What would you do?

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in a $5 double up with 6 players left and was dealt AK in the BB. It folds around to SB who was big stack who pushes all in
Hand#2821A053E4000034 - $5 NLH Double-up T10507236 -- CASH -- $5 + $0.35 -- 10 Max -- Table 1 -- 15/75/150 NL Hold'em -- 2011/12/26 - 08:19:43
Dealer: Seat 1
Seat 1: llxhfk (2,020 in chips)
Seat 2: MuIIIa (5,198 in chips)
Seat 3: RTODTO (2,880 in chips)
Seat 6: niksy7919 (2,780 in chips)
Seat 7: squadldr (997 in chips)
Seat 9: UTAHockey19 (1,125 in chips)
llxhfk: posts ante of 15
MuIIIa: posts ante of 15
RTODTO: posts ante of 15
niksy7919: posts ante of 15
squadldr: posts ante of 15
UTAHockey19: posts ante of 15
MuIIIa: posts small blind 75
RTODTO: posts big blind 150
Dealt to RTODTO [Kh,Ah]
niksy7919: folds
squadldr: folds
UTAHockey19: folds
llxhfk: folds
MuIIIa: is all in 5,108

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is this a 10 handed one, what number of people get paid?

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont really play these, but im guessing the short stacks make this a fold even if big stack is shoving ATC

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely a fold, you're in a virtual tie for second, with three people at less than 10 adjusted bb's. The likelihood of you making the money is just too great to justify risking your tournament life here. Put another way, the chips you'd gain in this spot will not give you a significant edge, compared to the position you're in now. If you fold now, the odds are someone else will go out before you. I know that sounds passive and weak, but in a DoN, more often than not, that's the way to go (which is why lots of people don't like to play them).

Also - this is not related to the hand - posts like this belong in the Hand Analysis section. This sub-forum is really nice, as it helps you create a really descriptive title, and it clears the tournament forum for more general discussions of strategy. I've gone ahead and moved this thread, but now you know what to do in the future :)

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank You

Definitely a fold, you're in a virtual tie for second, with three people at less than 10 adjusted bb's. The likelihood of you making the money is just too great to justify risking your tournament life here. Put another way, the chips you'd gain in this spot will not give you a significant edge, compared to the position you're in now. If you fold now, the odds are someone else will go out before you. I know that sounds passive and weak, but in a DoN, more often than not, that's the way to go (which is why lots of people don't like to play them).

Also - this is not related to the hand - posts like this belong in the Hand Analysis section. This sub-forum is really nice, as it helps you create a really descriptive title, and it clears the tournament forum for more general discussions of strategy. I've gone ahead and moved this thread, but now you know what to do in the future :)

Thank you now I know;)

I did lay it down for all the reasons you mentioned. The short stack went all in next hand and it was over.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good fold. What stack size are you people starting to call here? ~1500 chips?

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 different ranges

I would call if I were shortest stack on table and in serious danger of being the next out. I would also call if he was short stack and the loss would not make a huge impact on my stack.

Dactal13

Dactal13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If this is carbon poker the top five get paid, in which i also would def. fold! All u need is for one more SS to go out and its not worth u going against the chip leader and risking cashin out... Good fold, tough to let go but definitely a good fold!!!!

L

LaserCats

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This seems obvious to me - u basically have Ace high and risk being crushed and losing the chip advantage u cureenlty have. The better question here is... Y would you cal...ever? Well...I can think of only one or two. You want to show the rest of the table you will call them down if they shove. #2 You have an incredible read on Ax (maybe he chatted something, behaved a certain way)....Or non reasons would be: You have to leave, ur internet is going down, etc and you need the chips to fold into the money. Or - you are on tilt and hate this player (big stacks can be a fking pain and ruin your fun by not letting you play your AK, 88, etc.). Now what if every person with less chips then you calls all in and the the big stack calls. IF they bust out at the same time as you - you with the higher chip stack would place higher - in the money. If you beat the big stack lose to a small stack your still in and u may only have to beat 1 person to get in the money. Just a fun situation to speculate and gamble a lil for fun - specially if u want the the big stack out of your way.

L

LaserCats

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just noticed top 5 get paid? You only have to beat 1 poerson?? Go to bed, lock your keyboard, run away so you dont do anything stupid. You are going to win 75% of the time in ur position just folding. If there 7 or 8 people left see my last comment - still an easy lay down.

D

DEdwardsNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never calling here unless I am the one sitting with <1000 chips...

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why these DON tournaments are sooo boring and takes the fun out of poker in my opinion, folding A,K is laughable but obviously in this spot you have to fold based on how these ridiculous forms of poker works ;)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Snap fold, not even close.
Even remotely considering calling here is a HUGE mistake!!! (aka f'n TERRIBLE!!!!!!!)
This is why these DON tournaments are sooo boring and takes the fun out of poker in my opinion, folding A,K is laughable but obviously in this spot you have to fold based on how these ridiculous forms of poker works ;)
'but' at the same time this is what makes them profitable. I mean if a guy who is a good poker player (Cali) is actually posting this HH & asking this question, then imo it shows how +ev these games are (although many who play in them are pretty well-versed in playing DoNs at least compared to how they were when they were first introduced).

freeringo

freeringo

2019-20-21 League Champs
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have to agree with jbbb, folding in early play is always a good thing when the betting is too high

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy fold...
only call with aa...maybe