TT vs check-minraise; $16 turbo STT

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is ~27/14/1 through about 50 hands over two tables, and I'm my usual TAG self at about 13/13/2, though I'm loosening up some.

wtf is this ch-minraise and what's our play?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

SB (t4092)
BB (t1020)
UTG (t2410)
MP (t3355)
Hero (t2623)

Preflop: Hero is Button with
th.gif
ts.gif
UTG calls t100, 1 fold, Hero raises to t400, 2 folds, UTG calls t300.

Flop: (t950)
4c.gif
8s.gif
7s.gif
(2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets t700, UTG instaraises to t1400, Hero ...

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have trouble with these. It looks like he might have hit a set, but I dont think Im getting away. I would probably shove, but you could fold and still be in OK shape with 1500 chips.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Considering we have not far off half our stack invested here, we have a reasonable likelihood of having the best hand (UTG could have all sorts that we beat here - 99/A8/A7/T9/spades/etc), and we have backdoor possibilities in the event that we are behind I happily shove here.

An added bonus is even if he's totally bluffing he has to call your shove because he's committed himself.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is clearly a lottery hand as it stands now. With his PF limp/call raise, it could be a set or a small/medium PP like 55-66-99 that puts you on 2 overcards and thinks you missed this flop (I make plays like this every now and then, but rather than minraising I'd shove). There is an outside chance it might even be QQ+ played in a trapping way, although its less likely. A FD, I believe, would likely shove rather than minraise and his PF line hardly resembles 2 high cards, although A8/A7 type of hands aren't impossible.

So you could be ahead of a smaller pair or behind a set, and a small chance you're behind a bigger pair. I really think his range is wide with that limp. His minraise is also kind of worrysome, because he left himself with 600 behind so he's going all the way.

You could still fold and have 1500 left, although its a huge hit on your image too, or just take a chance to go busto hoping he has a smaller pair or maybe some kind of A8 hand. Out of curiosity, why make a 700 c-bet if pot is 950? Wouldn't 500/550 be good enough?

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
call me a noob but i dont know what the 3 numbers meean in the #/#/#, but just as a guess im thinking that you're saying the villian is a little looser.

so if thats the case, i wouldnt have a problem putting him on A8 or A7 or small PP (i doubt he has a set here minraising. this play seems to me as more of a feeler bet type than an actual value bet) here with him thinking that you had AK or something of that sort and hes just making a play back at you to see where you stand.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this play seems to me as more of a feeler bet type than an actual value bet) here with him thinking that you had AK or something of that sort and hes just making a play back at you to see where you stand.

I've actually been noticing this type of play a lot recently - especially vs c-bets from tag players like me. It actually does work a lot of the time, but when a pot's this big and I've committed so much of my stack, there's no way I can fold this.

His ch-minraise is supposed to signal great strength to me, but against a player like this I know he's making a play at me the majority of the time. He's the type of player that if he's got trips, he'd be slowplaying. There is of course the chance of an overpair too, though.

Anyways, I push, he almost instacalls with KJo, and I win the pot.

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've actually been noticing this type of play a lot recently - especially vs c-bets from tag players like me. It actually does work a lot of the time, but when a pot's this big and I've committed so much of my stack, there's no way I can fold this.

His ch-minraise is supposed to signal great strength to me, but against a player like this I know he's making a play at me the majority of the time. He's the type of player that if he's got trips, he'd be slowplaying. There is of course the chance of an overpair too, though.

Anyways, I push, he almost instacalls with KJo, and I win the pot.

so hes stupider than we thought. :p

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but when a pot's this big and I've committed so much of my stack, there's no way I can fold this.

Meaning you'd still shove with hands like AQ or AK?

Also, I still don't understand the 700 c-bet.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Meaning you'd still shove with hands like AQ or AK?

Actually, I think I'm wrong in considering how much I have in the pot - I should be considering pot odds strictly. With AQ/AK I occasionally will get my money in here. We're not getting odds against a smaller pair (say 99 or 55 here), so villain would have to be bluffing with overcards enough of the time for me to make a good call.

Of course this guy has to be a maniac, and this guy was getting there.

Also, I still don't understand the 700 c-bet.

I think that was just a mistake due to the multitabling. It's a little too much, but occasionally I'll actually do that with an overpair to see if I can stack someone who thinks that my bet is supposed to be a bluff, and thinks that A8 or whatever might be good there.