What should I do?

I

Isaac13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Where about an hour and a half into the tournament. The average chipstack is about 30 BB's and i have 24 BB's. Im in freeroll, at a table of nine(including me) that is mostly loose players. I'm in the big blind and get dealt 8S and 8C. 4 people call the big blind before me.

I just checked cause i figured that if i raised, multiple be people would still call and 8's are not that strong against a lot of oppponents. The flop come 4,5,6 all hearts. I'm first to act. I bet about 4 BB's to protect my hand and then i get raised 8 more BB's by the person right behind me, two people call and one folds, what should i do? The pot is at 45 and a half BB's and i need to put in 8 BB's to call. If i fold im at 19 BB's which i guess is ok, theres no point in just calling so should i go all in?

I ended up folding, not getting any good hands and losing about 45 minutes later out of the money.

That was a big pot and if i would have won it I would have been in great position to make the money.

Should i have gone all in right after the flop?

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you post the hh into the tournament analysis section of the forum, people will look over it and give you advice

I

Isaac13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, im still figuring out this website

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Isaac, I will move this over to the Hand Analysis section. Welcome to Cardschat. :)

MogoMongoose

MogoMongoose

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flop had way too many drawing opportunities, especially for a freeroll in which people will take anything to the river. I usually always take into consideration the fact that one of the other callers had to have another pocket pair. If he has over 88, you're crushed AND don't have a heart. If he has under 88 it could ONLY have been 22, 33, or 77 or you're crushed. I think a fold was the right call..

Especially considering that you were still a bit of a healty stack after folding. The fact that you dwindled away is just a run of bad luck I suppose..

A

altruist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should i have gone all in right after the flop?

Nope I think you made the right move. 3 callers, you had no hearts, there were two draws that could easily beat you.

If you had a 8 of heart, pushing might have been the correct move. That way if someone was straight drawing and missed, you have the flush. If someone had two pair, you have both an inside straight draw and a flush draw.

On that board, you were likely at least worse than a coin-flip against those opponents who might have called you.

There are two things you might have done differently, both with their own advantages and disadvantages.
1. Check/fold. You're already short-stacked.
Advantage: Keeps you in the game, the board IS scary, and you're short-stacked and won't waste any more chips. You called and got close to the worse possible flop. (worse would probably be 3 over cards, same suit)
Disadvantage: If you had the best hand, you would've wasted it. You're short-stacked and there's the possibility that if you pushed all-in, the only hand that calls you could double you up.
2. All-in.
Advantage: You're short-stacked and there's the possibility that if you pushed all-in, the only hand that calls you could double you up. Additionally everyone could fold if no one has 2 hearts or wants to draw against you.
Disadvantage: Very risky board, someone could call you with a flush draw, and an OESD would have the right odds to call behind you, making it VERY likely for you to get eliminated. No real way to protect yourself against this, and it's VERY likely for those two draws to be out there.

Overall, if you're worried about what hand got you eliminated, this wasn't it. Could be that one hand in the SB with 25o you could've had folding equity with, but not this one. Could also be tough luck, and nothing could've saved you.

I've had a tournament where I played about 6 hands, and every single hand I was outdrawn or beat when I had top pair or better. I was eliminated with triples at the end when I pushed all-in and got back-door flush drawn. Sometimes it just happens. True, I might have stayed alive if I bluffed with a very weak hand, but I'd probably feel like crap if I lost that way.

Last edited: