Two defining tournament hands.

V

Vancha1989

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to post a couple of hands which pretty much defined my result in a recent, small tournament. It was a 30euro freezout at my local poker club, the first time I've played there, so most of the player were unknowns. Anyways, into the action.

Starting stack size was 4,000 chips, and I had moved my way up to around 7,000 chips as a result of a nice hand where I slow played a made flush on the flop. I didn't have many reads on the table, and this first hand occured one hand after my flush.

I picked up AdJd in late middle position after it had been folded around to me. I raised the standard 4x the BB(SB 50 BB 100 at this point) and got 3 callers, not a great result. The LAG player on the button announced he was calling for value. bluff?
Flop: Js 5h 7c

I act first, and make a pot sized bet not wanting to scare anyone off. It's folded around to the LAG player, who announces after a long though that he is all in, for around 3,000 chips. My thought here was that he was not bluffing about the calling for value, and he saw weakness in my bet. The pot was reasonably large, around 1,500 chips, so significant compared to his stack. He seemed to me to be bluffing, so I snap called.

He turns over J5o for two pair, and I don't improve.

About 10 hands later, and I am sitting on around 4,000 chips, and pick up A9o in middle position. There were 4 limpers infront of me and still 5 or 6 to act behind me, so decided to play it safe a just call (perhaps a mistake in hindsight). Everyone else fold except the SB who calls and BB who checks (BB is LAG player who beat my top pair top kicked with two pair before)

Flop 5h 7c 9d

Checked around to me and I bet around 400 chips into a pot of about 600, hoping to take it down there with my top pair top kicker. Folded around to BB who calls. (At this point I had almost no read, he could have legitametly had anything having not had to pay to play the hand, not raising pre flop, perhaps middle pair)

Turn card: As

A good card for me obviously, but he comes out betting, betting 500. I re raise to 1500 and he puts me all in. I call, and he turns over 68o for the straight.

Not a good day at the tables but I don't feel I played the hands horrifically. I feel I should have perhaps raised with A9o in the second hand, but the first hand I don't see how I could have got away with. He was LAG and had bluffed many people off hands. Anyways just looking for some feedback to see how anyone else would have played the hands.
Cheers.

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be easy for me to text you should have learned your lesson on the first hand, but that be just plain stupid.

Being new to this live tourney, you have no reads, but I would go back, again, and again. At least you have a read on the ATM, plus others have a read on you...

The first hand you played well and got unlucky via donkish play, but even then you had some outs, any A,7 or runner-runner pr over 5, scoops you the pot.

The second pot, well, if you raise preflop, BB makes another donkey 'value' call?? Who knows?? When you limp and the BB flops a str, well, bet your top pr and maybe see the check, smooth call as a red flag??? When you turn 2pr, looks good, but very bad card for you, and hard to get away from, but they do lead into you, which should probably be another red flag? This hand doesn't play the same as the first, but you could easily put them on another 2pr play, which you have crushed, unless they have A9... Regardless, you may want to slow down here and start thinking, what the f is donkey doing here? Not sure I would re-raise here, as I think you have enough info to know where you're at, the BB special could have any cards, and the last time they had 2pr, they allin??? right??? Maybe, just maybe, smells fishy here? Just call and hope to fill up, and see what you have to call on the river???

Just imo, the reraise, and call allin, for your tourney life, can't back you there. But I see how it is hard to get away from those hands, considering, the same person is kinda sorta getting lucky against you, or not.

Maybe they aren't as donkey as I give them credit for, they may have a better read on you.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands