What would you do???

R

RiverRuin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stacks: - IRSHEYE with 7114 - RiverRuin with 7802 - Dorian71 with 10462 - donjo1805 with 1622

index.pl

index.pl

Blinds: 600/1200
Site: pokerstars
* - Dealt to RiverRuin:
8s.gif
js.gif

* - Sklansky group 6
Preflop:
**- 2 players fold.
* - irsheye calls [600]
* - RiverRuin: checks
* - Total folds this street: 2
* - Potsize: 2400
Flop:
6h.gif
7h.gif
5h.gif

* - IRSHEYE: checks
Turn:
7d.gif

* - IRSHEYE: checks
River:
8d.gif

* - irsheye bets [1200]
* - IRSHEYE collected 2700 from pot
* - 1 players folded.
* - Total folds this street: 1

I have top pair, but there are 3 hearts onboard as well as 4 to a straight. Shaky odds. Would you gamble on this, particularly given my stack size and the relative affordability of a call, with the hunch the bettor is trying to steal?

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have bet the flop after being checked to.... But that's just me. When things get down short handed, I blow my load on pretty much every hand :D.

As played, I think we can call this. You won't be left in a bad spot if you're beat, and you do have a hand worth showing down. Besides, donjo is probably going to bubble out shortly, and we'll be in the money if top 3 get paid. Villain's range is just STUPID huge here.

R

RiverRuin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There were 4 places paid in this tourney, so we were all in the money. As it turned out the player I was up against in this hand, IRSHEYE, was next out. In the following hands I all-inned donjo twice and had him dominated, once flopping T/J/Q with K/A, but he had an A too and a K hit on the river, and on the other 2 pair hit the board so we chopped both. Then I all-inned against the other player with a dominant hand and went out in 3rd.

pokerjdud

pokerjdud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ahhh i would have simply because, small blind or not, a good player wouldnt play the doopers it would take to make that straight :)

SubT33

SubT33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you made the right move by folding. Someone more aggressive might have bet the flop or turn, but with you wanting to see your draw possibility cheaply, I can dig you not betting.

ahhh i would have simply because, small blind or not, a good player wouldnt play the doopers it would take to make that straight :)

He got into the pot cheaply, maybe he had 89 or 9T. He also might have had two crap heart cards, and slow played to the river, same with 56s. Each of these hands I also would have seen a flop with just as IrshEye did. He probably would have raised you preflop if he had you outkicked, holding A8 K8 Q8. But a weak player not realizing the strength of these preflop holdings shorthanded might just complete. I think you made the right move.

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you made the right play. 8 9 / 9 10 would be playable here as small blind as sub said even A 8. Then again it could be a steal attempt (but why so low?). Anyways a bet post flop might have been real interesting;)

Yip odds too shaky to get involved....fold it!!!!

Well Done on the finish

PS what stakes were you playing? and how did you rate villain?

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you gotta call there. That last bet looks to me like, "Maybe if I bet he will fold and I will fold to any raise and not be hurt."

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with pigpen, this does look a lot like a stealing bet so i call aswell. But as for the hand, id raise pre flop after he has limped showing no real strength, i bet flop after he checks stating he doesnt have much, i bet turn once again without him showing strength, i then call that river bet.

T

tzuvsgrant

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good fold. There really isnt a hand you can beat but a bluff.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good fold. There really isnt a hand you can beat but a bluff.

The fact that we can beat a bluff is the reason for calling based on it is just as likely this is a bluff, as it is likely villain has a hand. We dont only beat a bluff either, if he has a pair of sixes he may be having a stab at the pot, or a pair of 5's

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd have bet the OESD on the flop - in this situation, it's as good a hand as you can hope for, and there's every chance villain hands you the pot right there.

As played though... I don't really like any option, especially with your stack size relative to the blinds. If we call and lose we're down to just 5600. We beat a five, a six, a bluff, and that's about it. On the other hand, I'd expect hands better than that to do more than minbet here.

So I probably call this, though there's maybe an argument for folding on the basis that Donjo will be all in blind within a couple of hands and we'll get a guaranteed bump in the payout - depends on your win vs cash philosophy, I guess.

(I assume from the stack sizes it's a two-table tourney and we're in the money already, BTW)

HoldemChamp

HoldemChamp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There as an arguement to bet out the flop representing the flush. But, then again it's pretty weak. You would be checking here to hope he catches up not betting out. A bet would seem suspicious at this point if you think about it. The 7 on the turn was not a good card to see. At this point you have worry about even more hands beating your nothing. I think you have to venture a bet here to see where you stand. If you don't you are going into the river completely in the dark. The river improves your hand. Problem what you are getting as a read from this player. You have almost not information at this point. Had you bet the turn he might have checked the river to you giving you either the opporutunity to put him to a big decision or just checking behind and seeing what he has.

SubT33

SubT33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to venture a bet here to see where you stand. If you don't you are going into the river completely in the dark. The river improves your hand. Problem what you are getting as a read from this player. You have almost not information at this point. Had you bet the turn he might have checked the river to you giving you either the opporutunity to put him to a big decision or just checking behind and seeing what he has.

Nice point. A post flop bet will give you info and help you on the river. As for those who think this is a bluff and therefore should call, why not come over the top of IRSHEYE? Your cards have him beat right? On top of that maybe he'll fold and you can win without a showdown. But I still don't like calling in this situation. If you're going to call, you might as well raise.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As for those who think this is a bluff and therefore should call, why not come over the top of IRSHEYE? Your cards have him beat right?

Because we don't know that we have him beat and if we raise (and really, there's not much you can do other than shove here) we're only getting called by a better hand. There's no value to be had in it.

If we just call, aside from avoiding the above problem, we'll also still have enough chips left to hopefully shore up third place if we lose this hand. And if we shove and lose, we'll be pretty much all-in in the small blind next hand, and we might end up out in fourth rather than third.

R

RiverRuin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey this is GREAT feedback here, I've been here two days and already love this place! Very knowledgable players and great info.

This was a low limit SnG, $1.50+.25. What I'm reduced to after years of being hammered, but what the hey, it's action.

I'd thought villian was trying to steal since he bet the minimum on the river, so I was strongly tempted to call since I had a pair. But with the flush and open-ended straight possibilities, the odds looked shaky.

Anyway, thanks MUCH for all the imput!

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There as an arguement to bet out the flop representing the flush. But, then again it's pretty weak.

I know this thread is over but i jsut wanted to respond to this. You would be leading out on that flop after a check from villain opening the door for you to steal and you still have oesd and over cards to fall back on. A bet on that flop probably wouldnt look weak as you said aswell, would actualyl look pretty strong leading out on a drawy board like that

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This might just be me, but I would've pushed here. SB isnt showing a lot of strength PF. Its 4 handed with blinds of 600/1200, leaving us with an M of 4.3, folding the BB leaves us with an M of 3.6. That doesnt exactly give us a lot of time to wait for a good hand to push with. I'd be willing to gamble here for the pot. A small increase in pot size is good. Again, this is just how I would play so dont flame me if its 'bad' advice.

Also, I think the river fold was fine. There are too many hands SB could be holding that beats yours at this point.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Push Pre flop (He folds 80% of the time, and you pick up an extra 1200 chips).
2) Bet flop (in my experience, betting out at a flop like that [all of one suit] you will only be called/raised by the flush/flush draw, everything else folds her IMO).
3) Bet Turn (He is showing no strength at all, just bet the turn and then fold to any raise).
4) Call River (he is bluffing).

Incorrectly played throughout IMO.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have bet the flop after being checked to.... But that's just me.

I agree with this statement. I would also bet after the flop being he checked it. There was enough in the pot that it should've made you want to bet @ it. He i'm sure would've folded if you bet on the flop.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey this is GREAT feedback here, I've been here two days and already love this place! Very knowledgable players and great info.

This was a low limit SnG, $1.50+.25. What I'm reduced to after years of being hammered, but what the hey, it's action.

I'd thought villian was trying to steal since he bet the minimum on the river, so I was strongly tempted to call since I had a pair. But with the flush and open-ended straight possibilities, the odds looked shaky.

Anyway, thanks MUCH for all the imput!

Told you it was a cool place. You will have to play in the next re-buy we do together.

M

mavrick09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Checking just hurts you, you will never know where he's at on that hand, you may lose alittle but gain alot of info

kesza

kesza

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raised a minimum on the flop, but at least on the turn! It's a mistake to let him the chance to bluffing you out on the river with possibly nothing.

R

RiverRuin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Next rebuy

Told you it was a cool place. You will have to play in the next re-buy we do together.

You tuned me in to this site while we were playing in the $3 rebuy that starts at 11:15 on PS. I'll be there tomorrow, maybe Sunday too. Catch ya then!

R

RiverRuin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realize I played this hand a bit too tight/conservative. Will have to work on that. Thanks for the comments!