What should I have done?

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK so I am in a Cake 50$ freeroll(playing to get used to it for CCs upcoming events)

240 register....and i make it to the final 11...top 7 go to the next tourney

these are about the chip stacks from bigest to smallest...

9.15k(me)

ok since about the final 20 people the 200k Chip leader was pushing every hand, nomatter what, he got called by AQ, 10 10, and AA, and he won all of them eventually getting us to the final 11....

I get AK twice the first time i fold and the second time i call.....He has J 3....i was happy right....well he hit a 3 on the river.....whomp

so my qustion is with my chipstack and position to get 7th should i have tried to survive or dont you tink i would have survived(most likely others will just fold and wait it out)?

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, imo u shouldnt be playing to just get itm, u should play for the win
u had to play for stacks with AK against such an aggro/donk player

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You only need to worry about playing to get ITM since all 7 places pay the same. With your stack you need to win at least 5K to make things interesting. IMHO shove AK if 1st to act and def call big stacks shove w/ AK. Big stack is right in shoving ATC with this kind of chip lead as bottom 3 have to win at least 1 pot to survive and #2,3,4 in chips can just sit back and enjoy the show.

W

wobuffet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO shove AK if 1st to act and def call big stacks shove w/ AK. Big stack is right in shoving ATC with this kind of chip lead as bottom 3 have to win at least 1 pot to survive and #2,3,4 in chips can just sit back and enjoy the show.

I agree; I would call bigstacks with 99+, AK, AQ and non-bigstacks with KK+ (maybe QQ?), AK

D

danman7373

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it all comes down to how high the blinds were. If you could've sat tight comfortably for awhile longer without blinding off a ton of chips, I'd have folded. I'd be folding pretty much any two cards besides probably AA/KK, and waiting to see if the chip leader knocked off a couple more people. If you are acting later and a shorter stack pushes, I don't mind the call with AK, but you don't want to risk your tourney life against one of the few people that can cover you, up against what could easily be a coinflip or a 60-40 shot. Granted, if your cards hold up, you could sit out all the way to the money, but still, probably not worth the risk.