This is why I cant get DEEP ITM

F

fiddy1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know big slick is somewhat overrated by many, but at this stage i need to double up to do some damage, but for the life of me, everytime i push with this late in a tourney i can't make a hand.

If I can't or shouldn't push with this, what do i push with when i need to make a move ??

So frustrated, i play for 4 hours and can't make to bigger final table money.

Stacks:

* MP2 with 17930
* Dark_0n3 with 7215
* BTN with 8337
* SB with 9055
* BB with 14141
* UTG with 28608
* UTG+1 with 8860
* MP1 with 6095

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds:
Site: full tilt poker
Dealt to BTN:K♥ A♥
* * Sklansky group 1
Preflop:
* * UTG calls [600]
* * 4 players fold.
Hero calls [600]
* * SB raises to 3,600
* * 2 players fold.
Hero raises to 8,262, and is all in
* * SB calls [4,662] Hero shows : K♥ A♥
* * SB shows : 6♥ 6♣
* * Total folds this street: 6
* * Potsize: 17724
Flop: Q♣ 10♦ 2♥
Turn: 9♦
River: 6♦
* * Hero shows Ace King high
* * SB shows three of a kind, Sixes
* * SB wins the pot (18,324) with three of a kind, Sixes

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

widowmaker89

widowmaker89

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting deep requires not only good playing but a little luck. If you play good poker you will get far eventually when those 50/50 60/40 hands start going your way.

That said you should certainly raise with AK, as it worked out though just one of those hands. Keep putting yourself in position and it will all work out eventually. Good luck.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah you're going to have to win a few races to make big money. How many tournaments have you played. When you consider 9 at FT/# of entrants, can't expect to make them too often.

M

marble

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
are you looking for advice or is this a rant?

G

GivPeace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you pushed at the wrong time ( to pick up dead money not saying the push was bad) , a push right off the button would have been better ( a much better chance to pick up dead money ). Another reason why this would work in this situation is it will alienate small blind from knowing he is going to play his 6's heads up hopefully making him fold. All Sb Did was make a good raise and then when it was heads up and you moved in he knew he was heads up and probobly in a coin flip so his call was fine. The lesson here ur all-in is a very useful tool with any two cards but you have to choose your moments, know your opponents and follow your gut

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow. I was in the same situation last night on FT. The only thing is i had 99. I was low on chips and had to double up. He hit A on the river. So sometimes the AK works.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And sometimes there is a double suckout. In bodog $100K, shove AKo with my M=8 and 2 limpers. One limper calls and shows 77, I flop an A, river 2 outs me w/ a 7.

Analysis, preflop were you hoping to see a cheap flop w/ the limp or purposely hoping a blind would raise? If the latter you got what you wanted. If the former why limp AKs, shove to begin with. You can't pull a stop-n-go here so calling doesn't get you anything unless you have a specific read that the SB will check the flop if it doesn't hit him; then you'd shove.

THe Slob

THe Slob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not a bad push, it just didn't work out this time. You were only a little less that 50% to win this preflop. And as others have said these hands will pay off for you at times. I had and UTG limp last night on Stars. I had JJ in the button and went all-in with about 9BBs left. The UTG, who I had covered by about $20, thought and thought, called time, and thought some more and eventually called with A 5 o/s. I almost burst out laughing! Needless to say the UTG hit a straight on the flop and I went from laughing to cussing! The 3 paired on the turn and I caught a J on the river to fill up and bust the UTG.

K

Kennyseven

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
currently i am 1 for 31 with AK deep in tournies....talk about frustrating!

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Imagine if you will that you shove (all-in) PF before sb gets that move. SB, who is not sitting so great himself, has to consider that you could very well have a bigger pocket pair, and there is at least some chance he decides his 66 is just not good enough, and folds. That tiny difference in timing adds up over the long haul.

Suited Slick is a good enough hand to warrant the all-in move here PF.

F

fiddy1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thx guys - i had a feeling (dont ask me how) that i might be able to see a cheap flop - hence the limp.

But u are all mostly right i think - shoving preflop might have made him rethink showing down.

Cheers all.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never use the call button when the blinds are this high compared to your stack. The only useful buttons at this stage are raise and fold.

AK on the button is of course a raise preflop. calling is horrible here.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thx guys - i had a feeling (dont ask me how) that i might be able to see a cheap flop - hence the limp.

But u are all mostly right i think - shoving preflop might have made him rethink showing down.

Cheers all.

You're thinking about this the wrong way.

With blinds so large, you don't want to "see a cheap flop", you want to get your chips in with your strong hand. Let's say you do see a cheap flop, well, you will miss more flops than you hit, what then? Limping preflop loses you value and makes it easy for you to make postflop mistakes.

It doesn't matter whether SB would have called or not if you had open-raised. Don't use short-term results as a gauge for how effective a play was.

F

fiddy1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL at EXACT same scenario - this time shove pf.

This time, 5.50+R, out ITM 39th out of about 300:

Stacks:
SB with 112833
BB with 49787
UTG with 71305
MP1 with 39950
MP2 with 12640
CO with 38135
BTN with 68213

hand.pl

Blinds: 800/1600
Site: Pokerstars
Dealt to MP2:A♠ K♠
Sklansky group 1
Preflop:
UTG raises 3200 to 4800
1 players fold.
Hero raises 7690 to 12490 [ all-in ]
2 players fold.
SB raises 7690 to 20180
2 players fold.
Uncalled bet (7690) returned to SB
Total folds this street: 5
Potsize: 39070
Flop:
5♠ 6♥ 4♦
Turn:
Q♣
River:
5♣
Results:
SB shows two pair, Nines and Fives:
9♠ 9♥
Hero shows a pair of Fives:
A♠ K♠
SB collected 32430 from pot

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those are the ones you just shrug off and bang your head against the keyboard ... ;)

But they aren't 'exactly' the same, except for the race part. Not much you could do in 2nd example since you were really shortstacked. Unfortunately, unlike OP, everyone else had you more than covered. In the OP you missed a good shot at a shove pf that might have got villain off his small PP, but he was SS there too and might have called anyway.

Feel your pain though. I have a rough time getting big slick to hold too when you really need them.

NobleTruths

NobleTruths

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe your preflop play was off. You only called the raise of 600. This is a defensive action. BB read ya'll was weak, hence his raise to 3600. You should have raised that amount, and put the pressure on your opponents. BB may have called, but would have been a donk to reraise. You may still have reached the all-in point, or maybe not. Either way, in order to go deep, you must win some races.....not just "a race," you must win "some races."

Was this "THE" hand to make your stand with? Not sure. Dont know how many players left, where was ITM, where your place was, etc. But you have to face the races at some point.