TT vs flop donk; $11 6-max MTT

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is 39/7/2.5, and I've been in similar situations (me raising his limp) before with me winning w/o showdown.

I'm a tight 20/15/7 at this point, having showed down kings twice, but have been getting somewhat aggressive lately.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed)

Hero (t6751)
Button (t818)
SB (t3609)
BB (t4101)
UTG (t9771)
MP (t8099)

Preflop: Hero is CO with
ts.gif
th.gif
1 fold, MP calls t150, Hero raises to t600, 3 folds, MP calls t450.

Flop: (t1425)
kh.gif
2h.gif
4h.gif
(2 players)
MP bets t1350, Hero ...

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero ... Min raises? Ooop, sorry, that's what ususally happens to me lately.

Calls to see what the turn brings, and to see what the villian does after being called since he's OOP and raised preflop. Raising puts too much stack in the pot and I have no idea what I'd do if I raised and he called.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on a few things. How have you been doing recently in previous sit and go's? If you've been winning/losing et-cetra. There are only 2 options here, either raise or fold. By just calling you have no idea where he stands especially if he bets out on the turn no matter what card comes.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How have you been doing recently in previous sit and go's? If you've been winning/losing et-cetra.

What bearing does that have on our decision?

Also a correction; this is an MTT, not a SnG.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold unless I've a really solid read that he's a compulisve pottish sized continuation better.

There's no card I like on the turn other than a Ten. A heart could be bad news as well. It's reraise big to get him off the hand or fold and there's too much bad news out there Kx and even 22 and 44 fit nicely here (we're ahead a fair chunk of the time, but with stack sizes and the flop this isn't the time to make a stand).

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy bearing considering if you've won a few times straight or just won an MTT recently. If you have been on per-say a winning streak, every now and then based on that, one does need to gamble. Yet however if you wish to play cautiously you can. This scenario is either aggresive by re-raising or fold and wait for a much better hand. For all you know at best I would put him on Kx or a low pair. If indeed you are against a set 1:8 then so be it. He may also be betting to represent a flush as well while holding nothing. By just calling here, you gain no information.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you that calling is probably the worst option, but our recent successes or losses in previous games have nothing to do with this.

Why would we 'need to gamble' if we've been on a winning streak? That makes absolutely no sense...

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would we 'need to gamble' if we've been on a winning streak? That makes absolutely no sense...

That is exactly my point. Either be aggresive here or you don't and fold. For all you know the pot bet is a steal. Would the bet make any more sense if he made a mini-bet, you re-raised to have him come over the top of you?

Yet also to remember you are on the flush draw as well with only 3 other cards to beat you. Yet so many hands here the villian may or may not have, the problem here was villian beat you to the punch by betting out 1st.

The questions are,
dangerous flop? Yes
Can you make the villian fold with a re-raise? Possible if he is indeed on a steal, if not then you know where you stand(you still have chips to work with after the turn if indeed you fold there)
Did villian actually hit the flush or monster flop? One wouldn't think so cause normally villian would check in hopes of you betting so he could check raise to gather more chips.

So here in essence being that I have won lately and can take a loss based apon that, yes nobody likes to lose. I would re-raise villian saying I have a hand and now lets see your response.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having been on a winning streak is a terrible reason to start gambling. Good recent successes is a terrible reason to play sub-optimal poker and start gambling.

I folded this one. Yes, it's possible he's bluffing or is drawing, but we're rarely a significant favourite here and I didn't want to risk my tourney life on an underpair here.

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we have to give villain credit for the hand here. Calling is horrible because we lose all fold equity. Shoving is bad because I don't like to put my tourney life on the line with an underpair. The only real option is to fold which even if I don't like we have to do.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having been on a winning streak is a terrible reason to start gambling. Good recent successes is a terrible reason to play sub-optimal poker and start gambling.

No it may not be, but also sitting here so tight you squeak and your chips are gaining cobwebs isn't a reason to stop gambling either.
Being afraid on a scary flop with a bet in front of you isn't either.
What reads, patterns you have of villian.

We all agree the safe thing to do is fold, but being you were the aggressor to begin with, either keep being the aggresor or your not.

By the way there is plenty of fold equity after the flop, you re-raise 2x the initial raise, leaves around 3800 in chips with the blinds being small enough to keep you above the 8-10X BB.