The worst played straight in history?

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please rip me to shreds here. But there are a couple of questions to go with it. The hand: (sorry, I've lost the bit with chip counts, but as you'll see it doesn't really matter)

$5 9 handed SnG
Dealt to CfPoker333 [Jh 8s]
zaskar35: calls 20
Sucram95: folds
hym1e: folds
McMahon00: folds
scotercalls: calls 20
SCOBIE43: calls 20
CfPoker333: calls 10
BigOldMan1: checks
*** FLOP *** [Qd 9s Ts]
CfPoker333: checks
zaskar35: checks
scotercalls: checks
SCOBIE43: checks
*** TURN *** [Qd 9s Ts] [2s]
*** RIVER *** [Qd 9s Ts 2s] [5s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
CfPoker333: shows [Jh 8s] (a flush, Ten high)
BigOldMan1: mucks hand
zaskar35: mucks hand
scotercalls: mucks hand
SCOBIE43: mucks hand
CfPoker333 collected 100 from pot

So questions:
- With 5 of us in the pot is it ok to check this flop hoping someone will bet at it, or should I be betting out expecting at least one player to call?
- On the turn, should I now be leading out or check and reevaluate after any action?
- River is standard by this point? Not gonna get overexcited with my 8 flush.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with one gap cards, I think a straight in this case is so unlikely from the villians perspective that a bet would be a good idea here, 1/3-1/2 the pot a bet that looks scared and might encourage action from other hands.

no bets on the flop then you definitely should have bet the turn. if someone has a flush you want to know about now rather than let a 4 to a flush hit on the river and not know if someone is just betting a scare card.

when the 4th spade hits the river, check calling a reasonable bet is probably best in this case.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- With 5 of us in the pot is it ok to check this flop hoping someone will bet at it, or should I be betting out expecting at least one player to call?
- On the turn, should I now be leading out or check and reevaluate after any action?
- River is standard by this point? Not gonna get overexcited with my 8 flush.

I'm not going to rip you to shreds, you were a man with a plan and it just didn't work out. You could look through the mucked hands to see what you were up against, but if no one was excited about the flop you were probably never on for a big pay day.

That said, I would have bet out on the flop, simply to try and build the pot. It is only 100 at the moment, bet 60 or so and hope for a couple of callers so you've got a proper size pot to work on on later streets.

On turn, agree with Steve, not a good card, you've got to bet it to see what you are up against.

And river is lousy card - check is standard.

Problem now is your hand is revealed, and you have been outed as someone that slow plays biggies!

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Problem now is your hand is revealed, and you have been outed as someone that slow plays biggies!

He should be able to use that to his advantage in the future. That is if the people he is up against are even cleaver enough to pick up on that, which is never gauranteed.

I don't mind going to a show down in certain cases but it is vital that you adjust to what has been shown. If you were caught bluffing use it to your advantage, tighten way up and hope someone doesn't believe you when you have real hand. Showing hands down is not always a bad thing.

A

AckLakCak3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, this was a bad play. maybe you wouldn't have been able to extract any more chips out of your opponents, but you still want to bet your hand to find out. slowplaying that hand to the river is horrible, because now any time you check it will be assumed that you are holding, and any time you bet it will be assumed that you have nothing. unless you have the savvy to recognize this as your table image, and modify your play to fit that image, you are sunk.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer a bet on that flop. Some hands will check behind with a hand where they would have called a bet as a big underdog (JT, J9, or a flush draw come to mind). Also, there are a lot of hands that are way behind that will actually raise (AQ, QJ, two pair). Then they're pot committed and you get a bunch on chips in as a huge favorite. If you check-raise them, they might get away by the turn. The other problem with not betting is that if someone else slowplays or lets a card come off out of caution, you don't get paid off if a scare card hits (as it did in this example). Instead of stacking two pair or a set or maybe even AQ or QJ, you instead get next to nothing. I suppose it's not crazy to think that one of the four players will bet out on that flop, but I prefer the play against one aggressive opponent as opposed to four players. Against four players, there's likely a hand out there and thus no need for deception.

I think checking on the turn is a big mistake. You have no reason to put someone on a flush but plenty of reason to put someone on a higher flush draw. Even if you are up against a flush, are you going to fold to a bet? I wouldn't. So why not bet out, charge players who are drawing, and simultaneously give a made flush an opportunity to raise you. If he raises you, you can let the straight go and save money you would have put in on a blank river. The situation would be a little different if you had a set, because you can actually suck out against a flush, so taking a passive line makes more sense. But your hand isn't getting any better, so there's no reason to be afraid of getting bet off your hand. If it's not good now, it's worthless.

Correction: It is possible for you so suck out on the river against some flushes, but I really wouldn't count on it with just the 8s.

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with low ended str8 and 2 flush cards you always need to make a probe bet on the flop w/ 5 people in play, regardless. just make a weak 1/4-1/3 bet if you need to. slow-playing is a very bad idea in this situation because you cannot build any potsize

Mr Alacran

Mr Alacran

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with skills, a nice half-pot bet woulda done the job there on the flop. On the turn, it was a scare card, and it was OK to check, same with the river. Too bad you were first to act.