What you think about this hand?

dzubis

dzubis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Basicly im BB KQo with aprox 15bb left, UTG min raise preflop to 2bb i call. Flop is K93 with 2 spades and heart, UTG i play passive all the way to bait him in and he bets 2bb once again and i call what leaves me with 9bb, turn is 5 heart again and he bets 3bb i call, river is Q making me to pair without possibility of flush, he bet me all in and i call, he had set of nines. Bad play by me or just unlucky? It was like 125 players left out of 520 with 85 in money.

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
With this stack I tend to prefer to shove with slightly better hands, although there are spots where we can call.

This obligation we have to defend the blinds is sometimes expensive, although KQo is obviously a defensible hand in the blinds (depending on table action of course).
UTG having opened, we tend to imagine that he has a great hand, like medium to high pairs, strong aces and some suit connectors both medium and broadways, but of course it depends on the stack and style of the villain.

Once you saw the flop, as your top pair hit and you were practically out of chips, I believe it would almost be fate sealed. When your second pair hits, even worse. Unfortunately you didn't have the chips to make villain fold even pre-flop for the pair of 9s he had.

So he was in a difficult situation.
One line of thought would be to hold back a little longer, depending on how well the other players' chip health was.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The KQ is a strong pair, but it is volunarable in difficult situations, because you have to deal with the AK usually. Anyway, I think that you risked too much with two pairs and instead of traping him, he traped you, because he had something better than two pairs.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I guess there was no way out since you hit top pair with good kicker and you're short on chips. Since he hit his set on flop, he wasn't going to fold anyway.

After you hit second pair, that's usually good enough if there's no straight of flush possibility since sets happen rather rare. (It's unlikely that he played JT from UTG, so we can exclude a straight.)

So it was just bad luck, not bad play imo.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think when he adds against the king and is not afraid of him, you should have understood that he has a set and after the turn I think it was worth throwing it out after adding chips, well, if you are a regular:sneaky:

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not much you can do here to be honest. Folding pre-flop was maybe an option, but i think most players are either calling or shoving in that spot. Once the flop hits, there is no-way you are getting away from the hand, especially with a low stack. It is very difficult to put players on sets. My only criticism here, is that you seem to be more focused on your hand, and trying to trap him, when in reality, he was the one doing the trapping. Always be wary, of those small-ball bets, especially, when you are checking back top pairs, what is there that can beat you, should be the questions you should ask yourself.

dzubis

dzubis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
The KQ is a strong pair, but it is volunarable in difficult situations, because you have to deal with the AK usually. Anyway, I think that you risked too much with two pairs and instead of traping him, he traped you, because he had something better than two pairs.
Dude he had no option of flush or straight. Only set. Would you fold in this situation?

dzubis

dzubis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
I think when he adds against the king and is not afraid of him, you should have understood that he has a set and after the turn I think it was worth throwing it out after adding chips, well, if you are a regular:sneaky:
I was expecting him to bet into me with anything as blinds are high and bluff is in demand.

dzubis

dzubis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Not much you can do here to be honest. Folding pre-flop was maybe an option, but i think most players are either calling or shoving in that spot. Once the flop hits, there is no-way you are getting away from the hand, especially with a low stack. It is very difficult to put players on sets. My only criticism here, is that you seem to be more focused on your hand, and trying to trap him, when in reality, he was the one doing the trapping. Always be wary, of those small-ball bets, especially, when you are checking back top pairs, what is there that can beat you, should be the questions you should ask yourself.
Yes, he trapped me well. I expected him to bluff with anything as im checking and blinds are high. Maybe could have played it different.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basicly im BB KQo with aprox 15bb left, UTG min raise preflop to 2bb i call. Flop is K93 with 2 spades and heart, UTG i play passive all the way to bait him in and he bets 2bb once again and i call what leaves me with 9bb, turn is 5 heart again and he bets 3bb i call, river is Q making me to pair without possibility of flush, he bet me all in and i call, he had set of nines. Bad play by me or just unlucky? It was like 125 players left out of 520 with 85 in money.
Preflop call is fine---Your plan was to keep in all of his bluffs-did you know this player would bluff 3 streets? Is that common on K high boards? Is the turn sizing the V used common sizing for bluffs or is it more common for nut value hands like this---It would be good to review hands by your villains to see turn bet sizing- you have a pot size bet left yet our V bluffs only 3bb? Is that common for you player pool?
on turn pot is 12 after the bet you have 9 3 to call leaving u 6- this would increase our stack by 50% if our V folds-there are now 2 flush draws-XR shove is the play on turn if the V has bluffs?
As played auto call on river now we beat AA AK and all bluffs

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that queen on the river was a cooler for you because you are now beating very strong hands like ak, or aces and because of that its very difficult to fold such a strong hand even after villain shoves. also villain could be bluffing with a missed spade or heart flush so its very reasonable to make the call on the river.

W

wengz2002

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unlucky for U in my view! You got high pair at flop and ended with high two pairs!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With stacks this short top pair vs. set is just a big cooler. The only thing, which is up for debate, is, if you should have taken a more aggressive line and put the chips in earlier. And in general I think so. People are just not bluffing enough for a passive line to be best in the long run. Depending on the number of players (UTG is not the same with 6 or 7 players as with 9) its totally reasonable to get it in preflop. And check-raising either flop or turn would generally also be better than just calling down. But of course none of this would have changed the outcome, unless he fold 99 preflop, which is unlikely.

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion it was just bad luck. Hitting the top pair on the flop with a good kicker it's almost impossible to fold. And you couldn't do anything to make him fold that set

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would have done the same thing, except for the pre-flop, because if I see that my hand has the potential for defense, it is better to go all-in right away and not leave the flop cheap for my opponent.

With this stack I tend to prefer to shove with slightly better hands, although there are spots where we can call.

This obligation we have to defend the blinds is sometimes expensive, although KQo is obviously a defensible hand in the blinds (depending on table action of course).
UTG having opened, we tend to imagine that he has a great hand, like medium to high pairs, strong aces and some suit connectors both medium and broadways, but of course it depends on the stack and style of the villain.

Once you saw the flop, as your top pair hit and you were practically out of chips, I believe it would almost be fate sealed. When your second pair hits, even worse. Unfortunately you didn't have the chips to make villain fold even pre-flop for the pair of 9s he had.

So he was in a difficult situation.
One line of thought would be to hold back a little longer, depending on how well the other players' chip health was.
Your analysis is very explanatory. I liked it a lot. I would have bet all-in pre-flop. Would it be bad?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands