What can you do...?

Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Now I tend to play SNGs quite passively at the start, wait for the idiots to bust them selves out and then I can begin to play my poker....however $5 SNG on stars (yes I know they are just a tad wild) and 8 hands have been dealt, I haven't been in a pot yet and I'm dealt this.....!!!

pokerstars Game #6357684167: Tournament #32258710, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2006/09/20 - 18:24:49 (ET)
Table '32258710 1' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: Top Gunnar (2120 in chips)
Seat 2: stickman3208 (1620 in chips)
Seat 3: JJthecat9 (2660 in chips)
Seat 4: Shogun206 (340 in chips)
Seat 5: pnutt420 (880 in chips)
Seat 6: Dr.Angryman (1450 in chips)
Seat 7: AllinBaBy330 (1380 in chips)
Seat 8: Hattori Hanzo (1440 in chips)
Seat 9: Jimjammin (1610 in chips)
Hattori Hanzo: posts small blind 10
Jimjammin: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hattori Hanzo [Ac Ks]
Top Gunnar: folds
stickman3208: folds
JJthecat9: calls 20
Shogun206: raises 320 to 340 and is all-in
pnutt420: folds
Dr.Angryman: folds
AllinBaBy330: folds
Hattori Hanzo: calls 330
Jimjammin: folds
JJthecat9: folds
*** FLOP *** [5d 9h 7c]
*** TURN *** [5d 9h 7c] Q♣
*** RIVER *** [5d 9h 7c Qc] 2♣
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Hattori Hanzo: shows [Ac Ks] (high card Ace)
Shogun206: shows [3s 3c] (a pair of Threes)
Shogun206 collected 720 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 720 | Rake 0
Board [5d 9h 7c Qc 2c]
Seat 1: Top Gunnar folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: stickman3208 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: JJthecat9 folded before Flop
Seat 4: Shogun206 showed [3s 3c] and won (720) with a pair of Threes
Seat 5: pnutt420 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Dr.Angryman folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: AllinBaBy330 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Hattori Hanzo(small blind) showed [Ac Ks] and lost with high card Ace
Seat 9: Jimjammin (big blind) folded before Flop

Now I know I went all-in with but only a drawing hand, but none the less not nice seeing AK busted out by pkt 3s....!!!!Ouch:mad:

Then 2 hands later.....Now I will just add I am far more a post flop player than a pre-flop player and as you can see I wasn't the one going all-in in either of these hands but AA, AK you just gotta go with them.

PokerStars Game #6357718232: Tournament #32258710, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2006/09/20 - 18:27:45 (ET)
Table '32258710 1' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: Top Gunnar (2090 in chips)
Seat 2: stickman3208 (1600 in chips)
Seat 3: JJthecat9 (2620 in chips)
Seat 4: Shogun206 (960 in chips)
Seat 5: pnutt420 (880 in chips)
Seat 6: Dr.Angryman (1450 in chips)
Seat 7: AllinBaBy330 (1240 in chips)
Seat 8: Hattori Hanzo (1080 in chips)
Seat 9: Jimjammin (1580 in chips)
stickman3208: posts small blind 10
JJthecat9: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hattori Hanzo [Ad As]
Shogun206: calls 20
pnutt420: raises 60 to 80
Dr.Angryman: folds
AllinBaBy330: folds
Hattori Hanzo: raises 100 to 180
Jimjammin: folds
Top Gunnar: folds
stickman3208: folds
JJthecat9: folds
Shogun206: folds
pnutt420: raises 360 to 540
Hattori Hanzo: raises 540 to 1080 and is all-in
pnutt420: calls 340 and is all-in
*** FLOP *** [8c 7h 9s]
*** TURN *** [8c 7h 9s] 6♦
*** RIVER *** [8c 7h 9s 6d] 8♥
*** SHOW DOWN ***
pnutt420: shows [Th Qh] (a straight, Six to Ten)
Hattori Hanzo: shows [Ad As] (two pair, Aces and Eights)
pnutt420 collected 1810 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1810 | Rake 0
Board [8c 7h 9s 6d 8h]
Seat 1: Top Gunnar (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: stickman3208 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: JJthecat9 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: Shogun206 folded before Flop
Seat 5: pnutt420 showed [Th Qh] and won (1810) with a straight, Six to Ten
Seat 6: Dr.Angryman folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: AllinBaBy330 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Hattori Hanzo showed [Ad As] and lost with two pair, Aces and Eights
Seat 9: Jimjammin folded before Flop (didn't bet)

I have just managed to double up twice so I'm back on about 900....however I am currently signed up for a $3 tourney on Stars and a $10 on AP.....and as this is my first game of the night and I have just had near on the best 2 starting hands busted (2nd hand what an ass making an all-in move with 10Qs...lol) I'm wondering if perhaps I should give it a miss tonight.....???

I would add as I touched on at the start, I'm not an all-in pre-flop player but you cannot lay these hands down pre-flop AK (maybe) if you are an ultra tight player but Aces, you just can't.....can ya'...?:confused:

EDIT: Just busted out AQs against pkt Qs....so looks like a night on the old PS2 for me.......!!!:mad: :D :D :mad:

Last edited:
shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play on stars quite a bit and I know how many donks there are on stars, then I started playing other sites and found that there may be less players on other sites and the prizes($) are not as high as they would be on stars or party, but there are less donks on the smaller sites and most know how to play a good game of poker.
And as for your all-ins w/AK and AA, not bad plays considering that there was only one caller on each hand, you were just unlucky at those times.
Keep your chin up and if your feeling you'll get beat by a lousy hand at this point then I think it's time for a rest, your on tilt and need a break.
BTW, welcome to the forum.

Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play on stars quite a bit and I know how many donks there are on stars,

Keep your chin up and if your feeling you'll get beat by a lousy hand at this point then I think it's time for a rest, your on tilt and need a break.
BTW, welcome to the forum.

I would have to agree, I would have to say I like AP but then I've spent so many hours on there it's like a 2nd home, as for the tilt thing sound advice, I don't like to think of myself as a player who goes on tilt (who of us does...:D ) but after this game tonight I was able to remind myself (once I dusted it down) what a great invention the old PS2 is...lol:D

Thanks for the welcome shine :)

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad luck, a few things on both hands.

Hand 1 : Re-raise to isolate the guy thats all in, there is still 2 players to act behind you.

Hand 2 : You didnt re-raise enough, it looked like a weak raise to me, make it 250 chips to see the flop. Hes getting odds to call with any 2 cards, as it transpired he more than likely thought you were playing a mid pair, thats the way a lot of $5 players on stars raise with 88-JJ.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1 : Re-raise to isolate the guy thats all in, there is still 2 players to act behind you.
Just thinking aloud...

Is an isolation play necessary here? I'd do it with a high pair which loses its value multi-way, but I wouln't mind too much being up against another opponent with AK. Either you're going to hit an A or K or you're not.

On second thoughts... I suppose actually there's more point in an isolation play with AK against one person all-in, than with a high pair, because with AK you want to see all the cards to give yourself the best chance of making a hand. With AA or KK you can be more sure that you have the best hand on the flop and bet to cut down the action, so it's worth the risk of letting in another opponent. With a medium pair like TT or JJ you'd want to isolate due the risk of overpairs on the flop.

Hand 2 : You didnt re-raise enough, it looked like a weak raise to me, make it 250 chips to see the flop. Hes getting odds to call with any 2 cards, as it transpired he more than likely thought you were playing a mid pair, thats the way a lot of $5 players on stars raise with 88-JJ.
I agree, raise should be bigger, but it worked out perfectly because he got his opponent all-in against his AA pre-flop, which is what you want.

Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad luck, a few things on both hands.

On the first one maybe a isolation bet would have been the way to go however with just the BB and UTG player left to call I figured if the all-in is on a pkt pair maybe I could get calls from the 2 players left leaving me some value in the pot if I wasn't to hit and likewise neither do they....but in hindsight an isolation bet would have been the right play so my hand didn't get crushed by all 3 players.:)

I would have to respectfully disagree my friend...I have already raised 5x the BB on top of his 4x BB it's right at the start of the game and there is 5 people to act after me, I wouldn't limp with aces but I didn't want to scare any of the next 5 players off the pot so yet again I'm aiming for a call off any of them...I don't think that the raise at that stage of the game (blinds 10/20) is a weak raise I'm telling them I have a hand also, but I still want ya to call.....anybody that is going to make a all-in raise with 10Qs is going to call anything regardless of play before IMO, even if he puts me on an ace he knows that he is gambling, he got lucky I didn't need to....!:(

Thanks for the input guys, all food for thought....:)

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-raising with AA is partly for value, and partly as an isolation play. Ideally you want to be heads-up with AA. At the end of the day all you have is a pair, while the theory with AK suited is that, along with top pair/top kicker, it will also make nut flushes and straights, which will win big pots against multiple opponents. Plus if there are any 2 cards of your suit on the flop, you're usually favourite to win with the flush draw and overcards giving you 15 outs. So play hands like AK suited multi-way and hope to see cheap flops, and re-raise big / isolate with AA. Unless they're all-in, in which case isolate with AK.