Unsure Hand

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was not able to get a hand history or picture but i had Qd Qc Preflop the blinds were 300-600 with a 60 ante i had roughly 26k in the $7.50 big on pokerstars and i raised it up preflop UTG to 1450 and it folded around to the small blind who 3 bet to 3575 he had me covered with about 45 k bb folded so here's where it got tricky for me im not a pro so i was not sure about a 4 bet or just call and evaluate , i decided to just call and i flopped gin (so i thought)
the flop was Qs Jh 9c , he checked and i checked behind here again i probably should of bet but again im just learning so anyway the turn card was the 6h and he checked again so i finally bet at this point the pot roughly 7,900 so i bet 4700 and he snapped raised im not even kidding he snapped raised so quick i could not even blink thats how quick it was anyway snapped raised me all in so at this point all he has Is K10 right so i thought for a bout 40 seconds and called he had 7c 8c and he rivered a 5h which give him a freaking straight i am unsure if i played this correctly if theres any sharks who could give me a idea thanks

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was not able to get a hand history or picture but i had Qd Qc Preflop the blinds were 300-600 with a 60 ante i had roughly 26k in the $7.50 big on pokerstars and i raised it up preflop UTG to 1450 and it folded around to the small blind who 3 bet to 3575 he had me covered with about 45 k bb folded so here's where it got tricky for me im not a pro so i was not sure about a 4 bet or just call and evaluate , i decided to just call and i flopped gin (so i thought)
the flop was Qs Jh 9c , he checked and i checked behind here again i probably should of bet but again im just learning so anyway the turn card was the 6h and he checked again so i finally bet at this point the pot roughly 7,900 so i bet 4700 and he snapped raised im not even kidding he snapped raised so quick i could not even blink thats how quick it was anyway snapped raised me all in so at this point all he has Is K10 right so i thought for a bout 40 seconds and called he had 7c 8c and he rivered a 5h which give him a freaking straight i am unsure if i played this correctly if theres any sharks who could give me a idea thanks

A couple notes about this hand. Flatting the 3 bet is good here if you are playing your whole UTG opening range as a call here. Meaning you are calling A10 and also KK/AA. If you are 4 betting AA and KK though which I'm guessing you are, then it is important we four bet QQ because you never want to have a range which is exclusively KK/AA. We generally want to have a range of QQ+/AK for four bets so that our opponent can't just put us on an exact hand post flop and print money against us by exploitably folding JJ in that spot against us when we do four bet. So I think there's strong arguments for both lines preflop but it all comes down to how you want to play your range rather than that specific holding. On the flop, check is ok if you are checking back your whole range, but if you are sometimes betting as a steal attempt when checked to and or are betting your entire range on this board then we should be betting here. Now generally speaking I like betting here when checked too because this is a flop which generally is good for the 3 bettor range. If the flop has been 27Q we should check because we are way out in front of the 3 bettors range. Turn is just standard you can never fold especially when considering your redraw outs to a boat vs made straights.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have raised atleast 2100-2400 preflop. I definitely would have bet the flop if not shoved given the straight potential. You gave too many chances for your opponent to see cheap cards and free cards.

Now that I read it again I would 4bet shoved.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have raised atleast 2100-2400 preflop. I definitely would have bet the flop if not shoved given the straight potential. You gave too many chances for your opponent to see cheap cards and free cards.

Now that I read it again I would 4bet shoved.

3.5-4BB is way too big online from UTG. 2.2x is standard open sizing at this stack depth. 4BB is fine for a live UTG open in a cash game but hero's sizing here for the open is great

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise more initially,( my standard raise is 4BBs ), and with no doubts 4 bet, probably all-in. I'm never afraid of winning right there because it is always better to win a small pot than lose a big one.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, my standard online raise is pot, since that button is right there at ACR, which is 3.5BBs.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And I switch to 3/4 pot when the blinds get big.

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lesson learned thanks all for the input im going to read about online versus live poker hopefully it helps out abit

fiddlesticks123

fiddlesticks123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah you should've bet the flop, the board was too dangerous to give him a free card. Villain just got lucky but a sizeable bet on the flop would have taken it down unless villain was a fish and liked calling to gut shots. Bad luck.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My default in this size buyin and format would be to just 4bet jam, but I'm okay with the flat, especially as Jblocher says if you are flatting most or all of your UTG opening range (and not 4betting anything).

As played pre, I prefer just betting the flop. Just because he checked doesn't mean we never get a bet out of him, and there are cards that can come where we no longer have the best hand, or can no longer get any action after.

But okay, we check. Then we bet turn and get jammed on. We can never ever fold. We have so under-repped our hand that almost nothing else matters in the action. Villain can never put us on a hand this good, and in fact probably won't give us many if any value bets on the turn.

On top of that, the turn allows MANY draws to be available to the villain now, so we have a spot where he can have bluffs, can expect US to have bluffs, so it makes a ton of sense for him to just rip it in with air. He absolutely can ALSO have nutted hands, but we still actually have equity against those as well.

Good call on the turn, but again I'd be closely examining preflop and especially the flop decisions.

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one way to estimate if you played well is to count up the pot at each stage and multiply out your odds of winning. I know none of this was visible to you at the time, but...

you were as 75% or so to win 8000 post flop. after the turn you put in a bunch of money and you had roughly 90% chance of winning...so in the long term you'll do fine playing this right...I think?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands