Weak play with AK?

A

Aleeki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi again. Trying to plug some major leaks so you will probably see lots of hand histories posted. All help appreciated.

I think I played this very weak. Villian very loose, seeing about 71% of flops according to PT. (71/23/0.5)

pokerstars (Tournament): $5 + $0.50, 8 players
Mon Feb 25 03:34:25 NZDT 2008
Powered by Poker Academy (Format: HTML)

FloryD7 ($2,520)
petrostarama ($560)
Devil_Orgy ($1,075)
Glad!ator ($4,695)
Aleeki ($2,445)
EternityZero ($1,105)
~oneAAtime~ ($3,455)
Freckle8 ($2,315)

Freckle8 is the button.

Precards:
FloryD7 posts the small blind $25, petrostarama posts the big blind $50.

Preflop: Aleeki is dealt A K (8 active)
Devil_Orgy folds, Glad!ator calls $50, Aleeki raises to $250, 4 folds, petrostarama calls $200, Glad!ator calls $200.

Flop: 6 8 5 ($775, 3 active)
petrostarama checks, Glad!ator bets $300, 2 folds.

Final Pot: $775
Aleeki, net: -$250, Folded Flop, has A K (Ace High)
Glad!ator, net: $525, Won uncontested Flop
petrostarama, net: -$250, Folded Flop
FloryD7, net: -$25, Folded Preflop

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's often the first one in that gets these orphan pots, which is why I sometimes think position advantage is overstated - he's made the play you were probably going to make, and has got the pot.

To be honest this is pretty much guesswork;

is he making a bluff at the pot? - How many hands has he played post flop?

could he have connected with the flop? - playing 71% of hands he could have pretty much anything, and could easily have paired up.

Would he lay down a mid-range hand to an all in? - that's down to your own observations really.

You've only got Ace high, and 6 outs (24%) chance of improving if behind. You could be ahead of course, but you'll be putting your tourney on the line if you go over the top of him.

Probably safer to fold, some players will just run continuously hot you have to accept that and be patient.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given you have position, I would probably call his flop bet and attack if he checks the turn, fold if he shoots a second bullet.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless you have a great read on the opponent, I fold. You are in good position stack wise and you really don't want to commit more chips to what could easily be a dead hand. You thinned the field properly preflop and the flop was a very poor one for you, let it go and be hoping for the exact same hand to come up again where you can check raise the opponent when you do hit.

merenoise

merenoise

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Jilly, despite his weak values all you have here is ace high so any pair beats you unless you draw out and since he is loose he could have hit the board hard enough to have you drawing dead. Unless you had seen him frequently back down from big (all in in this case) raises this is a clear fold.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's often the first one in that gets these orphan pots, which is why I sometimes think position advantage is overstated - he's made the play you were probably going to make, and has got the pot.

AK IMO is a very overated hand. Your raise and the flop gave rise to the situation you were in. Rob hit it right about the play. I know I play AK a lot different than other players here. I'll play it just for the blind. IMO it's better to build with it than lose with it. When you put a bet like that out there and it doesn't connect, what do you do? It's a very tricky starting hand.

K

khand

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
According to T.J. Cloutier and Tom McEvoy, AK is a must-fold hand after the first-in vigorish has been exploited and you have no whatsoever pair. So i think the fold in the hand was indeed correct.