What would you have done

C

chaosicq

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive had a bit of time to play over the last couple of weeks which i don't normally get :( , i entered a total of 5 tournaments and managed to win 2 and final table 4/5 of them, the thing is they really got harder and harder to win and the 5th won i crashed out with these 2 hands consecutively but could it have gone down any differently ?

okay sitting pretty in 5th spot with roughly 19k 70 players left

my whole cards pocket 10s small blind 300 big blind 600 small blind my right perfect position, me to bet i raise to 2k and get called by big blind and the flop comes 3 5 8 of suit and the big blind moves all in total 11k i make the call and he has ak and gets a k one the river.

very next hand i have ak suited and and a player pus me all in to call i do so and he holding aq and catches a q on the river.

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C'mon, you can't be doubting your play in either hand, you have an overpair to the board and have just seen a ridiculous overbet of the pot that rarely happens with a set, you have to call, likewise with your shorter stack you aren't folding AKs pre-flop.

That is poker my friend, don't doubt your moves because you got dogged.

yowtfbuck

yowtfbuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would've done the same thing. Sad thing is..same thing has been happening to me constantly. I get my chips all in with an overpair like your situation and find my self up against two over cards...they don't even wait to river me anymore. They usually just burn me on the turn.

R

rStormChaser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is completely standard, you got your money in with the best hand and simply got unlucky, just keep making these calls and in the long run you'll show a profit.

C

chaosicq

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess what i was really annoyed about regaurding this hand is that i really like to avoid confrontations of this nature (i always like to have control), to go from 5th place to crashing out in 2 hands felt like the software it's self was saying enough is enough (i want you out) , and thats the type of method it uses and very effectivly too and not the first time this has happend and i'm sure it won't be the last either.

52poutanes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you havent done anything wrong here....if u keep playing those same hands in the same way you will be way ahead in the long run....the only question i have is, its not impossible to fold your 10's here depending on the player...he could have smooth called with a higher pair here in the bb...something to be wary of

C

chaosicq

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you havent done anything wrong here....if u keep playing those same hands in the same way you will be way ahead in the long run....the only question i have is, its not impossible to fold your 10's here depending on the player...he could have smooth called with a higher pair here in the bb...something to be wary of

Yes absolulutly could have folded fearing a bigger over pair but my instinct and his recent play told me to call, an assumption that was obviously correct at the time.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes absolulutly could have folded fearing a bigger over pair but my instinct and his recent play told me to call, an assumption that was obviously correct at the time.

I agree. Shoving with AK is a pretty common play online after a flop like that. If you don't have a pocket pair you have to fold and if you do chances are he will have 2 over cards and still a chance to win. Not saying it's the right or best play just that I see it online alot.

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK then if you are in the villians shoes with AK with that board do you shove? I guess what I'm asking is that I, like you, do see that play a lot....is it a smart poker move?

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK then if you are in the villians shoes with AK with that board do you shove? I guess what I'm asking is that I, like you, do see that play a lot....is it a smart poker move?

To me I say, that depends. A lot of that is read depended as far as what he believes you would do or what kind of range he has you on. Of course most online players that shove AK on a missed flop don't do it bassed on reads and such. This is what i think the thinking is:

I have AK, third best hand right I should win.
Flop missed, well I had the third best hand so this is my pot, I shove, nobody can beat AK IT'S THE THIRD BEST HAND DAMNIT.

P

PoSInC

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually AK i not the third best hand btw....anw it happens you loose hand you should win but you also win hands you should loose its all about odds call when you think you on top as you did on the long run youll win more

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually AK i not the third best hand btw....anw it happens you loose hand you should win but you also win hands you should loose its all about odds call when you think you on top as you did on the long run youll win more

Well it depends on who you talk too, some have it third others have it a little lower. Still the ame mindset though.