin is 1$ or 10.000$.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
sb shoving almost everything there on the bubble dont see why he would fold AK suited on the bb its blind vs blind

Think he also doesnt play for 21k but for the first place
so folding there could cost him chips.

How is his call horrible? 95% would call in that spot just bad unlucky he didnt connect the flop

He probably also has notes etc on the player(s)
there is a reason hes playing in that 10k and there is also a reason he got those chips in the first place by making correct plays.

if thats "one of the worst calls" you have seen. they you need to watch more poker.. or maybe stop playing it.. lol

since you clearly dont know the range of your hands.

95% will would call? - LOL :icon_joke
you clearly likes to waste your time and money with poker. I don't care about ranges in this spot. at least 21K wasted.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the difference is 0 and $21k and you should be able to fold into the money, then yes you fold if villain can knock you out.

(Unless you are playing in the same tourney as me, in which case call away that's the right play. I love the players who take unnecessary risks and knock each other out.)

k0dka

k0dka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you clearly likes to waste your time and money with poker. I don't care about ranges in this spot. at least 21K wasted.

If you don't care about ranges and make mistakes in this spot just so you can min-cash, then you are definitely wasting your time and money.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I dont care, who he is. Open jamming a small pair for this many blinds is not a good play. Do you think, he ever get called by 22 or A3s? If not he is either picking up a very small pot, getting it in as a 4:1 dog, or getting it in on a pure coinflip. If he had not gotten lucky in this hand, he would have lost most of his chips, and the headline would have been "the worst jam ever". At the end of the day its still poker, weather the buyin is 1$ or 10.000$.

Hmm, last year Dan Smith jammed 40bb and busted, on last Wcoop Fedor Holz jammed 55bb with 77 and busted. Have you seen "worst jam ever" headlines for them? If you watch highstakes tournament replays on youtube, you will regularly see highstakes pros open jamming and 3bet jamming huge stacks. That's because their strategy goes beyond simple odds. If you don't understand something that most high level MTT players do, you should step back and try to understand it instead of saying that's a bad play.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips

A lot of high stakes crushers would insta call in that spot, are they wasting time too?

J

jmg199

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't even call with AA in that situation.
Fold, fold, fold until hand-for-hand play stops