What do think about way I played this?

U

umofo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From today's freeroll on stars.
I had no read on the big stack. He just joined the table a few hands back and this is the first hand he was seriously involved in.
pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

MP3 (t1400)
CO (t3900)
Button (t14075)
Hero (t10195)
BB (t140)
UTG (t24443)
UTG+1 (t4085)
MP1 (t5355)
MP2 (t120)

Preflop:
ad.gif
ad.gif
Hero is SB with Ad(pic won't show!),
tc.gif
UTG: calls t200, 6 folds, Hero completes, 1 fold.

Flop: (t340)
td.gif
5d.gif
7c.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t1000, UTG calls t1000.

Turn: (t2340)
js.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t1500, UTG calls t1500.

River: (t5340)
9c.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets t3000, Hero calls t3000.

Final Pot: t11340

Will post the results after a few replies.

KenFischer

KenFischer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ea) Use the CC hand converter ;)

Poker Hand History Converter Tool

b) Why would you let UTG limp here? Quite often this is done so that when someone reraises they can come over the top - A 3-4xBB raise seems warranted and is unlikely to get them to fold.

EDIT:
Ok, I misread and thought you had AA, not ATo. See, use the CC hand history converter ;)

I still think you need to raise pre-flop to define UTG's hand. Once you overbet the flop and get called, either they are drawing to the flush, or you are behind with TP. You're also putting a lot of money into a hand when it's not really that strong and you don't know where you stand. I'm raising pre-flop, betting 2/3 of the pot on the flop, and slowing down a lot when I get flat called.

U

umofo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
a) Use the CC hand converter ;)

Poker Hand History Converter Tool

b) Why would you let UTG limp here? Quite often this is done so that when someone reraises they can come over the top - A 3-4xBB raise seems warranted and is unlikely to get them to fold.
Sorry will use CC hand converter next time :)

I was out of position and would have folded on the flop if I didn't hit. So I didn't want to reraise. I think I sometimes play too passive preflop... So I should have raised here? But I don't think he would have folded.

EDIT:
Ok, I misread and thought you had AA, not ATo. See, use the CC hand history converter ;)

I still think you need to raise pre-flop to define UTG's hand. Once you overbet the flop and get called, either they are drawing to the flush, or you are behind with TP. You're also putting a lot of money into a hand when it's not really that strong and you don't know where you stand. I'm raising pre-flop, betting 2/3 of the pot on the flop, and slowing down a lot when I get flat called.
EDIT:
I overbet because wanted him to fold the draw (if he had one). On reflection, I would have bet about 600-800 if my phone wasn't ringing at the time I made the decision!

Thanks for your view!

Last edited:
Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why do you want him to fold a draw?

U

umofo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
why do you want him to fold a draw?
Erm... I'm a bit of a fish... that's why... I didn't actually know he was on a draw, was just one possibility, I also though he might have a lowish pocket pair as he didn't raise preflop... overbetting is a wrong thing to do then I guess?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there's a time and a place for overbetting, but it's generally for the exact opposite reason of that you stated ('to get him to fold a draw'). :)

look at it this way. we make money in poker from our opponents mistakes. if we overbet here, should he have a draw we are making it easier for him to make the correct decision (fold). we only want to overbet here if we have a line on villain that makes us think (a) he has a draw and (b) he's willing to call or shove over overbets with a draw. otherwise, a 3/4 pot to pot-sized bet works just fine, as villain would be more likely to call such a bet, but would (generally) be making a mistake by doing so.

U

umofo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there's a time and a place for overbetting, but it's generally for the exact opposite reason of that you stated ('to get him to fold a draw'). :)

look at it this way. we make money in poker from our opponents mistakes. if we overbet here, should he have a draw we are making it easier for him to make the correct decision (fold). we only want to overbet here if we have a line on villain that makes us think (a) he has a draw and (b) he's willing to call or shove over overbets with a draw. otherwise, a 3/4 pot to pot-sized bet works just fine, as villain would be more likely to call such a bet, but would (generally) be making a mistake by doing so.
Thanks... I will try not to make same mistake in the future :)

What hand range would you be putting him on after seeing the flop?
(given that I have already made the mistake by not raising preflop)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He likely has something (be it a made hand or draw) given the flop call - even in a freeroll an unknown is unlikely to float in position with overcards or suchlike here against such a huge overbet.

diamonds/AT-JT/A7/98s/set forms his likely hands, however I suppose AA-88 is possible too, especially seeing as it's a freeroll.

Given that we're out of position I probably check the turn for pot control, even though we're giving him a free card if he does have a draw (we've already kind of made up for this by hugely overbetting the flop, heh!). As played, the river is awkward - we're beating nothing but a bluff, but missed draws will bluff a lot there. I veer towards folding, though.

U

umofo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It turned out he had pocket 8s and consequently made an inside straight on the river :( Even after the overbetting, I should have folded when he bet on the river, but I was too curious to see what he had :( Thanks for the input guys :)